News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

The Green Bus

Started by MW, May 29, 2012, 09:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan4775

Quote from: Trident 4609 on October 15, 2013, 07:29:27 PM
Quote from: Nathan4775 on October 15, 2013, 07:27:05 PM
I came across a few days ago Spectra 202 parked under the Tunnel by the Markets, any reason why it was there ? no driver present

If it was on Sunday then it was probably on Rail Replacement Nathan

It was a Weekday ?
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

winston

Quote from: nitromatt1 on October 15, 2013, 07:30:38 PM
Quote from: DiamondDart on October 15, 2013, 07:08:09 PM
Diamond could always do the contracts-they seemed more than able to do school contracts back in 2006 at a fraction of the cost of greenbus

Diamond don't have any double deckers available.

They have got the 3 ex Yourbus Presidents lying idle in Long Acre, but they may well need work doing to them to make them road worthy

nitromatt1

Quote from: Nathan4775 on October 15, 2013, 07:32:27 PM
I came across a few days ago Spectra 202 parked under the Tunnel by the Markets, any reason why it was there ? no driver present

It was a Weekday ?

Drivers sometimes park in the city centre in between jobs in different parts of the Midlands, rather than going back to garage, there is no significance to it

nitromatt1

Winston, that would be only 3 deckers, where does the fourth come from?

What happens if one of them is in for service or is VOR?

Rotala is not one of the four operators the school is considering.

Nathan4775

Quote from: nitromatt1 on October 15, 2013, 07:39:33 PM
Quote from: Nathan4775 on October 15, 2013, 07:32:27 PM

It was a Weekday ?

Drivers sometimes park in the city centre in between jobs in different parts of the Midlands, rather than going back to garage, there is no significance to it

Cheers
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

winston

Quote from: nitromatt1 on October 15, 2013, 07:43:40 PM

I'm sure you could always hire a n extra couple of double deckers off Dawson Rentals or Ensign at short notice if you needed too. In the main I can't see it being worth the hassle for most operators if they need to go out & acquire extra buses. It's only a couple of hours work per day for each bus

I doesn't sound as though the school can afford to be too picky & choosy with who or what they use as they've only got two weeks to get an alternative in place

Stuharris 6360

What about Prospect Coaches, i know there not deckers, but they are reliable!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

PM

Quote from: Winston on October 15, 2013, 07:51:38 PM

I'm sure you could always hire a n extra couple of double deckers off Dawson Rentals or Ensign at short notice if you needed too. In the main I can't see it being worth the hassle for most operators if they need to go out & acquire extra buses. It's only a couple of hours work per day for each bus

I doesn't sound as though the school can afford to be too picky & choosy with who or what they use as they've only got two weeks to get an alternative in place

VIP anyone? Theyve got a couple of deckers floating about-sure the school would love them to step in :P and there are 4 yourbus presidents at long acre, not 3

winston

Quote from: DiamondDart on October 15, 2013, 08:03:55 PM
Quote from: Winston on October 15, 2013, 07:51:38 PM

VIP anyone? Theyve got a couple of deckers floating about-sure the school would love them to step in :P and there are 4 yourbus presidents at long acre, not 3

According to Tony's Flights Hallmark fleetlist there are 3, but you may know otherwise   ;)

gac_uk

It's not up to the school. Any company with a valid operators license can register a route. If the school does not invite them onto their grounds then they would simply pickup / drop off at the gate!

winston

Quote from: gac_uk on October 15, 2013, 08:41:00 PM

It's not up to the school. Any company with a valid operators license can register a route. If the school does not invite them onto their grounds then they would simply pickup / drop off at the gate!

Geoff, but in this instance wouldn't the school be funding the routes? Surely if it a viable option to operate the routes without funding, TGB wouldn't be pulling off them

nitromatt1

Quote from: gac_uk on October 15, 2013, 08:41:00 PM

No, that would not happen. Only the school has the data about where the potential customers (i.e. schoolkids) live, and would only disclose this data to an approved provider. Without this data, a company would not be able to design effective routes. What's more, the school would not advertise the existance of rogue routes and probably discourage students from using them

nitromatt1

Also buses cannot pick up/drop off "at the gates", the only way to turn around is to go through the school grounds. Buses trying to do 93-point turns in the gridlock traffic in Hagley is not a good idea. The nearest drop off point would be the high street, where there are proper bus stops

Steveminor

Nitromatt you are correct but, any operator doesn't need the data at this stage as all they have to do is copy the ex GB routes and adjust them as required.
My feeling is though that these services are unsustainable given the new centro stance re child passes etc so I can't see who would want to do them without funding. Thandi may want to step into the breach short term but if there's no profit in it for him he'll soon be off

37351ml

E458SON is parked up in Welford School playground on Hamstead Road just before the Lozells Road junction (on the right if going towards city) i initially thought it was for a school trip when i saw it yesterday,  but it was parked up in the same spot today.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk