News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Quote from: Jack on November 10, 2020, 10:46:41 PM
I agree with the 33 going to Asda. But I would send it down Hillingford Avenue instead of continuing along Collingwood like the 5 and 997 do and then send it along the back of Asda and terminate at the 424 stop.
Would mean they aren't getting targeted when on layover at Collingwood terminus.

Agreed.
Long thought that a bus gate across the Queslett Road at Doe Bank where the 33 could better serve that area of Pheasey and the 997 wouldn't have to, then the 33 could run straight down Frampton Way and Hillingford Avenue and loop round Asda.
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

MasterPlan

Quote from: 2206 on November 10, 2020, 11:25:53 PM
Sounds to me like they mean 24 every 15 minutes, 24A extension every 15 minutes Combining to every 7/8 minutes.

Apologies, didn't read it properly. Still, would 24 passengers in Quinton be happy with a decrease in service.

Quote from: mesub on November 11, 2020, 08:39:38 AM
The 39A actually runs between Woodgate Valley South and Northfield, not Quinton.

Yes, just the 39.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Jack

Quote from: Kevin on November 11, 2020, 10:15:24 AM
Agreed.
Long thought that a bus gate across the Queslett Road at Doe Bank where the 33 could better serve that area of Pheasey and the 997 wouldn't have to, then the 33 could run straight down Frampton Way and Hillingford Avenue and loop round Asda.
I didn't think of that but that would be good as well. And the Pheasey 997's can terminate at the church rather than on Stanhope Way.

j789

Quote from: MasterPlan on November 11, 2020, 10:48:50 AM
Apologies, didn't read it properly. Still, would 24 passengers in Quinton be happy with a decrease in service.

Yes, just the 39.

Yes I did mean the main route Quinton to City would remain at the current 7/8 minute frequency just every second bus would extend to Northfield. Also, the only part of the route in Quinton with a decreased frequency would be the Simmons Drive one way loop. It would still be every 15 minutes along there and it's not far to walk to Quinton Road West from around there either. Equally, there would be an increase in the outbound frequency along Quinton Road West towards Northfield so those residents would benefit.

I think it's better than the 29 alternative purely because I like the 76 links that are offered on that route doing the former 29 route, very useful now to get from Harborne to Selly Park, kings Heath (quicker and more reliable than the 11A) and Shirley.

Quote from: j789 on November 11, 2020, 06:05:29 PM
Also, the only part of the route in Quinton with a decreased frequency would be the Simmons Drive one way loop.
I can't see any one way loop shown on the current route map, other than the City Centre loop?
http://www.travelinemidlands.co.uk/wmtis/XSLT_GEOOBJECT_REQUEST?language=en&command=bothDirections&line=cen:33024:B:H:y11:13:5::1:34&hideBannerInfo=1&coordOutputFormat=MRCV

Wasn't that one of the changes that occured over 2 years ago in July 2018, that it no longer did a loop.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

j789

Quote from: 2206 on November 11, 2020, 09:03:20 PM
I can't see any one way loop shown on the current route map, other than the City Centre loop?
http://www.travelinemidlands.co.uk/wmtis/XSLT_GEOOBJECT_REQUEST?language=en&command=bothDirections&line=cen:33024:B:H:y11:13:5::1:34&hideBannerInfo=1&coordOutputFormat=MRCV

Wasn't that one of the changes that occured over 2 years ago in July 2018, that it no longer did a loop.

You may well be right about it having changed, I thought it went one way around Simmons Drive and then back up Quinton Road West to Ridgacre Lane. However, thinking about it he terminus did change to the island at the bottom where it meets West Boulevarde so maybe it does return the same route. If so, even better as my suggestion for the 24/24A could go exactly the same route then.

MasterPlan

Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

BrumKev86

Quote from: Jack on November 10, 2020, 10:46:41 PM
I agree with the 33 going to Asda. But I would send it down Hillingford Avenue instead of continuing along Collingwood like the 5 and 997 do and then send it along the back of Asda and terminate at the 424 stop.
Would mean they aren't getting targeted when on layover at Collingwood terminus.

Extending the 33 to Asda would be good move imo. There's quite an older population around here who rely on doing their weekly shop at Asda and it would provide a regular service to what is the closest stop to the store. Saves them currently having to cross the Queslett Road race track or trudging the other side of the car park to catch the 997 on the Aldridge Road. I would run the 33 along Beacon Road, Hillingford Avenue, Bonnington Way and Romney Way to Buffet Island.

Also I often wonder why the 997 goes up Aldridge Road (Streetly)?. Theres already the 935 and 937 that connects to Birmingham. The 935 to Walsall, the 77 which is nearby and the 937 serves Aldridge. Would it be better to run the 997 via Barr Beacon especially now with demolition of the Perry Barr flyover which is increasing traffic along the route. I would keep it the same from Longwood Road to Walsall, think its important it continues to serve Redhouse Lane and Daw End Lane
Grew up in Great Barr, now living in North Somerset

Jack

Quote from: BrumKev86 on November 15, 2020, 06:51:33 PM
Also I often wonder why the 997 goes up Aldridge Road (Streetly)?. Theres already the 935 and 937 that connects to Birmingham. The 935 to Walsall, the 77 which is nearby and the 937 serves Aldridge. Would it be better to run the 997 via Barr Beacon especially now with demolition of the Perry Barr flyover which is increasing traffic along the route. I would keep it the same from Longwood Road to Walsall, think its important it continues to serve Redhouse Lane and Daw End Lane
But the Beacon Road has the 934 even though theres not many passengers on there, the 997 would miss out the stop on Queslett Road which is quite a walk to other nearby stops, okay the 33 does stop at the Deers Leep, but I doubt many people from there catch is straight to Birmingham and rather a faster journey on the 997. Also the 935 only serves the section until Hundred Acre whereas the 997 serves the whole section.

I'd happily keep the 997 along the other Aldridge Road instead of going off and serving Old Oscott and could extend the 52 from Beeches to Asda or mess around with the 424. That would save the 997 a good 12 minutes of winding along through there.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Jack on November 15, 2020, 07:03:29 PM
But the Beacon Road has the 934 even though theres not many passengers on there, the 997 would miss out the stop on Queslett Road which is quite a walk to other nearby stops, okay the 33 does stop at the Deers Leep, but I doubt many people from there catch is straight to Birmingham and rather a faster journey on the 997. Also the 935 only serves the section until Hundred Acre whereas the 997 serves the whole section.

I'd happily keep the 997 along the other Aldridge Road instead of going off and serving Old Oscott and could extend the 52 from Beeches to Asda or mess around with the 424. That would save the 997 a good 12 minutes of winding along through there.
The Aldridge Road gets a lot of traffic in peaks and at least half the time I've used the 997 in the PM peak we've turned off to go around Old Oscott and reached the end of Shady Lane/Aldridge Road ahead of the traffic we left at Dyas Road so missing out Old Oscott wouldn't really work

Jack

Quote from: Steve3229vp on November 15, 2020, 07:15:45 PM
The Aldridge Road gets a lot of traffic in peaks and at least half the time I've used the 997 in the PM peak we've turned off to go around Old Oscott and reached the end of Shady Lane/Aldridge Road ahead of the traffic we left at Dyas Road so missing out Old Oscott wouldn't really work
Still, the traffic does move its not as bad as some other junctions round here. Would still be faster than going round Old Oscott.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Jack on November 15, 2020, 07:26:11 PM
Still, the traffic does move its not as bad as some other junctions round here. Would still be faster than going round Old Oscott.
How can it be faster ? The last few times i've been on the 997 in peaks I noticed what cars were in front of the bus at the point of going off Aldridge Road around Old Oscott and then back onto Aldridge Road to find the cars had only just reached the Shady lane junction with Aldridge Road and our 997 was back on Aldridge Road in front of them !

the trainbasher

I would divert the 8 so whilst it serves the Waterfront, it would serve the Royal Mail offices at the West end of the Waterfront.

I would also tweak the 7 so it was every 15 mins Stourbridge to Dudley, but the Wollaston section drops to every 30 mins.

Finally I would extend certain 6 journeys to Stourbridge Junction during the peaks terminating at the Station forecourt to improve social distancing on the branch line.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Jack

Quote from: Steve3229vp on November 15, 2020, 07:41:43 PM
How can it be faster ? The last few times i've been on the 997 in peaks I noticed what cars were in front of the bus at the point of going off Aldridge Road around Old Oscott and then back onto Aldridge Road to find the cars had only just reached the Shady lane junction with Aldridge Road and our 997 was back on Aldridge Road in front of them !
This is just in peaks during the rush hour... and the traffic is never at a standstill anyway, it does move. If anything you're just over exaggerating.

Plus its takes ages doing the right turn off Shady Lane because no one gives you way, especially during the rush hour so you're just sitting there waiting patiently for a kind soul to let you out.

Pat

I'd extend either the 41A or 47 from Wednesbury to Great Bridge, to provide a link between the two

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk