News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Arriva X31

Started by Tomjusttom, April 05, 2012, 10:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy

Quote from: bob on June 08, 2012, 07:44:33 PM
Chase & Green bus werent the predominant operators btwn cannock bloxwich & walsall tho in 1991, nor btwn bloxwich & brum, it would have been WMT they were competing with :-)

I worked for MRN right through the 90's and they got embroiled in so many squabbles I get the years mixed up! You're right at that stage Chase weren't doing much on that corridor, it was later, although the idea behind the 31 was as I said....the competition with Chase and Green Bus at the time was mainly along the Burntwood and Lichfield corridors...that got quite nasty at one stage!

Bob

The days when there was actually competition, now were left with shit private monopolies!! Another thing  to thank Maggie for!! is she dead yet? MRN was far better under public ownership as was WMPTE

Tony

Quote from: bob on June 09, 2012, 01:01:05 PM
The days when there was actually competition, now were left with shit private monopolies!! Another thing  to thank Maggie for!! is she dead yet? MRN was far better under public ownership as was WMPTE

More rose tinted glasses. Check some of the service cuts/reductions WMPTE did in the 1970s, not because of loadings, just for operational reasons. Didn't bother serving estates, people can walk to the main road to catch a bus. Overloaded with office staff all at rate payers expense (I was one of 80 wages clerks for WMPTE so know of that first hand). Decision made on the political masters' mind of the day which changed with every election (no you cannot buy more Ailsas even though they are the best bus currently on the market).

All that and WMPTE was the best run of all the PTEs!

As for Midland Red North under the NBC it was a complete basket case losing loads of money.

andy

MRN suffered for having some really profitable territory but also some extremely difficult areas, hence the huge cuts they made shortly after a catastrophic management buyout in 1987.

When I joined the company I was told that at most points in its history only 2 depots even broke even or made anything, being Tamworth and Welington, and they heavily subsidised the rest of the operation.

Bob

They invested just as much in new vehicles, the trackline scheme invested heavily in new bus stations. publicly owned does not mean bad, look at Lothian buses! Nottingham city transport etc

Discodave

Quote from: andy on June 09, 2012, 05:33:28 PM
MRN suffered for having some really profitable territory but also some extremely difficult areas, hence the huge cuts they made shortly after a catastrophic management buyout in 1987.

When I joined the company I was told that at most points in its history only 2 depots even broke even or made anything, being Tamworth and Welington, and they heavily subsidised the rest of the operation.
Was the same at arriva (when cannock was head office) Tamworth and Wellington made money others did not thats why they have all the good buses now its only regulations or quality partnerships which had changed cannocks fleet and many others otherwise they would still have had tarted up scrap

Bob

Cannock garage doesnt make any money? Really? thats surprised me, surely routes like the 70 or the 1 or 25/26 make money?

Discodave

The 70 used to be good when run on its own now its interworked with 76/560 any probs on these routes affects all 3 usually 560 as its always missed plus would be better if 70/76 went to station and get rid of 560 as 89 nxwm is 5 mis infront so does all the trade.  People were hacked off when 70 the 76 shifted out of station as many changed to train or nx buses so both lost trade.  1 was good until fare went to £2.20 single to walsall and cannock saver pass was stopped at border as soon they had the monoply of cannock-walsall routes 25/26 good routes shame about the buses low floor but old clapped out need newer ones not the vdls but a good medium sized bus.  33 was good too until the constant 32/33 changes and Walsall extention it was better when it just went to brownhills and hednesford must have been good as was increased to 15 min freq from 20 min very rare you were late.  listen arriva leave a good route alone if it aint broke dont fix it

Bob

yea they should get rid of the 560 for def! And pull out of Walsall, the cannock routes were loads better in WMT days and seemed busier. The Daf Sb200 branded for the 1 are such SHIT buses!! dead noisy, and the interiors are faded to death! awful

andy

Quote from: bob on June 13, 2012, 06:05:18 PM
yea they should get rid of the 560 for def! And pull out of Walsall, the cannock routes were loads better in WMT days and seemed busier. The Daf Sb200 branded for the 1 are such SHIT buses!! dead noisy, and the interiors are faded to death! awful

Why on earth would Arriva go to all the trouble and expense of acquiring Chase and getting the upper hand on this corridor only to then pull out of Walsall?? Especially in light of the opening a West Midlands depot! If anything I would think they will be looking to do more in the area if the opportunity arises.

The £2.20 single fare is actually pretty decent, it's only 30p more than the WM max which is hardly a massive hike? It's much less than they charge from Sutton to Tamworth or Lichfield which are equivalent cross border journeys. Yes it was a little cynical to do make these changes having shaken off competition but unfortunately all operators are guilty of this, NXWM reduces fares on the 37 when Connect began operation and let's see how long those last when Rotala inevitably move off it.

Bob

Andy, MRN werent ever subject to a 'disastrous management buyout' in 1987, they were sold from NBC to Drawlane directly in jan 1988.

andy

There was a period where a management team assembled a bid and were in sole charge of the company prior to Drawlane's acquisition in '88. That was how the shortlived white livery with red and yellow stripe came about, Drawlane got hold of the company following the massive withdrawals and cuts that happened as a result of this stewardship in 1987.

Bob

hey i didnt no that sorry. Wonder if any one has a list of what routes were axed in the 1987 cuts?? particularly cannock area

andy

I have one, I will post it shortly.

Actually, my book seems to have gone missing so I will try to dig it out!

Bob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk