News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Quote from: Tony on May 04, 2020, 06:07:48 PM
As I said originally TfWM would be the best site to check.
Here is a perfectly correct route guide on their site

https://www.networkwestmidlands.com/plan-your-journey/timetables/#/route/cen_33X12_A_H_y11_7-7
Thank you Tony, I can see clearly where TfWM say Washwood Heath is.  Google say it is by the roundabout that goes under the M6, so there is clearly a big difference in the two.

ellspurs

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on May 04, 2020, 06:12:05 PM
Thank you Tony, I can see clearly where TfWM say Washwood Heath is.  Google say it is by the roundabout that goes under the M6, so there is clearly a big difference in the two.

Google is more interested in making us know where The Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield is!

I've sent feedback to Google suggesting they put the Washwood Heath name in the correct place, as well as adding a Bromford in the middle of the estate.

Stu

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on May 04, 2020, 12:00:27 PM
What annoys me the most is the 'X' numbering of some of the platinum routes.  Take the X12 for example, yes it runs fast for 12 minutes as far as Washwood Heath but after that, it stops at every pillar and post known to man taking 1hr 20mins to get to Solihull.  Not an express route in my opinion.  Perhaps numbering the platinum services 9xx like some of the Perry Barr services could be better?  E.g the X12 could become the 912.

The 'X' prefix on route numbers does not necessarily designate it as an 'express' service.

In the case of the X12, it is more a 'limited-stop' service. But only in the sense that it runs 'express' or 'limited stop' between Birmingham city centre and Bromford.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Google is wrong.
Quote from: ellspurs on May 04, 2020, 07:13:55 PM
I've sent feedback to Google suggesting they put the Washwood Heath name in the correct place, as well as adding a Bromford in the middle of the estate.
Quote from: Tony on May 04, 2020, 06:07:48 PM
https://www.networkwestmidlands.com/plan-your-journey/timetables/#/route/cen_33X12_A_H_y11_7-7
I'd also suggest that NWM change "Fort Shopping Centre, Reynoldstown Road (opp)". As there is no way you can cross the motorway to get from Bromford Drive to the Fort Shopping Centre. And its a fairly long walk from there.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Ian Hardy

Don't forget that Google is an American firm and you know how accurate the American's are, bombing the Chinese embassy in Belgrade instead of the Yugoslav Federal Directorate for Supply and Procurement next door.

Looking at the West Midlands A-Z (and also a 1967 1:10, 560 OS map on the National Library of Scotland website) there does not seem to be a specific boundary for the place called Washwood Heath. There is no council ward called Washwood Heath, see Birmingham City Council ward map https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/downloads/file/9810.

The B8 postcode would could be considered to be Washwood Heath actually covers everything north of the Birmingham to Coventry railway between the Middleway bridge and the bridge over the River Cole, then along the east side of Stechford Lane and Bromford Lane then on the North side of the Water Orton to Birmingham railway back to the Middleway. So that includes Saltley & Ward End as well. Also significantly the bus stop: Bromford Bridge, Bromford Drive (adj) is just in the B8 postcode which maybe how Google guessed it was in Washwood Heath.

I will leave it to someone who knows East Birmingham a lot better than I do to define what is Washwood Heath.

Quote from: Ian Hardy on May 04, 2020, 09:21:37 PM
The B8 postcode would could be considered to be Washwood Heath actually covers everything north of the Birmingham to Coventry railway between the Middleway bridge and the bridge over the River Cole, then along the east side of Stechford Lane and Bromford Lane then on the North side of the Water Orton to Birmingham railway back to the Middleway. So that includes Saltley & Ward End as well. Also significantly the bus stop: Bromford Bridge, Bromford Drive (adj) is just in the B8 postcode which maybe how Google guessed it was in Washwood Heath.

I will leave it to someone who knows East Birmingham a lot better than I do to define what is Washwood Heath.
Think the side of Drews Lane towards the City Centre on the Washwood Heath Road would be the best definition of the area - the area where the Job Centre/Green Supermarket, etc are. With to the other side  being Ward End (including the Fox and Goose). And the Bromford Drive area being Bromford.

In regards to the 3rd route the X12/X70 can take, i'm sure I remember a Chelmsley bound X70 Trident taking that route not long after the X12/X70 were introduced. Though it is always the City Centre bound direction normally, and usually at peak times when that route is used.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Pat

Quote from: 2206 on May 04, 2020, 09:26:44 PM
Think the side of the Washwood Heath would be the best definition of the area - where the Job Centre/Aston Church Lane, etc are. With to the other side being Ward End. And the Bromford Drive area being Bromford.
Don't forget that Google is an American firm and you know how accurate the American's are, bombing the Chinese embassy in Belgrade instead of the Yugoslav Federal Directorate for Supply and Procurement next door.

Looking at the West Midlands A-Z (and also a 1967 1:10, 560 OS map on the National Library of Scotland website) there does not seem to be a specific boundary for the place called Washwood Heath. There is no council ward called Washwood Heath, see Birmingham City Council ward map https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/downloads/file/9810.

As many people today use Google Maps on their smartphone to plan a journey, it is critical that the information provided is accurate and up to date.  As I proved, inaccurate information can cause confusion and mislead people.  As I am somewhat unfamiliar with that side of Birmingham, I relied on Google Maps to give me background knowledge in order to write my original post about the X12. 

Moderators: Please accept my apologies, I know this has deviated from the thread topic somewhat!

Tony

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on May 04, 2020, 09:38:54 PM
As many people today use Google Maps on their smartphone to plan a journey, it is critical that the information provided is accurate and up to date.  As I proved, inaccurate information can cause confusion and mislead people.  As I am somewhat unfamiliar with that side of Birmingham, I relied on Google Maps to give me background knowledge in order to write my original post about the X12. 

Moderators: Please accept my apologies, I know this has deviated from the thread topic somewhat!

Google did have correct information in this casem it was their naming of an area that was wrong, not the bus information

Bus Man K2

Quote from: 2206 on May 04, 2020, 08:25:48 PM
Google is wrong.I'd also suggest that NWM change "Fort Shopping Centre, Reynoldstown Road (opp)". As there is no way you can cross the motorway to get from Bromford Drive to the Fort Shopping Centre. And its a fairly long walk from there.
Hi @2206  just for everyone's information any naming of stops is down to the DfT and not the local althority. So if you have any queries on naming of stops then you need to contact the DfT. Y ou can also let NWM/TfWM know but they don't have the power to change stop names.

ellspurs

Quote from: Stu on May 04, 2020, 08:12:50 PM
The 'X' prefix on route numbers does not necessarily designate it as an 'express' service.

In the case of the X12, it is more a 'limited-stop' service. But only in the sense that it runs 'express' or 'limited stop' between Birmingham city centre and Bromford.

From where I am in Smith's Wood, the X12 is akin to the old 962/994 service as "the fast bus to Birmingham". It now, thanks to the 71/72 truncation, also serves as the only direct bus to Solihull from the estate.

Type B8 on Google maps search, and it shows you the area the postcode covers (very handy for delivery planning). The Washwood Heath name is hanging half out of the area.

monkeyjoe

the x12 does not serve Washwood heath, never has.  Procrastinating from a work task not read the whole thing.

Busboy105

Quote from: BH2004 on May 01, 2020, 11:17:46 PM

WN20 (New route)
Wolverhampton to Dudley. 
Every 30 Minutes Monday to Saturday and every 60 mins evening and sundays
between Wolverhampton Bus Station, Penn Road, Coalway Road, Warstones Road, Stourbridge Road, Kingswinford Cross, Pensnett, Russles Hall Hospital and Dudley
linking Wolverhampton and Russles Hall Hospital
Does Wolverhampton need a link to Russells Hall Hospital?
EDIT: Sorry, Winst

@Busboy105 - Can you please edit quotes to only quote the relevant part, rather than the whole list of services, Winston

Tony

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 16, 2020, 07:26:48 PM
Does Wolverhampton need a link to Russells Hall Hospital?

Doubtful Wolverhampton has New Cross which is in the Stafford/Cannock group so people in Wolverhampton generally get treated in that group

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Tony on June 16, 2020, 07:55:46 PM
Doubtful Wolverhampton has New Cross which is in the Stafford/Cannock group so people in Wolverhampton generally get treated in that group

It is proposed that Dudley CCG & its comissing of services from Russell's Hall Hospital will be joining Wolverhampton & Walsall CCG's to form a new single cluster of Black Country CCG & BCHA .

Services may well be rationalised between trust sites as has occurred since Sandwell & West Birmingham Health Authority  was created with a simplified level of hospital services at Rowley Regis Hospital, Sandwell Hospital & City Hospital resulting in services such as Oncology relocated by the CCG to QEHB. This will also form part of Black Country CCG to be known as BCWG

When the proposed reorganisation of the CCG's  is completed TfWM may have look into service provision between hospitals at Russell's Hall, Wolverhampton & Walsall.

MasterPlan

I'd alter the rather weird 25's circular route slightly. Between Harborne Rd & QE Hospital it'd serve the High St, Vivian Road, Harborne Park Rd & then either Metchley Lane or Habrone lane & Aston Webb Boulevard before terminating at the QE. Returning the same way.
Unless there's an actual demand for the service along Ladywood (Which I personally doubt) I'd cut it from there too and send it the same way in and out of City as the 23/24.

I know tenders are a different ball game, it's just my 2p. Would give Harborne Park Road a direct route to City again.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk