News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

A couple i've been thinking about during lockdown...

Bilston - Merry Hill via Ambergate Rd, Coseley, Sedgley, Gornal Wood & Pensnett.  Frequency could be hourly.

Shrewsbury - Hereford.  Effectively an extension of the 435, but would operate straight down the A49 skipping Condover, All Stretton & Wistanstow.  Frequency every 2 hours.

bususer28

I would personally bring back the X61 as the X20 and 63 take roughly the same time to get from city to Northfield, about 35-40 mins, even though one is designated as an express whereas with the X61, it was easily done in under half an hour outside of peak times.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: bususer28 on August 12, 2020, 10:27:22 AM
I would personally bring back the X61 as the X20 and 63 take roughly the same time to get from city to Northfield, about 35-40 mins, even though one is designated as an express whereas with the X61, it was easily done in under half an hour outside of peak times.
I've just looked at the old timetables from the X61, the journey time from Northfield to City in the off peak was only 1 minute quicker than the 63. On Journeys from City to Northfield the X61 was only 3 minutes quicker than the 63. So bringing back the X61 is really a non starter.

j789

What I would do is somewhat complicated but I think would work.

1) Extend the X20 from Cofton Hackett over the Lickey hills direct to Bromsgrove. The X20 would run along Bristol Road the whole way but could still serve the QE via the Selly Oak bypass if needed then return to Bristol road. This would also replace the former 202 route through Lickey to Bromsgrove and give a much quicker direct route to Bromsgrove than the 144 currently. Despite the regular Bromsgrove to Brum trains, the train station is not located in town so this route would be very appealing and could get to Birmingham in well under an hour. Keep the frequency as every 20 mins.

2) to replace the x20 through the uni route, I would introduce the x45 or possibly the X23 to fit in the system. This would run from Birmingham to selly oak via the current x20 route, then via linden road to Cotteridge then via pershore road through kings norton, West Heath, Barnt  green, Alvechurch and finally Redditch. This would also replace the withdrawn 146 route from Birmingham to Redditch. This would provide many New areas with direct links to the QE and Birmingham university. Also giving Bourneville a direct route to Birmingham.

I think both routes are workable and would give NXWM presence in new areas.

Quote from: j789 on August 12, 2020, 02:08:40 PM
What I would do is somewhat complicated but I think would work.

1) Extend the X20 from Cofton Hackett over the Lickey hills direct to Bromsgrove. The X20 would run along Bristol Road the whole way but could still serve the QE via the Selly Oak bypass if needed then return to Bristol road. This would also replace the former 202 route through Lickey to Bromsgrove and give a much quicker direct route to Bromsgrove than the 144 currently. Despite the regular Bromsgrove to Brum trains, the train station is not located in town so this route would be very appealing and could get to Birmingham in well under an hour. Keep the frequency as every 20 mins.

2) to replace the x20 through the uni route, I would introduce the x45 or possibly the X23 to fit in the system. This would run from Birmingham to selly oak via the current x20 route, then via linden road to Cotteridge then via pershore road through kings norton, West Heath, Barnt  green, Alvechurch and finally Redditch. This would also replace the withdrawn 146 route from Birmingham to Redditch. This would provide many New areas with direct links to the QE and Birmingham university. Also giving Bourneville a direct route to Birmingham.

I think both routes are workable and would give NXWM presence in new areas.
Thought the train ran to Redditch and Alverchurch from Birmingham Uni and QE? Also think the 146 is hourly and the Diamond service has been cut back numerous times, why would an every 20 minute service would be needed?

X20 and X21/X22 seem fine as they are from what I've seen, so not sure why changes are needed. The current frequency is definitely needed at peaks as the stops along Uni Station and North Gate stops through the Uni used to get very busy towards City Centre from my experience pre March.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

j789

Quote from: 2206 on August 12, 2020, 02:23:20 PM
Thought the train ran to Redditch and Alverchurch from Birmingham Uni and QE? Also think the 146 is hourly and the Diamond service has been cut back numerous times, why would an every 20 minute service would be needed?

X20 and X21/X22 seem fine as they are from what I've seen, so not sure why changes are needed. The current frequency is definitely needed at peaks as the stops along Uni Station and North Gate stops through the Uni used to get very busy towards City Centre from my experience pre March.

A very easy adjustment if the Redditch section needs less frequency is run short trips to west Heath, eg two shorts plus one full trip would keep a 20 minute frequency on the Birmingham bit. Definite possibilities with that new route. As for the x20 idea, I am very surprised it hasnt already been tried as it would need only two extra vehicles with it being less than 20 mins from Rednal island to Bromsgrove. Having driven the 144 for years, trust me there are plenty of potential passengers for Bromsgrove from  brum plus Lickey gets a direct route to Brum again as it doesn't have a train link either unless you drive to Longbridge.

Quote from: j789 on August 12, 2020, 03:32:41 PM
A very easy adjustment if the Redditch section needs less frequency is run short trips to west Heath, eg two shorts plus one full trip would keep a 20 minute frequency on the Birmingham bit. Definite possibilities with that new route. As for the x20 idea, I am very surprised it hasnt already been tried as it would need only two extra vehicles with it being less than 20 mins from Rednal island to Bromsgrove. Having driven the 144 for years, trust me there are plenty of potential passengers for Bromsgrove from  brum plus Lickey gets a direct route to Brum again as it doesn't have a train link either unless you drive to Longbridge.
Running shorts to West Heath would probably make sense.

Would it be any quicker running it along the Bristol Road from the QE  than its current route?
If it did go along the Bristol Road, maybe Aston Webb Blvd, New Fosse Way, Vincent Drive, Pritchatts Road, right onto (where it currently turns left) Edgbaston Park Road, Bristol Road maybe if it still served the QE. So it could stop with the other City Centre routes outside the station.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SO6597

Interestingly, one of the original suggestions for the South Bham changes in July 2018 was to reroute the 47 beyond Cotteridge via Bournville, Selly Oak and the QE/Uni. At that point the X20 wasn't on the radar.

Busboy105

Quote from: j789 on August 12, 2020, 03:32:41 PM
If that's true about what you said about the 144, I'm surprised that neither NX or Diamond have taken advantage of the fact that First messed up by reducing the 144's frequency.

j789

Quote from: Busboy105 on August 12, 2020, 05:19:23 PM
If that's true about what you said about the 144, I'm surprised that neither NX or Diamond have taken advantage of the fact that First messed up by reducing the 144's frequency.

Diamond made a complete mess of competing on the route several years ago and withdrew from it. Competing directly against the 144 is not a good idea as the Catshill to Bromsgrove and beyond section is still every 15 minutes or thereabouts on that part so would be a difficult thing to make successful. My idea for the x20 wouldn't go via Catshill but instead over the Lickey hills straight to the M42 motorway island and into Bromsgrove that way so wouldn't be a direct competitor to the 144. I also think NXWM are in the best position to be successful on such a route because of the already high frequency on Bristol road, other companies would still be competing against them on that section and it would be a challenge to compete successfully for short hop passengers within the West Midlands boundary.

bususer28

Quote from: j789 on August 12, 2020, 05:31:40 PM
Diamond made a complete mess of competing on the route several years ago and withdrew from it. Competing directly against the 144 is not a good idea as the Catshill to Bromsgrove and beyond section is still every 15 minutes or thereabouts on that part so would be a difficult thing to make successful. My idea for the x20 wouldn't go via Catshill but instead over the Lickey hills straight to the M42 motorway island and into Bromsgrove that way so wouldn't be a direct competitor to the 144. I also think NXWM are in the best position to be successful on such a route because of the already high frequency on Bristol road, other companies would still be competing against them on that section and it would be a challenge to compete successfully for short hop passengers within the West Midlands boundary.
I have to be honest and I think it's an amazing idea. They took the leap to extend to Lichfield, Stafford and Cannock throughout the day so I don't see why there wouldn't be market potential there. Another idea would be for NXWM to take over Johnsons X20 as for people from south Birmingham who need to get to Coventry have little choice other than going through city or the NEC. It would also be good to reintroduce a link to Stratford which I'm sure would be very popular at weekends.

Stu

Quote from: bususer28 on August 12, 2020, 11:19:00 PM
Another idea would be for NXWM to take over Johnsons X20 as for people from south Birmingham who need to get to Coventry have little choice other than going through city or the NEC. It would also be good to reintroduce a link to Stratford which I'm sure would be very popular at weekends.

I live in south Birmingham. I don't really ever have a need to travel to Coventry but if I did, I'd get the X20 from Shirley.  ;)

Link to Stratford from where? The X20 goes to Stratford via Solihull and Shirley.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Kevin

Quote from: bususer28 on August 12, 2020, 11:19:00 PM
I have to be honest and I think it's an amazing idea. They took the leap to extend to Lichfield, Stafford and Cannock throughout the day so I don't see why there wouldn't be market potential there. Another idea would be for NXWM to take over Johnsons X20 as for people from south Birmingham who need to get to Coventry have little choice other than going through city or the NEC. It would also be good to reintroduce a link to Stratford which I'm sure would be very popular at weekends.

How is any of that making a change to a service? All you're saying is you want NXWM to take the X20 from Johnson's. If people want to do that journey the route already exists

Unless you are for real suggesting extend the Longbridge X20 all the way across to Solihull then Coventry.... 😂 😂
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

bususer28

I mean for NXWM to take over the service to Stratford and from Solihull to Coventry. The tickets are really expensive especially from Solihull to Stratford so if NXWM took it over, it would be good for visiting Stratford and provide competition to the train which at the moment is roughly the same if not cheaper than the bus.
Quote from: Kevin on August 13, 2020, 08:02:29 AM

Unless you are for real suggesting extend the Longbridge X20 all the way across to Solihull then Coventry.... 😂 😂
As interesting as that would be no! But I mean it could operate as the X20, 49 and then the Johnsons X20 but that would be ridiculous, worse than the 53 in the day.

Bob

Maybe there might be options for a further expansion into Cannock when the Designer Outlet opens next year. Its expected to draw in people from all over

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk