News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

The Green Bus

Started by MW, May 29, 2012, 09:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitromatt1

The SP (St. Paul's) services have also been withdrawn

Liverpool Street

Quote from: nitromatt1 on October 14, 2013, 04:15:37 PM

:shock:

:o

That's an absolutely disgusting move from Centro. They've effectively closed down TGB. What services do they run on normal service now? Obviously the 50 but that won't keep it afloat...
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

John

Quote from: Liverpool Street on October 14, 2013, 04:40:58 PM
That's an absolutely disgusting move from Centro. They've effectively closed down TGB. What services do they run on normal service now? Obviously the 50 but that won't keep it afloat...

They just run the 50 now, with peak time extras to Redditch on the 50A. Maybe they might have to take up more service work

Liverpool Street

Quote from: John on October 14, 2013, 04:51:19 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on October 14, 2013, 04:40:58 PM

They just run the 50 now, with peak time extras to Redditch on the 50A. Maybe they might have to take up more service work

And is it true the fares are £3 single £5 return?

This isn't looking good for TGB. Shame as I genuinely like Green Bus.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

nitromatt1

The £3 single/£5 return is for the school services only, it is still £1.50 on the 50 for the time being

nitromatt1

It has not yet been confirmed, but it is likely Thandi will be taking over the Hagley services

andyr

Very sad that an operator who has tried so hard to increse the quality of school transport finds it self in this position..h

winston

The only way TGB can continue to provide the buses & drivers with continued work would be to diversify further in to commercial work, but even that comes with risks, as smaller operators are finding it increasingly more difficult to compete against NX. Even Centro tenders may not be an option as the costs of opetating double deckers may be not be able to compete with midis run by the likes of WMSNT.

It must be a tense time at TGB, they need to find alternative profitable work fast.....

Kevin

Quote from: nitromatt1 on October 14, 2013, 04:15:37 PM

Wow, ok didn't expect that, thought it was just the Hagley services running outside the centro area, but this as well now? Considering the school services are how TGB started up I worry for their future
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

andyr

I cant see as they have a future, very sad. It seems even harder when u loose a good operator and cowboys like Thandi continue to prosper..... The industry seems to be set against the reputable operator.

Kevin_Brum12

Quote from: andyr on October 14, 2013, 06:43:24 PM
Very sad that an operator who has tried so hard to increse the quality of school transport finds it self in this position..

Indeed.

There are a number of issues.   On the one hand, you have "parental choice" and schools being encouraged to work in a marketplace (indeed, on the bus home tonight I've seen an advert from a new Academy offering the first 150 kids who sign up for the school by the 31st October a free tablet.)   On the other, you've got a declining pot of money and a system designed in the mid 1980's where the majority of kids attended their nearest school - rather than being sent to one the other side of the Midlands. 

The result is a mess which is only going to get worse as the full effects of the marketisation of education kick in.  The Green Bus have offered an excellent quality of service, but that has cost and other operators (notably NXWM) do not the have interest in running school services, chiefly because they don't want buses now solely doing school contracts and then spending most of the day cooped up in a depot not earning any revenue.  The challenge for any operator running services designed for schools is to ensure their buses are earning money throughout the day, either on commercial bus routes or running special contracts for the education sector (e.g. school trips to libraries or the swimming baths).

Sadly, I can see many of the parents in this situation now giving up seeing the bus as a viable option for transporting their kids to and from school (especially following the sad story of Christina Edkins) and would rather drive their children even if that puts them out of their way.  So, more cars clogging up the roads doing the school run, more kids not learning how to use public transport and more future customers lost to the bus industry.

Well done Centro - not. ::)

fleetline6477

Very disappointing to hear that must be 6 routes withdrawn.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Green Bus step in to take over the Hagley School bus routes from Thandi because there were concerns about the quality of service, checks on drivers etc?

When I looked on the Green Bus website there was no info at all about pulling off these services.

nitromatt1

Thinking about it, I can't see how Thandi would be able to operate the Hagley services, the double feckers TGB currently use get jam-packed, Thandi don't really have any suitable vehicles. If they were to use standard coaches they would need to use at least one more vehicle, but together with the 2 services operated by MHS, you can't park 7 full length coaches in the Hagley car park!

The only thing I can think of is if it's actually the 'red' Thandi aka Evergreen who have plenty of double decker buses which would be suitable

nitromatt1

Quote from: andyr on October 14, 2013, 08:01:04 PM
No Thandi group vehicle is suitable to carry people !!. Look at there history, maintenance infrimgments, lack of insurance, un lisenced drivers, the list goes on and on. I have a daughter who is 7, i dread her going on a school trip because i know the school as to use the lowest priced tender for the trip..Working im the industry and knowing the operator reputation does mot make for a happy daddy !!

Yes I am very sad to see TGB go, they are SO much better than the various Thandi companies. I am very anxious to see what happens but it appears the decision to withdraw is final

Liberator9

Shame about Green Bus; never actually used them but they seem a good quality operator. I couldn't agree more with Kevin_Brum12. I currently use the 76 to get to school and I can see why parents would be anxious about sending their year 7 child on the bus. The buses sometimes have to leave people behind at stops and I have already had one incident of someone smoking on the top deck. My dad was saying that he wouldn't have sent me on the 76 all the way to Kings Heath when I was 11 and that he would have paid for the Green Bus. The Green Bus problem is that it is very expensive; the pass for a year is very expensive in comparison to the Nbus pass and I can see why demand is relatively low. If the price was actually lowered more people would use them, instead of NXWM etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk