News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trident4370

I agree, I think the 2 and 3 would be better off serving Moseley and avoiding Stratford Road completely. In all honesty the last review down here was a complete let down.

GeminiFan1991

I always thought the reason they had deckers on the 5/31 was that it helps alleviate single routes such as the 6/37.

I find that the 31 has good business could be busy although I tend to see the 5 being empty mostly. I suppose its existence is to provide a link between Widney Manor/ Monkspath to Birmingham/ Solihull. Having the said that I like these 2 Gemini operated routes. Never knew a bus could go through normal roads like these lot
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

trident4370

People in Widney Manor who want Birmingham can get a train every 20 minutes that takes a quarter of the time the 5 takes, and an off peak day return on the train is only 10p more than a daysaver anyway, plus the 6A would run at peaks. Anyone wanting Solihull or Shirley would still have the S5 :D

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: trident4370 on August 16, 2015, 12:29:59 AM
People in Widney Manor who want Birmingham can get a train every 20 minutes that takes a quarter of the time the 5 takes, and an off peak day return on the train is only 10p more than a daysaver anyway, plus the 6A would run at peaks. Anyone wanting Solihull or Shirley would still have the S5 :D

Those are perfectly cogent points although they're solutions for you and I, NX on the other by having the 5 go there also increases revenue from a business point of view they have a monopoly on the area. Not to mention its nice to see a NX bus that enters Solihull from the south as well.

MW

A lot of the evening and Sunday journeys on the 5 are subsidised by Centro, hence it being around still.

All the drivers like the 5 route, you can really open the Geminis up, especially when your running late from Birmingham to Sparkhill ;)

trident4370

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on August 16, 2015, 01:06:48 AM
Those are perfectly cogent points although they're solutions for you and I, NX on the other by having the 5 go there also increases revenue from a business point of view they have a monopoly on the area. Not to mention its nice to see a NX bus that enters Solihull from the south as well.
That would be true if the 5 did well, however in my opinion it doesn't. I also don't think many people now are using the 5 for journeys from Widney or Monkspath to Birmingham, the long winded route for a start is a put off not to mention the fact it is an hour each way and anyone who wanted Shirley Green Business Park or after a short walk Monkspath has a more direct hourly service in the form of the X20. Any profit peak time trips may be making on the 5 south of Shirley must surely be outweighed by the fact during the daytime and evenings it carries fresh air, if the S5 was a single decker operation you would be reducing fuel costs and running costs by cutting the frequency to match the demand, whilst still keeping the busy section of the 5 in tact. Those are just my opinions of course.

Quote from: MW on August 16, 2015, 01:27:21 AM
A lot of the evening and Sunday journeys on the 5 are subsidised by Centro, hence it being around still.

All the drivers like the 5 route, you can really open the Geminis up, especially when your running late from Birmingham to Sparkhill ;)
Don't get me wrong from an enthusiasts point of view the 5 is great, empty Geminis galore! I suppose if a lot of the trips are subsidised that makes up for the empty seats a bit, it's not like it is coming out of NX's pocket.

GeminiFan1991

I remember my first journey on the 5. I took it as it said "Solihull" instead of the train station so I assumed a quick journey..... Oh how wrong I was ! It took me over an hour and a half to get there and I nearly got late for my appointment !

Having said that, I noted a few things, for starters that where I started to like Geminis, that first turn off Stratford Road onto Springfield was fairly tight, so is the Cole Bank Road - Sarehole Road junction (Both ways). I also liked how well the bus gained speed on the Monkspath Hall Road.

trident4370

I think after the 70 and 72 the 5 is the next longest route between Solihull and Birmingham!

MW

Yeah business wise it is a pointless route. During term time it does get full from Solihull to the Sixth Form but that hardly justifies it. The 5A is also decent during term time, as the whole point of it is basically for the people working in Monkspath and the students from that Sixth Form. Daytime I agree with trident4370. City to Shirley would be fine. The rest should be an 'S' route. Having said that I've noticed a bunch of people from Monkspath do catch it to City, but really, an S route to Solihull and then the 957 would no doubt be quicker if timed right, but it's inconvienient to change over I suppose. Hence why Centro subsidises it I imagine.

At the moment in the evenings, if the 5 was shortened to Shirley, or even The Baldwin, with a 6A every hour would probably be better. Or even all day.

There's also a bunch who catch from Solihull to Widney Manor Stn.

trident4370

I must say MW I'm glad someone who actually drives the route agrees with me :D Really does defy logic how Centro throw money away like that and on vanity projects such as sprint, but that is a whole different topic altogether...

MW

Quote from: trident4370 on August 16, 2015, 02:17:16 AM
I must say MW I'm glad someone who actually drives the route agrees with me :D Really does defy logic how Centro throw money away like that and on vanity projects such as sprint, but that is a whole different topic altogether...

It's probably how a lot of other government stuff is funded. They have a set amount of money and a time limit to spend it in. Probably just chuck it anywhere so they can say they've used it and get the next load of money!

From a NX point of view, they're winning anyway so I'm sure it doesn't bother them!

trident4370

Quote from: MW on August 16, 2015, 02:32:03 AM
From a NX point of view, they're winning anyway so I'm sure it doesn't bother them!
That's probably why they are reluctant to change the 5!

Ashley 60171

Quote from: MW on August 16, 2015, 02:08:48 AM
Yeah business wise it is a pointless route. During term time it does get full from Solihull to the Sixth Form but that hardly justifies it. The 5A is also decent during term time, as the whole point of it is basically for the people working in Monkspath and the students from that Sixth Form. Daytime I agree with trident4370. City to Shirley would be fine. The rest should be an 'S' route. Having said that I've noticed a bunch of people from Monkspath do catch it to City, but really, an S route to Solihull and then the 957 would no doubt be quicker if timed right, but it's inconvienient to change over I suppose. Hence why Centro subsidises it I imagine.

At the moment in the evenings, if the 5 was shortened to Shirley, or even The Baldwin, with a 6A every hour would probably be better. Or even all day.

There's also a bunch who catch from Solihull to Widney Manor Stn.

I deliberately use it from Solihull to Shirley for the Geminis. I can see and agree with your point of view but a quiet route with good buses. Mits off, for now at least :)

Stu

I've suggested the 'S5' route previously, but personally I'd scrap the 40 route and incorporate that into the S5 also, so the full route is Hall Green-Acocks Green-Gospel Oak-Robin Hood-The Baldwin-Shirley-Monkspath-Widney Manor-Solihull, running shorts between The Baldwin and Solihull early mornings, evenings and Sundays.

Kills two birds with one stone, by combining two Centro subsidised routes into one - the 40 is hardly used as it is - also with the shortening of the 1, provides an extra daytime link from Acocks Green/Gospel Oak to Shirley.

Just a thought, I know it probably won't happen.  ;)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

domino.99

Only a thought, not 100% on this.

Curtail the 75 to do West Brom - Birmingham, thus removing 74E's and replacing them with the 75.
Raise the freq. of 79 to every 10 mins to make up for the removal of the 75 between WB and Wednesbury.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk