News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: bususer28 on August 13, 2020, 10:25:17 AM
I mean for NXWM to take over the service to Stratford and from Solihull to Coventry. The tickets are really expensive especially from Solihull to Stratford so if NXWM took it over, it would be good for visiting Stratford and provide competition to the train which at the moment is roughly the same if not cheaper than the bus. As interesting as that would be no! But I mean it could operate as the X20, 49 and then the Johnsons X20 but that would be ridiculous, worse than the 53 in the day.

Tickets are 'really expensive' for a reason.

NXWM fare scales work on high density routes in the West Midlands, but as proved by the 54 to Stafford it is very difficult to make them work on longer routes where you are basically selling a seat for an hour for an average of £1

j789

Quote from: Tony on August 23, 2020, 10:33:05 AM
Tickets are 'really expensive' for a reason.

NXWM fare scales work on high density routes in the West Midlands, but as proved by the 54 to Stafford it is very difficult to make them work on longer routes where you are basically selling a seat for an hour for an average of £1

I do think NXWM are in a much stronger position than any other local company to run these types of routes though because they have the high density market already on sections of the route. If new routes can be incorporated into existing high frequency networks then the risk is much less as the passengers will still be there on the higher density part. This could then part subsidise the route extension to new areas until they are popular enough to support themselves. Maybe Stafford just wasn't ideal bus territory but other places would be. I suggested on here a couple of weeks ago extending the X20 to Bromsgrove via Lickey. This would involve a maximum of two extra vehicles on a 20 minute frequency as it is less than 20 mins from rednal to Bromsgrove even with stopping. It would still get the higher density rednal to City passengers but also open up to Bromsgrove commuters . Such a service would be comparable to the train service too whereas perhaps Wolverhampton to Stafford was more difficult with the train service much quicker and more convenient. Bromsgrove station is in a terrible place for most of the local residents.

:D

That's one of a few major risks - Stratford, Bromsgrove and Cannock already has an established bus market.

I think Cannock is far easier for NXWM as it's closer to NXWM operations area and most people from there do visit Walsall/Wolverhampton regularly for whatever their reason is.

Bromsgrove and Stratford isn't as close.

My suggestion for Cannock is introduce a new NXWM bus route between Wolverhampton and Cannock. I am aware there is already bus route but I'm sure NXWM would be able to offer a better quality of service on that route especially it used to be operated by Arriva and now a small bus operator.

Also it'd mean Cannock will have 2 NXWM bus routes and it could push people to buy a pass rather than a ticket.

Westy

Quote from: :D on August 23, 2020, 06:45:42 PM
That's one of a few major risks - Stratford, Bromsgrove and Cannock already has an established bus market.

I think Cannock is far easier for NXWM as it's closer to NXWM operations area and most people from there do visit Walsall/Wolverhampton regularly for whatever their reason is.

Bromsgrove and Stratford isn't as close.

My suggestion for Cannock is introduce a new NXWM bus route between Wolverhampton and Cannock. I am aware there is already bus route but I'm sure NXWM would be able to offer a better quality of service on that route especially it used to be operated by Arriva and now a small bus operator.

Also it'd mean Cannock will have 2 NXWM bus routes and it could push people to buy a pass rather than a ticket.

Yes, they did do that until a couple or so years ago, but due to the gradual winding down of the i54 subsidy it used, it was no longer profitable.

(I gather it did start out many years ago as a Wolves Corparation route, until 1973, when it passed to Midland Red!)

Bus Man K2

I'd like to seeNx operate a service to Kidderminster from Stourbridge.

May be by extending the 9 to Kiddy.

They way they could do this is revert the timetable back to operating pre covid times (yes I know it's already operating at at 12 min frequency, but that wasn't the pre covid frequency). Then they could extend every other journey to Kidderminster. So it would run 10 mins between Bitmingham and Stourbridge and every 20-30 mins to  Kidderminster.

the trainbasher

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on August 24, 2020, 04:57:23 PM
I'd like to seeNx operate a service to Kidderminster from Stourbridge.

May be by extending the 9 to Kiddy.

They way they could do this is revert the timetable back to operating pre covid times (yes I know it's already operating at at 12 min frequency, but that wasn't the pre covid frequency). Then they could extend every other journey to Kidderminster. So it would run 10 mins between Bitmingham and Stourbridge and every 20-30 mins to  Kidderminster.

Hourly is more than enough

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: the trainbasher on August 24, 2020, 05:24:57 PM
Hourly is more than enough

May be Houlry during the day is enough but for commuters it just simply doesn't as it either means that they arrive too early for whatever they do or late.  So if the route was to  be taken over or made a new route  then may be the timetable wouldn't be so hectic in the peaks. As if they operate a service at a half hourly frequency like I suggested then may be more people would use the bus instead of their own car. Not saying it would work to get moe passengers or potential new ones but it could be trialled?

Stu

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on August 24, 2020, 05:43:36 PM
May be Houlry during the day is enough but for commuters it just simply doesn't as it either means that they arrive too early for whatever they do or late.  So if the route was to  be taken over or made a new route  then may be the timetable wouldn't be so hectic in the peaks. As if they operate a service at a half hourly frequency like I suggested then may be more people would use the bus instead of their own car. Not saying it would work to get moe passengers or potential new ones but it could be trialled?

I would imagine people in Kidderminster commuting to and from Birmingham either use the train, or drive their own car.

There used to be a 192 service between Kidderminster and Birmingham operated by Diamond, that was withdrawn/curtailed due to 'lack of use'.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on August 24, 2020, 06:08:30 PM
I would imagine people in Kidderminster commuting to and from Birmingham either use the train, or drive their own car.

There used to be a 192 service between Kidderminster and Birmingham operated by Diamond, that was withdrawn/curtailed due to 'lack of use'.

And to cover the cost of operating it fares would end up being close to the price of the faster train

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Tony on August 24, 2020, 06:10:42 PM
And to cover the cost of operating it fares would end up being close to the price of the faster train

Yes possibly but at least you don't have to walk if the bus would run as I said.

This is as the Station is out of the town and for OAP/disabled people it may be too far for them to walk to the town from the train station and at the moment with the current service it does run late some times and also it would open up a later service to Kidderminster to compleat with the train.

The current service only operate to 18:25 from Stourbridge. Which is no good if you have friends who are having a party and you have no other way to get to/from it.

karl724223

Must admit we have a lot of people asking for a bus to kiddiminster from merry hill
And we pick up a lot of passengers from cradley train station who have cone up from kiddiminster saying that they would like a bus to merry hill
Another place sometimes asked for is a bus to bromsgrove from merry hill

Bus Man K2

Quote from: karl724223 on August 24, 2020, 06:33:06 PM
Must admit we have a lot of people asking for a bus to kiddiminster from merry hill
And we pick up a lot of passengers from cradley train station who have cone up from kiddiminster saying that they would like a bus to merry hill
Another place sometimes asked for is a bus to bromsgrove from merry hill

Ok May be Merry  Hill and Bromsgrove are a better bet than Kidderminster to Stourbridge.

Or may be you could do a Kidderminster-Stourbridge-Merry Hill service as well as a Merry  Hill-Bromsgrove service?

Stu

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on August 24, 2020, 06:24:31 PM
This is as the Station is out of the town and for OAP/disabled people it may be too far for them to walk to the town from the train station and at the moment with the current service it does run late some times and also it would open up a later service to Kidderminster to compleat with the train.

The current service only operate to 18:25 from Stourbridge. Which is no good if you have friends who are having a party and you have no other way to get to/from it.

But there are other bus services in Kidderminster that do call at/near the train station.

I doubt many OAPs or disabled people go partying in Birmingham or Stourbridge to be honest.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Stu on August 24, 2020, 07:35:55 PM
But there are other bus services in Kidderminster that do call at/near the train station.

I doubt many OAPs or disabled people go partying in Birmingham or Stourbridge to be honest.

But again the services that serve the Rail Station only operate hourly and until a certain time.

Also I'm not saying all OAP's or Disabled people go partying. I'm just saying that some OAP's or Disabled people do and also find it diffocult to walk far. It also means that other people lije mothers with pushcaris wouldn't have to walk into town from the Rail Station if there was another service that did it apart from the two that alrady do.

Bob

Im hoping NXWM add some more Cannock services especially with the new Designer Outlet coming, given the dire state of Arriva theyd wipe the floor with them

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk