News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Quote from: Tony on January 18, 2020, 09:25:11 AM
So It's a case of your not fit enough to walk 1/4 mile so you cannot have a bus service!

As for your claims of the 69 In the whole of last week only 5 journies left late.
Lots of small sections have lost services, if you wanted to keep that section with a service then let the 70 carry on down the latter section of Stephenson Avenue, but no then you're leaving the same sized section of Bloxwich Lane without a bus. The 70A on that section only serves the one direction yet there's bus stops on the opposite side that aren't in use, so there was something else along there at one stage.

Wumpty

Quote from: Jack on January 17, 2020, 09:56:28 PM
Had some thoughts lately on the Beechdale routes after using them quite a bit last year:

Withdraw the 70A, complete waste of time. It really is the 70 route apart from the latter section of Stephenson Avenue. Up the 69's frequency to every 15 mins during that day, this route has problems and is ALWAYS late, and give it more double deckers, the Urban 2's are rammed. And put the 70 to every 20 mins to compensate for the 70A. Out of interest has the 70 always been every half an hour, even back to 370 days?

Hi Jack, IIRC, the 370 was firstly an evenings and Sunday working every 30 mins clockwise opposite the anti-clockwise 371. Daytimes were covered by a myriad of Beechdale/Bloxwich variant services until the early/mid 90s when all track routes worked as circulars, including 370/1 all day, 7 days a week. As someone who's lived in North Walsall and now at the other end of the 69, Beechdale has probably had more service trials and experimentation than most areas. Looking back to my days at Choice Travel, we operated the evening and Sunday 342 that took in Beechdale, and it was also served by Chase 364 so it had more buses than it needed. Now there's NXWM, i think they've got the coverage right - granted, you'll never cover all areas of every estate but it's certainly got a better coverage than some areas.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Busboy105

I would bring back the X7. It was a good route but just wasn't promoted enough in my opinion. However I would let it run through Cape Hill instead of going around it.

Stu

Quote from: Busboy105 on February 11, 2020, 05:23:55 PM
I would bring back the X7. It was a good route but just wasn't promoted enough in my opinion. However I would let it run through Cape Hill instead of going around it.

That would defeat the purpose of what the X7 was intended to do.

You may as well just suggest extending the 87 to Wolverhampton.  ;)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Sh4318

Quote from: Busboy105 on February 11, 2020, 05:23:55 PM

Whilst I agree, it wasn't promoted as much as it should have been. Bringing it back and re-routing it via Cape Hill isn't the answer
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Busboy105

Quote from: Stu on February 11, 2020, 07:16:23 PM
That would defeat the purpose of what the X7 was intended to do.

You may as well just suggest extending the 87 to Wolverhampton.  ;)
Wouldn't the reliability become worse if that was to happen? Plus if the X7 was to come back is there even a point extending it to Wolves anymore? Considering that the 8 and the X8 combine between Wolves and Dudley?

Crosville

The X7 would still be around if passengers used the service wouldn't it?

I'm not having a go at one member, but there's so many keyboard warriors at the moment who think they know better than the bus companies, how about running a bus company yourself then i'm sure it'd make millions with your demands.

LazyGuy222

Quote from: Crosville on February 12, 2020, 07:05:48 PM
The X7 would still be around if passengers used the service wouldn't it?

I'm not having a go at one member, but there's so many keyboard warriors at the moment who think they know better than the bus companies, how about running a bus company yourself then i'm sure it'd make millions with your demands.
It's just a what if for god sake. Calm the hell down.

Pat

I've thought about extending the 224 from Sedgley to Merry Hill.  At the moment, it just seems a bit of a pointless route as it doesn't really go anywhere that isn't already served e.g Woodcross is also served by the 223 to Bilston.  If it was extended, it would mean that there would also be a direct link between Bilston & Merry Hill.

Busboy105

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on February 26, 2020, 07:27:24 PM
I've thought about extending the 224 from Sedgley to Merry Hill.  At the moment, it just seems a bit of a pointless route as it doesn't really go anywhere that isn't already served e.g Woodcross is also served by the 223 to Bilston.  If it was extended, it would mean that there would also be a direct link between Bilston & Merry Hill.
Is there a demand for it though? Bilston isn't far from Dudley where there are a plethora of services that go to Merry Hill. Also the tram will go down there in a couple of years so it wouldn't last long.

Trident 4609

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on February 26, 2020, 07:27:24 PM

The 224 has plenty of use... links various estates that wouldn't have a bus link to either Sedgley or Bilston. Both popular destinations for the OAP's on said estates, from observation.. especially on market day.

Stu

I know the current 3 (Birmingham to Yardley Wood) probably works quite nice for NX Bus operationally-wise as it is.

I wonder how much more useful it might be if it was extended to Shirley rail station. Maybe less so at peak times, but certainly during the daytimes, there might be enough drop-back in the timetable that would allow service to continue to Shirley station without needing an extra bus.

At present, the 3 terminates at Slade Lane, but if it were to continue to Shirley station, it would provide a link to the 49 service, and a direct link to train services.

Peak and evening services could of course continue to start and finish at Slade Lane.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on February 26, 2020, 07:46:44 PM
I know the current 3 (Birmingham to Yardley Wood) probably works quite nice for NX Bus operationally-wise as it is.

I wonder how much more useful it might be if it was extended to Shirley rail station. Maybe less so at peak times, but certainly during the daytimes, there might be enough drop-back in the timetable that would allow service to continue to Shirley station without needing an extra bus.

At present, the 3 terminates at Slade Lane, but if it were to continue to Shirley station, it would provide a link to the 49 service, and a direct link to train services.

Peak and evening services could of course continue to start and finish at Slade Lane.
@Stu I think it used to do that.
I remember reading a notice on one of the Omnilinks (when the 3 was being single decker operated due to a low bridge on a diversion), that the service was being cut back to no longer serve Shirley Station and the High Street, due to very low usage.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Pat

Quote from: Nathan on February 26, 2020, 07:43:16 PM
The 224 has plenty of use... links various estates that wouldn't have a bus link to either Sedgley or Bilston. Both popular destinations for the OAP's on said estates, from observation.. especially on market day.
Whenever i've seen it, there doesn't seem to be anyone on it.  Besides,  Woodcross have the 81 to Wolves and the 223 to Dudley, Sedgley & Bilston.  Lanesfield have the 52 to Wolves, or the 8/X8 from Parkfield.

Quote from: Busboy105 on February 26, 2020, 07:42:40 PM
Is there a demand for it though? Bilston isn't far from Dudley where there are a plethora of services that go to Merry Hill. Also the tram will go down there in a couple of years so it wouldn't last long.
It would save having to change buses though.  That is what puts most people off travelling by bus is having to change buses somewhere.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Stu on February 26, 2020, 07:46:44 PM

About ten years ago the 12 (which, for those who didn't know, is what the 3 used to be) was extended between the peaks to Shirley Station.  It wasn't used alot, but it would suit me too if the 3 was extended there again.

Unfortunately, for some reason unknown to me, Network West Midlands put up signs at Shirley Station some time ago saying that buses are not to wait or lay over at the obvious (and only) point where buses could lay over.  Could this be why no bus services terminate there now?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk