News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonic84

Quote from: richardjones210368 on December 09, 2019, 11:36:12 AM
Yes and given the 144 gets to Great Park at lot quicker than the 63 its even more shocking the frequency cuts to it from 26th January I use it regularly and never empty but thats First! The 98 was also always busy and usefull for changing onto the 99 at the QE now its 144 - 1 to Five Ways for the X8 where I usually find that..........
(No perhaps better to not mention that perhaps.)

What frequency cuts are these, and to which service?

richardjones210368

Quote from: sonic84 on December 09, 2019, 05:34:10 PM
What frequency cuts are these, and to which service?
144 cut to every 60 to 90 mins in TfWM area from 26/1/20 full details on First Midland Red Wyvern Buses Worcester pages of the forum or whatever Salty name First are calling Midland Red West this week.

Dom

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on December 08, 2019, 06:56:47 PM
It would mean that the 5 wouldn't be as unreliable during peak times as it could be now as it would take a more faster route that it does now. Hence why the 17A would replace the 5 on summer hill and roads like that.

And would mean the quieter estates would get an evening peak service that isn't required, whilst the estates that are busy and bring on passengers lose their peak service? Again flawed logic.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Dom on December 08, 2019, 06:34:50 PM
What the bloody hell would be the point of that? Completely uneducated suggestion. If you work in 'route planning' as you say you do, you'd be the sort of person your friend @richardjones210368 is complaining about...
Why would I complain about a logical switch and something to be reviewed at the next round of tendering the (20)5 has and still does when I use it from my partners mum.suffer from reliability issues due to the heavy traffic levels if switched the peak pattern could be adjusted with the 17A replaced with a 5 5A 5B anythings worth considering as we have seen with West Dudley Review which I still think is sound and most cost effective in such a difficult bus opetating area but nothing will happen with the 5 & 17A till the next tender review.

Stu

This used to be a nice jovial 'bit of fun' thread. May I please remind members of the opening post of this topic?

Quote from: Alex on November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM
Title says it all, really
Money or patronage is no issue here as it's just for fun, so have at it :)

Can we please keep this thread 'on-topic' and keep it to making suggestions for service modifications, and comments on those suggestions?

If you're going to make a suggestion that others will consider silly, then expect a bit of ridicule, but let's keep it civil and jovial. Arguments and bickering achieve nothing.

For any other discussions, please find a more appropriate thread to post in, or start your own.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

richardjones210368

Quote from: Stu on December 09, 2019, 06:55:14 PM
This used to be a nice jovial 'bit of fun' thread. May I please remind members of the opening post of this topic?

Can we please keep this thread 'on-topic' and keep it to making suggestions for service modifications, and comments on those suggestions?

If you're going to make a suggestion that others will consider silly, then expect a bit of ridicule, but let's keep it civil and jovial. Arguments and bickering achieve nothing.

For any other discussions, please find a more appropriate thread to post in, or start your own.
Apologies if you misunderstood my defence Stu in the comment made towards me by @Dom I was simply saying the posters comments on me were incorrect the current tenders were awarded on a business case forwarded by NXWM and accepted by TfWM when the tenders are next up to be awarded all options will be on table again it is up to the operators to either tender for the contracts on offer by TfWM or submit thier own business case on an alternative. Whatever option accepted by TfWM I would fully suppport being part of the decision making process.

Quote from: richardjones210368 on December 09, 2019, 05:36:27 PM
144 cut to every 60 to 90 mins in TfWM area from 26/1/20 full details on First Midland Red Wyvern Buses Worcester pages of the forum or whatever Salty name First are calling Midland Red West this week.
Surely the 144 terminating on the outskirts of the City Centre and not going up to the Priory Queensway with NXWM's Bristol Road and University corridors and in addition not stopping anywhere near them in the City Centre, can't help this route either.

When i'm on Moor Street, I wouldn't consider walking all the way to the 144 terminus when I can catch an NX service from outside of the station.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

richardjones210368

Quote from: 2206 on December 09, 2019, 07:11:02 PM
Surely the 144 terminating on the outskirts of the City Centre and not going up to the Priory Queensway with NXWM's Bristol Road and University corridors and in addition not stopping anywhere near them in the City Centre, can't help this route either.
I do not think that makes any difference as it historically ran from the Bull Ring Bus Station anyway and NXWM Travelcard holders will never use it, the service has always been stand alone it isn't failing I have to stand up usually on it its being cut I understand as FirstGroup PLC wish to reduce the PVR of First Midland Red Buses Ltd.

Quote from: richardjones210368 on December 09, 2019, 07:16:52 PM
I do not think that makes any difference as it historically ran from the Bull Ring Bus Station anyway and NXWM Travelcard holders will never use it.
I've seen people paying with cash/contactless board at Priory Queensway/Moor Street/St Martins Queensway. Its not just NXWM Travelcard holders who use the 61/63 and X20/X21.

I doubt anyone going to Selly Oak or Northfield would find it convenient to have to go to the outskirts of the City Centre, when the NX services stop much closer to them.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

richardjones210368

Quote from: 2206 on December 09, 2019, 07:23:43 PM
I've seen people paying with cash/contactless board at Priory Queensway/Moor Street/St Martins Queensway. Its not just NXWM Travelcard holders who use the 61/63 and X20/X21.

I doubt anyone going to Selly Oak or Northfield would find it convenient to have to go to the outskirts of the City Centre, when the NX services stop much closer to them.
Remember its also Limited Stop why would the 144 want the local Bristol Rd market would it not put off longer distance passengers remember the WMPTE Travelcard restrictions on Midland Red services as I post the service isn't failing its being cut I believe due to FirstGroup corporate policies.

One route I and many West Brom drivers wouldn't mind being altered is the 44 as in its current format it only takes 25 mins to do a trip and some duties you end up doing 9/10 trips in one go which can be a bit repetitive. (possibly the shortest route on NX books). My idea would be to extended it to Wednesbury, from Harvills Hawthorn it would go down Holloway Bank but instead of going right at the island to follow the 79 have it continue straight down and serve by the Metro stop on Great Western Street before going into Wednesbury bus Station. It would provide a link between Harvills estate and Wednesbury and also provide a link for the metro as it can be a bit of a walk from the bus station for the less able people.

Busboy105

Quote from: WB Driver on December 10, 2019, 07:13:09 PM
One route I and many West Brom drivers wouldn't mind being altered is the 44 as in its current format it only takes 25 mins to do a trip and some duties you end up doing 9/10 trips in one go which can be a bit repetitive. (possibly the shortest route on NX books). My idea would be to extended it to Wednesbury, from Harvills Hawthorn it would go down Holloway Bank but instead of going right at the island to follow the 79 have it continue straight down and serve by the Metro stop on Great Western Street before going into Wednesbury bus Station. It would provide a link between Harvills estate and Wednesbury and also provide a link for the metro as it can be a bit of a walk from the bus station for the less able people.
Will it still be a circular service or will it just be West Brom to Wednesbury.

Jack

Quote from: Busboy105 on December 10, 2019, 10:57:09 PM
Will it still be a circular service or will it just be West Brom to Wednesbury.
Presumably West Brom to Wednesbury and do the loop or Harvills in both direction.

sryan188

Quote from: WB Driver on December 10, 2019, 07:13:09 PM

Another option if the buses used fitted around the estate would be to extend the 89 from West Bromwich to Harvills Hawthorn as they both operate a 30 minute frequency and on my calculation could be done with 5 buses outside of peak in total.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk