News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Quote from: Busboy105 on May 02, 2020, 12:18:58 AM
Why would you renumber the 101 and 529?
I'm pretty sure there's an X35 in Walsall which is probably the reason why 934,935,936 and 937/A haven't been renumbered yet.
X6 is already taken: it's gonna be the new 108 when NX get the tender in a couple of weeks time.
NX have already got the tender, it started on Monday.  The TfWM website said it was going to be numbered X6, but was numbered. X15 for some reason.

Lukeee

ellspurs

busfan2847

The 529 is a nice use of the pre-WMPTE route numbers along that route. The joint Walsall and Wolverhampton trolleybus (bus after 1965) route was the 29. Wolverhampton also operated short journeys as far as Willenhall which was the 5.

Pat

Quote from: ellspurs on May 03, 2020, 10:07:45 AM
Because everything needs to be in two-digit format! Apparently.
They say that 1 or 2 digit numbers are easier to remember & 'simplify' the network.  If anything, it makes it more confusing in my opinion as people will have been used to say the 222 for years, but when a 2 turns up, they have no idea.

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on May 03, 2020, 04:02:58 PM
They say that 1 or 2 digit numbers are easier to remember & 'simplify' the network.  If anything, it makes it more confusing in my opinion as people will have been used to say the 222 for years, but when a 2 turns up, they have no idea.
I never heard anyone confused by the X20 or X2, or asking where the 98 and 957 where.
Other than some initial confusion, I think people get used to it.

If anyone hadn't realised that the 222 was renumbered nearly 2 years ago, they clearly don't travel very often and should check before they travel anyway.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

WyreForestShuttle

First in Worcester seem not to have need for this trendy renumbering habit so popular in the West Midlands County.  The majority of services still use the same service or similar numbers on hwhat is left of the network  of The Birmingham & Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited albiet without a "W" prefix. I am not aware of a clamour to simplify the service numbers of First Midland Red to the company, indeed it is noticable FirstGroup have always maintained the link to the historic fleetname in the offical company title. Passengers seem quite happy with what they are familiar with in Worcestershire. May I also echo Tony's post and remind everyone that the current bus network in England is for essential use only and to thank Tony and  everyone working in the industry at such a difficult time.

Pat

Quote from: 2206 on May 03, 2020, 04:26:19 PM
I never heard anyone confused by the X20 or X2, or asking where the 98 and 957 where.
Other than some initial confusion, I think people get used to it.

If anyone hadn't realised that the 222 was renumbered nearly 2 years ago, they clearly don't travel very often and should check before they travel anyway.
Obviously I knew that the 222 was renumbered 2 years ago, as I use it sometimes.  I was referring to when the service was renumbered 2 years ago, it caused confusion with passengers.  This doesn't just go for the 222, but for most services.  Even today, some people still get confused and don't see why they've been changed.  They just change them for changes sake!

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on May 03, 2020, 05:53:57 PM
Even today, some people still get confused and don't see why they've been changed.  They just change them for changes sake!
I can't see why it would be confusing in the long term - I think most people are able to get used to a route number change. Particularly if for the past 2 years, they have been using the service regularly.
I think the route numbers 19, X20, X21, X22, 23, 24, 25 do fit in with each other more than 244, 10H, 98 and X64 ever did. 
I doubt they'd change things for the sake of it/without any reason either?

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

ellspurs

Quote from: 2206 on May 03, 2020, 07:06:06 PM
I can't see why it would be confusing in the long term - I think most people are able to get used to a route number change. Particularly if for the past 2 years, they have been using the service regularly.
I think the route numbers X20, X21, X22, 23, 24, 25 do fit in with each other more than 10H, 98 and X64 ever did. 
I doubt they'd change things for the sake of it/without any reason either?

This reminds me that there are now three separate route 25 services found on the Birmingham area map alone.

Pat

Quote from: ellspurs on May 03, 2020, 07:40:29 PM
This reminds me that there are now three separate route 25 services found on the Birmingham area map alone.
This is another reason why it is confusing.  For example, you've got four services numbered 5 across the NX network in Wolves, Dudley, West Brom & Birmingham.  I think the old numbering system they used (2xx for Dudley, 3xx for Walsall, 4xx for West Brom & 5xx for Wolves) worked effectively, as it ensured no confusion between the different services in each area.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on May 03, 2020, 07:59:55 PM
This is another reason why it is confusing.  For example, you've got four services numbered 5 across the NX network in Wolves, Dudley, West Brom & Birmingham.  I think the old numbering system they used (2xx for Dudley, 3xx for Walsall, 4xx for West Brom & 5xx for Wolves) worked effectively, as it ensured no confusion between the different services in each area.
I used to think that as well, but things have moved on now and some numbering sequences work quite well now like all buses going towards Sparkbrook which are 2, 3, 4, 4A, 5 and 6, buses to Bearwood are now X8, 9, X10, 12, 12A, 13 and 13A. As for Walsall, West Bromwich and Wolverhampton they're just going back to local numbers as they originally were. The world of buses in the West Midlands has moved on, this numbering debate is pointless. It's time to move on !

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Steve3229vp on May 03, 2020, 08:25:37 PM
I used to think that as well, but things have moved on now and some numbering sequences work quite well now like all buses going towards Sparkbrook which are 2, 3, 4, 4A, 5 and 6, buses to Bearwood are now X8, 9, X10, 12, 12A, 13 and 13A. As for Walsall, West Bromwich and Wolverhampton they're just going back to local numbers as they originally were. The world of buses in the West Midlands has moved on, this numbering debate is pointless. It's time to move on !
And all buses to Worcester are 144, with 3 digits how on earth do intending passengers cope within the West Midlands County with a service that has had the same route number for over 100 years it must be hell coping with a bus service with 3 numbers as its destination.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: ellspurs on May 03, 2020, 07:40:29 PM

They are looking at cutting the Birmingham map up. So perhaps the current 3 separate 25 routes will not be all on one map anymore.  Don't know when that will be though. Will let everyone know on here when I do!!

sonic84

Whilst unpopular originally the new numbering system is here to stay it seems.

I think if routes reviewed / renumbered just once it wouldn't be too much of a problem but the old 636 has been the 636, 99, 244, 19 as things have chopped and changed.

Similarly the 62 became the X62, 98 And then X20 so perhaps the frequency of these changes is more of an issue.

The X64 became silly in the end - it changed so frequently.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk