News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: sonic84 on May 04, 2020, 08:18:52 AM
Similarly the 62 became the X62, 98 And then X20 so perhaps the frequency of these changes is more of an issue.
The X64 became silly in the end - it changed so frequently.
But there was a 6 year gap between the 98 and X20 being introduced - so not like it happened in a short space of time. Wouldn't make any sense not to change it to X20 either when the other routes in the area are numbered in the 2X numbering sequence I think.

When the X64 was rerouted to replace the 99 in 2017 it was strange they didn't renumber it at the time. As it was then a completely different route to when it ran down the Bristol Road.
I also recall that change was fairly confusing for people from what I saw - as people were still expecting it to go down the Bristol Road.
Though perhaps it was only intended to run in the short term anyway until the 2018 changes.

And from passenger loadings that I went on the X20, X21 and X22 (prior to the lockdown), the double deckers were definitley required as well. So think the removal of the B7RLE and 2018 changes made sense.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

markcf83

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on May 03, 2020, 07:59:55 PM
This is another reason why it is confusing.  For example, you've got four services numbered 5 across the NX network in Wolves, Dudley, West Brom & Birmingham.  I think the old numbering system they used (2xx for Dudley, 3xx for Walsall, 4xx for West Brom & 5xx for Wolves) worked effectively, as it ensured no confusion between the different services in each area.

I would have to agree. At least then, you knew where you were-now you're having to rack your brain to work out, without a map, where they all run. It's change for the sake of change.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Pat

What annoys me the most is the 'X' numbering of some of the platinum routes.  Take the X12 for example, yes it runs fast for 12 minutes as far as Washwood Heath but after that, it stops at every pillar and post known to man taking 1hr 20mins to get to Solihull.  Not an express route in my opinion.  Perhaps numbering the platinum services 9xx like some of the Perry Barr services could be better?  E.g the X12 could become the 912.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on May 04, 2020, 12:00:27 PM
What annoys me the most is the 'X' numbering of some of the platinum routes.  Take the X12 for example, yes it runs fast for 12 minutes as far as Washwood Heath but after that, it stops at every pillar and post known to man taking 1hr 20mins to get to Solihull.  Not an express route in my opinion.  Perhaps numbering the platinum services 9xx like some of the Perry Barr services could be better?  E.g the X12 could become the 912.
No - 9xx series is from the past and never had much of an impact anyway, the 'X' is more in line with other bus companies around the country. I will concede that 'X' is overused e.g X20/X21/X22 because they really should be 20, 21, 22, also I think the sooner they renumber the 907, 934-7 and 997 to X34 etc the better. Also, 912 has less impact than X12.

Pat

Quote from: Steve3229vp on May 04, 2020, 12:51:02 PM
No - 9xx series is from the past and never had much of an impact anyway, the 'X' is more in line with other bus companies around the country. I will concede that 'X' is overused e.g X20/X21/X22 because they really should be 20, 21, 22, also I think the sooner they renumber the 907, 934-7 and 997 to X34 etc the better. Also, 912 has less impact than X12.
I suppose, but advertising a service as express when it is anything but is a bit misleading.  People may use the X12 to get to Solihull as they think it is an express so will get them there quickly, even though there are other faster, direct services like the 4.

Tony

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on May 04, 2020, 01:11:30 PM
I suppose, but advertising a service as express when it is anything but is a bit misleading.  People may use the X12 to get to Solihull as they think it is an express so will get them there quickly, even though there are other faster, direct services like the 4.

To people of Bromford Bridge it is a very express service.

The X12 isn't advertised as an express route to Solihull, in fact the destination states Chelmsley Wood then Solihull

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on May 04, 2020, 12:00:27 PM
X12 doesn't go to Washwood Heath either that's the 55 and 94.
Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on May 04, 2020, 01:11:30 PM
Well a few probably have taken it instead of the X2 to Solihull or X1 to Airport in the past. But to be fair that's their own fault for not checking what service they need to take in the first place if they choose to take a bus that's going to go the longer way.
Quote from: Steve3229vp on May 04, 2020, 12:51:02 PM
I will concede that 'X' is overused e.g X20/X21/X22 because they really should be 20, 21, 22,
Also, 912 has less impact than X12.
They're the fastest service to the QE - so think the X number makes sense. And isn't the X20 is limited stop on the Bristol Road after Selly Oak as well? And wouldn't 20 have less impact than X20 as well?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Pat

Quote from: 2206 on May 04, 2020, 01:40:28 PM
X12 doesn't go to Washwood Heath either that's the 55 and 94.
Erm... yes it does.  The first stop ex city (Bromford Drive) is in Washwood Heath/Bromford Bridge.

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on May 04, 2020, 02:02:20 PM
Erm... yes it does.  The first stop ex city (Bromford Drive) is in Washwood Heath.
The first stop ex City is at Bromford Bridge - not Washwood Heath.
Timetable states Bromford Bridge, Bromford Drive (adj).

Washwood Heath is the area by Aston Church Road/Job Centre/Green Supermarket that the 55 and 94 serve.
e.g Washwood Heath, Highfield Road.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on May 04, 2020, 02:02:20 PM
Erm... yes it does.  The first stop ex city (Bromford Drive) is in Washwood Heath/Bromford Bridge.

Most vehicle run from city via the Aston Expressway and Tyburn Road, so don't go within a mile of Washwood Heath, let alone stop.

I presume you are arguing over a route you don't use

Pat

Quote from: Tony on May 04, 2020, 02:06:42 PM
Most vehicle run from city via the Aston Expressway and Tyburn Road, so don't go within a mile of Washwood Heath, let alone stop.

I presume you are arguing over a route you don't use
You're right, I don't use the X12.  From my research (Google Maps and Bus Checker) I saw that the first stop (Bromford Drive) is in Washwood Heath.  I'm not trying to argue here, just reiterating what my research tells me.

Tony

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on May 04, 2020, 02:10:53 PM
You're right, I don't use the X12.  From my research (Google Maps and Bus Checker) I saw that the first stop (Bromford Drive) is in Washwood Heath.  I'm not trying to argue here, just merely pointing out what my research tells me.

Why not use the NXWM or TfWM site for research, far more likely to be accurate

Pat

Quote from: Tony on May 04, 2020, 02:22:01 PM
The NXWM website has taken down the X12 timetable and route map and Network West Midlands only shows the route from Castle Bromwich to Solihull for some reason, hence why I didn't use them.

Gareth

We'll not mention the X12's third possible route into the city centre and confuse him.

I'd imagine that's only use when the other two are complete gridlock and anytime of time keeping is impossible.

I've only ever seen that variation used city bound, never in the other direction. Same with x70.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Tony on May 04, 2020, 02:22:01 PM

To be honest Tony.

My experience of the NX website it is not always up to date. I have had to pull them up on some of the mistakes I've found. So you saying Why not use the NXWM or TfWM site for research, far more likely to be accurate for research for @NXWMFAN1105 could be missleading him. Yes I grant you 9 times out of 10 it may be correct but when I've checked it it's not always correct and I'm constantly cheching it for changes to bus service (not so much now).

TfWM is also not always correct but they are more likely to be correct.  Not try to start an augument.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk