News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheese

Quote from: sonic84 on December 07, 2019, 11:31:06 AM
The 285 was running around 2001 to 2002 as I remember using it from Merry Hill to Kidderminster around 5pm ish.

Didn't the 285 run via Hagley and Blakedown.

The Midwest rover certainly was good value. Remember doing a day our on the 192 to Hereford, 420 from Hereford to Worcester, 294 from Worcester to Kidderminster and then a 192 back home.

Just found my Jan 2002 MRW guide for Wyre Forest and the 285 was indeed still running then, went via Hagley and Blakedown. The last bus was at 5 from Merry Hill to Kidderminster from the timetable, 4-6 journeys per day depending on direction.  Think I must have done the 1150 from Dudley to Kidderminster before a Kidderminster Harriers home game.

Bus Man K2

If I had the change to chane a route I would change the 228 to make it a Kinver-Dudley via Stourbridge, Merry Hill and Russells Hall Hospital Service. Also the 250 to also included Norton as that would make sense as the 251 also does Norton.

The 17A to include the part of the 5 between Stourbridge and Kingswinford. This meaning the 5 would go to the cross and turn directly onto the High Street instead of continuing along Summer hill.

Dom

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on December 08, 2019, 11:54:33 AM
If I had the change to chane a route I would change the 228 to make it a Kinver-Dudley via Stourbridge, Merry Hill and Russells Hall Hospital Service. Also the 250 to also included Norton as that would make sense as the 251 also does Norton.

The 17A to include the part of the 5 between Stourbridge and Kingswinford. This meaning the 5 would go to the cross and turn directly onto the High Street instead of continuing along Summer hill.

And what benefit would that give? The 5 and 17A serve estates on different sides of Stream Road. Changing the 5 would then lose the service to Stourbridge in Mount Pleasant, Cot Lane, Balmoral Road and Ashwood Park, well used areas in the context of the service. What would the 17A become? Just a loop around Wall Heath that offers no connections to the passengers who live in Maidendale Road, Brinley Way, Frayne Avenue? They have no other service than the 17A.

karl724223

Quote from: Dom on December 08, 2019, 03:26:12 PM
And what benefit would that give? The 5 and 17A serve estates on different sides of Stream Road. Changing the 5 would then lose the service to Stourbridge in Mount Pleasant, Cot Lane, Balmoral Road and Ashwood Park, well used areas in the context of the service. What would the 17A become? Just a loop around Wall Heath that offers no connections to the passengers who live in Maidendale Road, Brinley Way, Frayne Avenue? They have no other service than the 17A.
don't upset him @Dom

Bus Man K2

Quote from: karl724223 on December 08, 2019, 04:26:43 PM
don't upset him @Dom

The 17A would directly replace the 5 with the 17A also doing what it dorles curently.

Dom

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on December 08, 2019, 06:26:55 PM
The 17A would directly replace the 5 with the 17A also doing what it dorles curently.

What the bloody hell would be the point of that? Completely uneducated suggestion. If you work in 'route planning' as you say you do, you'd be the sort of person your friend @richardjones210368 is complaining about...

richardjones210368

Quote from: Dom on December 08, 2019, 06:34:50 PM
What the bloody hell would be the point of that? Completely uneducated suggestion. If you work in 'route planning' as you say you do, you'd be the sort of person your friend @richardjones210368 is complaining about...
Nothing will change during the current tender a very good business case was put forward by NXWM & accepted.

Bus Man K2

It would mean that the 5 wouldn't be as unreliable during peak times as it could be now as it would take a more faster route that it does now. Hence why the 17A would replace the 5 on summer hill and roads like that.

Stu

As this thread is rapidly getting out of control again, may I please remind ALL members of the FORUM RULES and to refrain from making personal attacks, and to keep the thread on-topic.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Bus Man K2

I didn't say I work in route planning. I just put things right that are wrong on the area maps.

MW

I see Laurel and Hardy have taken over this thread as well 🤔

Busboy105

I just realised that since the old 98 was withdrawn and replaced, there's no link from Rubery Great Park to Birmingham. Is this because there is low demand? I've always thought that there would at least some people who would go there instead of going to town.

Tony

Quote from: Busboy105 on December 09, 2019, 08:41:46 AM
I just realised that since the old 98 was withdrawn and replaced, there's no link from Rubery Great Park to Birmingham. Is this because there is low demand? I've always thought that there would at least some people who would go there instead of going to town.

If you want to go there 'instead of town' you don't need a bus from town!

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Tony on December 09, 2019, 08:44:30 AM
If you want to go there 'instead of town' you don't need a bus from town!

There is a bus from town to Great Park all be it the 144 or the 63. Although they don't actually serve the Great Park they instead serve the stops on the main road.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on December 09, 2019, 09:04:57 AM
There is a bus from town to Great Park all be it the 144 or the 63. Although they don't actually serve the Great Park they instead serve the stops on the main road.
Yes and given the 144 gets to Great Park at lot quicker than the 63 its even more shocking the frequency cuts to it from 26th January I use it regularly and never empty but thats First! The 98 was also always busy and usefull for changing onto the 99 at the QE now its 144 - 1 to Five Ways for the X8 where I usually find that..........
(No perhaps better to not mention that perhaps.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk