News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Busboy105 on November 12, 2019, 10:12:01 AM
That's probably why the Bentley Bridge links works so well. Because you can link them to NCH and Wednesfield whereas with the Fort, the only high profile areas that you can link with it are Sutton Coldfield and Chelmsley Wood which is already covered by the 71 and 96 respectively.
The 71 doesn't go anywhere near the Fort.
So doesn't link it with Sutton.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Busboy105

Quote from: 2206 on November 12, 2019, 10:51:27 AM
The 71 doesn't go anywhere near the Fort.
So doesn't link it with Sutton.
I meant that it stops close by.

Quote from: Busboy105 on November 12, 2019, 12:36:00 PM
I meant that it stops close by.
It doesn't.
It goes nowhere near the Fort.

It comes down Chester Road/Newport Road from Clock Garage as the 28 does and then turns right at Spitfire Island and goes through Castle Vale.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Busboy105

Quote from: 2206 on November 12, 2019, 04:28:34 PM
It doesn't.
It goes nowhere near the Fort.

It comes down Chester Road/Newport Road from Clock Garage as the 28 does and then turns right at Spitfire Island and goes through Castle Vale.

I know that. I meant it stops a couple of minutes away from the Fort.

Tony

Quote from: Busboy105 on November 12, 2019, 05:01:52 PM
I know that. I meant it stops a couple of minutes away from the Fort.

A couple of minutes? Have you ever walked it?

Crosville

Looking on google earth it's about a mile & a quarter from the nearest 71 stop to the Fort, that'll take at least 20 minute hike from the 71 stop, you already have 38 & 96 going through, they'd be more buses on going through the Fort if there's regular a cash flow.

sonic84

Quote from: Sh4318 on November 12, 2019, 08:26:19 AM
The 450 was decimated by having to serve Windmill Lane to replace the 438/439, making journeys between Bearwood and West Bromwich longer than required. Whilst other options are available, the 48 is not the quickest, and the 48A and 49 do "go around the wrekin", particularly the 49

Would something as simple as running a couple of journeys an hour as 87B Dudley to Bearwood be an option?

Sayeed

Quote from: sonic84 on November 12, 2019, 07:37:12 PM
Would something as simple as running a couple of journeys an hour as 87B Dudley to Bearwood be an option?

It would be when the new hospital opens. Also, that sharp turn at Cape Hill would be a problem and you wouldn't want to avoid that section to help out 82 with passenger loading.
Век живи - век учись

Busboy105

Just seen a post on this forum complaining about the 11 Outer Circle. The 11 as it is struggles with reliability because it runs down the A4040 as it passes by major roads. What needs to happen is that the 11 needs to be split into several routes which will hopefully improve the reliabilty.
Route 1 will be Acocks Green to Perry Barr via Yardley, Ward End, Erdington and Witton.
Route 2 will be Perry Barr to Selly Oak via Handsworth, Winson Green, City Hospital, Bearwood and Harborne. This route can be extended to Weoley Castle, Shenley Fields and Northfield.
And route 3 will cover the rest of the existing 11 route from Selly Oak to Acocks Green via Cotteridge, Kings Heath, Billesley and Hall Green.
The numbers of the routes I haven't picked yet so you can come up with some.
This might not happen because the 11 is such a popular route NX wouldn't want to chop it up. Plus people would probably be angry that the "longest route in Europe" is dead or whatever but something needs to be done ASAP.

Crosville

Most logical way of splitting the 11 would be operate it Bearwood-Acocks Green, rather than anything else

Quote from: Busboy105 on November 20, 2019, 04:10:33 PM
Route 2 will be Perry Barr to Selly Oak via Handsworth, Winson Green, City Hospital, Bearwood and Harborne. This route can be extended to Weoley Castle, Shenley Fields and Northfield.
Is it necessary for it to go to Weoley Castle? The X21 already covers the University - Selly Oak - Weoley Castle link. Surely you can change at Selly Oak for the X21.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MasterPlan

Quote from: 2206 on November 20, 2019, 04:57:21 PM
Is it necessary for it to go to Weoley Castle? The X21 already covers the University - Selly Oak - Weoley Castle link. Surely you can change at Selly Oak for the X21.

No it isn't.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Busboy105

Quote from: Crosville on November 20, 2019, 04:29:21 PM
Most logical way of splitting the 11 would be operate it Bearwood-Acocks Green, rather than anything else
Bearwood to Acocks Green via Harborne, Selly Oak and Kings Heath or via Handsworth, Perry Barr and Erdington?

Tony

Quote from: Busboy105 on November 20, 2019, 05:23:46 PM
Bearwood to Acocks Green via Harborne, Selly Oak and Kings Heath or via Handsworth, Perry Barr and Erdington?

What happens to all the hundreds of passengers who travel through those two places?

MW

I think the solution is for better infrastructure along the route through bus priority measures. The 11 is a very busy route. The current fleet value on that route must be around £5million so imagine the revenue and passenger numbers!

This is a route that tends to get forgotten about in favour of all the routes going into
City Centre. It's been operated with sheds for a number of years until now, when it probably carries more passengers than plenty of other City serving routes. I'm not sure what the situation is at Bromford, but that was always a hotspot for traffic along the route.

Somebody mentioned Soho Road earlier on. Soho Road at the junction with Rookery Road was problematic due to the short cycle on the lights. You could just about get there buses through a green light before it turned red, and that's without cars in the traffic! Whether it's changed or not, I don't know. Dudley Road was a nightmare as you depart City Hospital and attempt to turn right, bringing Dudley Road to a standstill because nobody would let you out! Only the 82/87s would let you out there... Selly Oak with its constant roadworks at the Sainsbury's. There's still works going on there today!

There's just far too much unpredictable traffic along the 11, because it depends on the major roads leading into City Centre. Some days it can operate perfectly, others it can fall apart completely!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk