News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Arriva X31

Started by Tomjusttom, April 05, 2012, 10:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

There's a train, 39 past the hour every hour at new street, same frequency as the X31, and faster

Quote from: bob on June 03, 2012, 10:05:39 PM
what then we wont have a regular service into brum at all??

Bob

Theres a train regularly and fast from Walsall to Birmingham but they still have the 51 & X51 !!

Tony

Quote from: bob on June 04, 2012, 12:07:21 AM
Theres a train regularly and fast from Walsall to Birmingham but they still have the 51 & X51 !!

But because it is only half the distance the fares comparison is much closer and the bus can do more trips so can make a profit while competing on fares.

I think the X51 journies through to Cannock are one of only two NXWM routes left where the £1.90 maximum fare doesn't apply

Stu

Quote from: Tony on June 04, 2012, 09:02:02 AM
I think the X51 journies through to Cannock are one of only two NXWM routes left where the £1.90 maximum fare doesn't apply

Just out of curiosity, and not wanting to hijack the thread, but what would the other route be then?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Bob

The Burntwood services id imagine

arrifirststage

Re the ongoing discussion about the Cannock-Birmingham link,it remains true that this route (in many different forms ) has never been a success,unless you count Harper Brothers route,and even that withered under Midland Red.
The idea of extending the X51 to Cannock would be antagonistic to Arriva,and while the rearrangement of routes after the Chase Bus takeover was ,of course,a sheer coincidence,such an extension could cause another coincidence.
If the train is successful,then good luck to it.

Tony

Quote from: Stu on June 04, 2012, 10:03:36 AM
Quote from: Tony on June 04, 2012, 09:02:02 AM

Just out of curiosity, and not wanting to hijack the thread, but what would the other route be then?

The 12 to Leamington

Quote from: arrifirststage on June 04, 2012, 10:23:53 AM
Re the ongoing discussion about the Cannock-Birmingham link,it remains true that this route (in many different forms ) has never been a success,unless you count Harper Brothers route,and even that withered under Midland Red.
The idea of extending the X51 to Cannock would be antagonistic to Arriva,and while the rearrangement of routes after the Chase Bus takeover was ,of course,a sheer coincidence,such an extension could cause another coincidence.
If the train is successful,then good luck to it.

I would imagine so, as the (chase) line has been open over 20 years

Bob

Never been a success?? The original X31 was hugely successful for years, and the 951/ 2 Nxwm service was a successful route for at least 10 yrs after the train line opened. A frequent ( rather than hourly) route between Cannock & Brum would be a success i reckon travelling via Bloxwich Walsall & A 34 rather than ridiculously going along the motorway! You would get the cannock to walsall custom plus possibly passengers wanting to go direct from Bloxwich into the City Centre

Quote from: bob on June 04, 2012, 05:16:26 PM
Never been a success?? The original X31 was hugely successful for years, and the 951/ 2 Nxwm service was a successful route for at least 10 yrs after the train line opened. A frequent ( rather than hourly) route between Cannock & Brum would be a success i reckon travelling via Bloxwich Walsall & A 34 rather than ridiculously going along the motorway! You would get the cannock to walsall custom plus possibly passengers wanting to go direct from Bloxwich into the City Centre

That's exactly what the train does, at the same frequency but faster

Bob

The train timetable was cut a couple of yrs back i think....

Tony

Quote from: bob on June 05, 2012, 11:59:49 AM
The train timetable was cut a couple of yrs back i think....

For a year they tried to run a 30 minute frequency all day, this is now back to 30min in peak and 60 min off-peak. Still have the same number of units, but they spend 40min at either Walsall or Rugeley off peak every trip, so it does make the timetable very reliable normally

Bob

i just think that the bus is more practical as it can get much closer to whhere you live etc maybe the X31 wont die off you never know

Tony

Quote from: bob on June 05, 2012, 12:48:11 PM
i just think that the bus is more practical as it can get much closer to whhere you live etc maybe the X31 wont die off you never know

Only if you live close to the route!

I live in Cannock, but both Hednesford and Cannock railway stations are closer to me than the X31 is

arrifirststage

Quote from: bob on June 04, 2012, 05:16:26 PM

[Your comments,whilst true,only confirm my statement that a Cannock - Birmingham route has never been a success,if it had been,the routes you quote (951,952 original X31 ) would still be running.
Sometimes, operators have to admit defeat and accept the train is better in certain cases.
If you need another example, I would cite Birmingham-Kidderminster........Years ago,this route (132/133/K32/K33 ) had FIFTEEN double deckers scheduled to operate it from Bearwood,Oldbury and Kidderminster garages.
Now what?....the route does not even exist,killed off by a reliable ,frequent train service.
This is what is happening to the Cannock-Birmingham route.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk