News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

West Dudley Consultation

Started by Dom, July 22, 2019, 12:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Nathan on December 05, 2019, 10:50:44 PM

Wrens Nest will not lose their link to Merry Hill. Although longer, the new 15 will be routed through Wrens Nest Estate, as will the 81 if the original proposals go through.

What I meant to say is It'll loose its fast link with Merry Hill as the 8 only takes around 15 mins where as the 15 will take much longer. Also for people who work in Wrens Nest and currently only have to travel on 1 bus will now have to change onto a 2 bus which really will need to be timetabled to join up with the 8. It's all about money making schemes, which NX are always very good at making!! That's way I'm saying they do listen to actual customers who travel the route every day.

the trainbasher

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on December 06, 2019, 08:06:59 AM
What I meant to say is It'll loose its fast link with Merry Hill as the 8 only takes around 15 mins where as the 15 will take much longer. Also for people who work in Wrens Nest and currently only have to travel on 1 bus will now have to change onto a 2 bus which really will need to be timetabled to join up with the 8. It's all about money making schemes, which NX are always very good at making!! That's way I'm saying they do listen to actual customers who travel the route every day.

It probably wouldn't have happened if buses were regulated (either franchise a la London or pre '86).

That's the problem with deregulation and capitalism. Bus companies think more about profit for shareholders than they do for passengers.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

sonic84

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on December 06, 2019, 08:06:59 AM

I do often wonder when we hear of network reviews increasing passenger numbers, how much of this is actually existing passengers having to use 2 buses instead of 1.

Tony

Quote from: sonic84 on December 06, 2019, 11:26:13 AM
I do often wonder when we hear of network reviews increasing passenger numbers, how much of this is actually existing passengers having to use 2 buses instead of 1.

That doesn't increase revenue so not significant at all, for as many people made to change new links are made that reduce changes as well

Tony

Quote from: the trainbasher on December 06, 2019, 11:22:50 AM
It probably wouldn't have happened if buses were regulated (either franchise a la London or pre '86).

That's the problem with deregulation and capitalism. Bus companies think more about profit for shareholders than they do for passengers.

Let's see how many services are lost when Andy Burnham runs out of money in Manchester. Remember in London the companies are still making profits then you have the TfL costs on top, so it is actually more expensive

Bus Man K2

You are so right @sonic84. It would be great if all passengers could/would know the passenger numbers of the buses that NX propose to change before we make assumptions on with is good for a route and what isn't. Then if they still want to change it what the passenger numbers are like afterwards. But normal people in the street that comment on changes don't care what the aftereffects are for passengers who use the service everyday. Also not only that but its to do with the route Planners at NX.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Tony on December 06, 2019, 01:37:31 PM
That doesn't increase revenue so not significant at all, for as many people made to change new links are made that reduce changes as well

It must increase revenue in some way or anther otherwise they wouldn't consider changes! That said I understand they have to make new links but at what cost to passengers who use the service everyday.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on December 06, 2019, 01:40:07 PM
You are so right @sonic84. It would be great if all passengers could/would know the passenger numbers of the buses that NX propose to change before we make assumptions on with is good for a route and what isn't. Then if they still want to change it what the passenger numbers are like afterwards. But normal people in the street that comment on changes don't care what the aftereffects are for passengers who use the service everyday. Also not only that but its to do with the route Planners at NX.
It simple economics if a route is not meeting the required return on its profit margin it will be cut or revised,  it puzzles me who are all the outraged residents around Kingswinford and why arent enough of them using the current network to sustain it. I heard no credible argument made at the last Bus Champions Meeting to sustain the exisiting network following Stourbridge College closure & Hospital Service Reorganisation. My own 13A was traditionally single decker operated every 20 minuets now its double decked every 30 mins outside the peaks as it the 12(0) its just simple economics.

Tony

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on December 06, 2019, 01:43:07 PM
It must increase revenue in some way or anther otherwise they wouldn't consider changes! That said I understand they have to make new links but at what cost to passengers who use the service everyday.

People changing buses doesn't generally as a day saver is cheaper than two singles and pass holders pay the same

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Tony on December 06, 2019, 01:48:31 PM
People changing buses doesn't generally as a day saver is cheaper than two singles and pass holders pay the same

Your right about paying but I will now have to pay twice when travelling to work everyday in staid of once. I have a disable pass which entitles me to travel before 9:30 for £1. OK I grant you that I now will have to pay £2 but its got to come from somewhere. I know it's not megfa bucks but it's still a pain if you change buses. It's a pain because you have to leave home earlier and pay twice instead of leaving at the same time as you do now and paying once.

Tony

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on December 06, 2019, 01:55:47 PM
Your right about paying but I will now have to pay twice when travelling to work everyday in staid of once. I have a disable pass which entitles me to travel before 9:30 for £1. OK I grant you that I now will have to pay £2 but its got to come from somewhere. I know it's not megfa bucks but it's still a pain if you change buses. It's a pain because you have to leave home earlier and pay twice instead of leaving at the same time as you do now and paying once.

Well if you travel to work every day buy a pre 0930 pass

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Tony on December 06, 2019, 02:27:53 PM
Well if you travel to work every day buy a pre 0930 pass

Why would I pay more for a pass if I have a Concessionary pass which entitles me to buy the £1 fare.

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on December 06, 2019, 03:33:47 PM
Why would I pay more for a pass if I have a Concessionary pass which entitles me to buy the £1 fare.
pre. 09:30 pass is for concessionary pass users that travel on multiple buses regularly before 09:30.
Say you have to catch 2 buses a day for 20 days in a month pre 09:30, with the £1 fare that costs £40.
But with pre 09:30 monthly direct debit it costs £30.50.
They do also sometimes make improvements to routes as well.
For instance the introduction of the X20/X21/X22 between City Centre and the QE/Uni with increased capacity and frequency. As well as better links to Bartley Green/Woodgate on the X22 from the QE.
Also the 80 was doubled in frequency a few years back up to every 10 minutes.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Sh4318

Quote from: 2206 on December 06, 2019, 03:39:17 PM
pre. 09:30 pass is for concessionary pass users that travel on multiple buses regularly before 09:30.
Say you have to catch 2 buses a day for 20 days in a month pre 09:30, with the £1 fare that costs £40.
But with pre 09:30 monthly direct debit it costs £30.50. They do also sometimes make improvements to routes as well.
For instance the introduction of the X20/X21/X22 between City Centre and the QE/Uni with increased capacity and frequency. As well as better links to Bartley Green/Woodgate on the X22 from the QE.
Also the 80 was doubled in frequency a few years back up to every 10 minutes.

To be honest, that was probably the best thing to come out of the network review
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Changes are now registered on VOSA.
They are happening on the 26th January.
Will WN need more Platinums for the 8 to Wollaston Farm? Maybe some of the YW Platinums when they come off the 6?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk