News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on February 26, 2020, 07:52:02 PM
@Stu I think it used to do that.
I remember reading a notice on one of the Omnilinks (when the 3 was being single decker operated due to a low bridge on a diversion), that the service was being cut back to no longer serve Shirley Station and the High Street, due to very low usage.

That was when it used to run all the way to Shirley Green Business Park, and prior to that there was the 3 to Solihull (via Streetsbrook Road) as well as the 3A to Acocks Green (via Gospel Oak).

The evening and Sunday service always only ran as far as Slade Lane (where it terminates now) as far as I can remember.

I just wonder how feasible it would be to extend daytime off-peak journeys to Shirley station, as its only a couple of minutes more away from the current terminus on Priory Road. I know I've seen a few comments on local Facebook groups from people who've said they'd find it useful.

At the moment, it terminates in the middle of nowhere. I'd probably use it on a Saturday as another option to get to Solihull or Shirley, alongside the 76.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Busboy105

Quote from: Stu on February 26, 2020, 08:17:16 PM
That was when it used to run all the way to Shirley Green Business Park, and prior to that there was the 3 to Solihull (via Streetsbrook Road) as well as the 3A to Acocks Green (via Gospel Oak).

The evening and Sunday service always only ran as far as Slade Lane (where it terminates now) as far as I can remember.

I just wonder how feasible it would be to extend daytime off-peak journeys to Shirley station, as its only a couple of minutes more away from the current terminus on Priory Road. I know I've seen a few comments on local Facebook groups from people who've said they'd find it useful.

At the moment, it terminates in the middle of nowhere. I'd probably use it on a Saturday as another option to get to Solihull or Shirley, alongside the 76.
The 3 also went to Acocks Green when the 3A was withdrawn I think. But yes I think it terminating at Shirley Town Centre would be much better than Shirley Station where it can connect with services to Solihull.

MasterPlan

Sounds similar to the ☓21 to be honest. At present it stops in the middle of nowhere in a sense by terminating halfway up Woodcock Lane when it could easily carry on to Bangham Pit & Bartley Green.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

ellspurs

As a slight route modification, I would suggest that there could be a variation of the 94, by diverting a couple of buses an hour via Drews Lane and Bromford Lane to the Fox and Goose. Could also have it doing a loop of Smith's Wood, via Windward Way and Auckland Drive, terminating at the bus layby at Lanchester Way, numbered 25 of course as is the trend, numbered 95.

Quote from: MasterPlan on February 26, 2020, 10:19:01 PM
Sounds similar to the ☓21 to be honest. At present it stops in the middle of nowhere in a sense by terminating halfway up Woodcock Lane when it could easily carry on to Bangham Pit & Bartley Green.
Does a loop at the minute I think. So would that use Moors Lane or Woodcock Lane if you extended it? Or use one, one way and one the other?

What new links would that create though?
Surely Bartley Green is already well served by the X22, 002 and 23.

Quote from: ellspurs on February 26, 2020, 10:29:11 PM
As a slight route modification, I would suggest that there could be a variation of the 94, by diverting a couple of buses an hour via Drews Lane and Bromford Lane to the Fox and Goose. Could also have it doing a loop of Smith's Wood, via Windward Way and Auckland Drive, terminating at the bus layby at Lanchester Way, numbered 25 of course as is the trend, numbered 95.
Don't think that would go down well with passengers on the Washwood Heath Road, as it would miss out some of the busiest stops on the 94 route - including the main stop at Fox and Goose (City Centre bound stop). And would result in overcrowded 55's, leaving that service unable to cope, particularly if it was still being operated by the Omnilinks.
Could scrap the X70 and have a 70 service do this though. Since the X12 already seres Bromford.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Sh4318

The Sunday (daytime) service used to terminate on Hasluck's Green Road.

Did the 12 at some point terminate at The Baldwin?
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

ellspurs

Quote from: 2206 on February 26, 2020, 10:31:10 PM
Don't think that would go down well with passengers on the Washwood Heath Road, as it would miss out some of the busiest stops on the 94 route - including the main stop at Fox and Goose (City Centre bound stop). And possibly result in overcrowded 55's, leaving that service unable to cope.
Could scrap the X70 and have a 70 service do this though. Since the X12 already serves Bromford.

It would be an idea for the 70 to do this (well the non-Smith's Wood part at least). You've mentioned that there wasn't (and I don't think has ever in some time) been a link from Bromford Lane to Birmingham, which is what I was thinking of without introducing additional buses.

the trainbasher

Regards the 224, I'd extend it to the Foxyards, then have it replace the 14 between Foxyards and Dudley.

That way the 14 could get linked in with one of the 126s or the 14A/24 and the 224 would reinstate the link that was withdrawn by Midland/Centro.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

MasterPlan

Quote from: 2206 on February 26, 2020, 10:31:10 PM
Does a loop at the minute I think. So would that use Moors Lane or Woodcock Lane if you extended it? Or use one, one way and one the other?

What new links would that create though?
Surely Bartley Green is already well served by the X22, 002 and 23.

Yes it does a one-way loop (which seem to be fashionable these days) around a small part of Bangham Pit.
Well it would re-link Selly Oak and Bartley Green again and more people in Weoley Castle would use it than the 002.
Plus it would help with the QE to Bartley Green link as the X22 can also be quite unreliable (perhaps some peak journies could go there in which case).
But even if it didn't go to Bartley Green there's no reason why it can't serve Bangham Pit in both directions surely.

sonic84

Quote from: MasterPlan on February 27, 2020, 07:16:06 AM
Yes it does a one-way loop (which seem to be fashionable these days) around a small part of Bangham Pit.
Well it would re-link Selly Oak and Bartley Green again and more people in Weoley Castle would use it than the 002.
Plus it would help with the QE to Bartley Green link as the X22 can also be quite unreliable (perhaps some peak journies could go there in which case).
But even if it didn't go to Bartley Green there's no reason why it can't serve Bangham Pit in both directions surely.

I was surprised that the Bartley Green to Weoley Castle link wasn't retained by NXWM as this was a long-standing connection going back to the days of the 21, 448 and later X64.

Jack

Quote from: MasterPlan on February 27, 2020, 07:16:06 AM
I'm losing track how many times the Uni services have been changed/modified ever since they were introduced!

Busboy105

Quote from: Jack on February 28, 2020, 09:11:27 AM
I'm losing track how many times the Uni services have been changed/modified ever since they were introduced!
Well there was the 98/99 introduced around 2011/2012
When the 99 was withdrawn I believe the X64 was changed to serve the QE.
And now the most recent changes with the 98 and the X64 being withdrawn and the X20/21/22 being introduced.

MasterPlan

Quote from: Jack on February 28, 2020, 09:11:27 AM

Well there'd be no need to if it was done properly to begin with. There was no need to remove the link to Bartley Green in my opinion.

As for @2206 comments about there already being 002, 23 and X22, that's not really relevant. You don't say what's the point of the 12 for example as you already have X amount of buses going from Birmingham to Dudley do you? It's not as simple as that.

Trident 4194

Quote from: MasterPlan on February 28, 2020, 10:47:11 AM
Well there'd be no need to if it was done properly to begin with. There was no need to remove the link to Bartley Green in my opinion.

As for @2206 comments about there already being 002, 23 and X22, that's not really relevant. You don't say what's the point of the 12 for example as you already have X amount of buses going from Birmingham to Dudley do you? It's not as simple as that.

The X22 seems to be the most unreliable of the uni services in my opinion. Last night was running 15 minutes late coming back at 6pm from uni

Quote from: Busboy105 on February 28, 2020, 10:31:56 AM
Well there was the 98/99 introduced around 2011/2012
When the 99 was withdrawn I believe the X64 was changed to serve the QE.
And now the most recent changes with the 98 and the X64 being withdrawn and the X20/21/22 being introduced.
X64 was changed to serve the Uni.
It already served the QE I think, but ran along the Bristol Road.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk