News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Alexander Dennis Enviro400 Discussion

Started by Stuharris 6360, May 01, 2014, 09:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liverpool Street

All valid points, @Bham Central Driver . Those dashboard buttons are shocking. The MMC has addressed this, apparently.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

John

I've had that problem with the door open button. People start to look at you, then you have to move them all back so I could get out of the cab and press the emergency door button to open the doors.

I also agree about the indicators, they start to flash well after the first beeping nose is heard

I went on a 49** on the 907 the other day, and the gearboxes have been programmed to get through the gears really quick to save diesel, make it even slower pulling away as the gear changes are too soon and you can not build up enough speed. I've heard that the 33 Enviro400s are also getting the same modifications

On the plus side, I do think that they are the best buses to drive though

Liverpool Street

Quote from: John on January 17, 1970, 12:26:45 PM
I've had that problem with the door open button. People start to look at you, then you have to move them all back so I could get out of the cab and press the emergency door button to open the doors.

I also agree about the indicators, they start to flash well after the first beeping nose is heard

I went on a 49** on the 907 the other day, and the gearboxes have been programmed to get through the gears really quick to save diesel, make it even slower pulling away as the gear changes are too soon and you can not build up enough speed. I've heard that the 33 Enviro400s are also getting the same modifications

I've noticed on new buses now the dashboard indicator light is unsynchronized with the actual rate if flash from the outside. And the beeps don't link up either. Of course the E200's don't beep at all and the B7rle flash quite annoyingly fast.

Amazing regarding the gearbox. What the drivers class as a fault, was in fact self inflicted by the company. I'm sure they'll be an accident due to the slow pull off. I remember 805 when new got rear ended because a car driver 'thought the bus would of pulled away quicker' haha
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Liberator9

They really are slow at times to get moving - I've been on some of the Southampton Enviro 400s they use on their University services and they have no such problem - fairly quick off the mark and keep good speed. The older Enviro 400s at YW are a bit quicker, although still at times are slow. Best ones are the Scanias or the old Tridents - no problems getting off to a quick start at roundabouts.

P419 EJW

Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 10, 2015, 09:04:39 PM

I've noticed on new buses now the dashboard indicator light is unsynchronized with the actual rate if flash from the outside. And the beeps don't link up either. Of course the E200's don't beep at all and the B7rle flash quite annoyingly fast.

Yeah, I don't like how slow the E200s and E400s indicates... When I was visiting Nottingham and I notice their E400s indicates at a normal pace, I was surprised about that... This got me thinking - did NXWM specify to have slow pace indicating or it was the default spec?

I personally don't think the B7RLEs' indicates fast, it's at the normal pace. I like their noise 'dink dink dink'. Will miss hearing the soft beep beep from B6s and B10Ls.

Sayeed

Quote from: P419 EJW on February 10, 2015, 09:26:03 PM

Yeah, I don't like how slow the E200s and E400s indicates... When I was visiting Nottingham and I notice their E400s indicates at a normal pace, I was surprised about that... This got me thinking - did NXWM specify to have slow pace indicating or it was the default spec?

I personally don't think the B7RLEs' indicates fast, it's at the normal pace. I like their noise 'dink dink dink'. Will miss hearing the soft beep beep from B6s and B10Ls.

Probably their E400s have different chassis, Scania N230UD? 
Век живи - век учись

P419 EJW

Quote from: Sayeed on February 10, 2015, 10:09:32 PM

Probably their E400s have different chassis, Scania N230UD?

Oh, dear. Goes to show how limited my knowledge in buses outside the West Midlands is! :-[ I didn't know E400s had different chassis, always have assumed the only chassis were Alexander Dennis Trident2 and Alexander Dennis E40D (depending how old the bus is). I had a quick search on Google and found them. You are right, they have different chassis, Scania N230UD! 625, YN14 MUP and 615, YN14 MTU.

Liverpool Street

Sorry I meant the flash from the outside seems very rapid compared to its E200 counterparts. I'm surprised they haven't used the LED excuse for the slow flashing, even though that wouldn't wash as a diode which emits light does so faster then a filament within a glass tomb.

Either way I still maintain that near all new buses have annoying flaws, and in comparison to its equivalent a generation ago, the 20 year old buses are better!

Oh, and another thing whilst were slating E200's... Their bandit alarm is the horn. Which I'm shocked and disgusted at if I'm honest as it just makes the driver look like an idiot for 'pressing the horn' and makes no one aware of the drivers true peril. NXWM should address this.
until it cought fire

B.C Driver

Another point that I forgot is the bandit alarm is in a stupid position - twice I accidently knocked it causing it to go off. And felt embaressed as car drivers are looking up at me thinking wtf!
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

domino.99

If I'm honest I like the B6 'orginal' indicator, the E400/200  is ok but just boring (if you can call an indicator noise boring). I don't like when buses dont have a sound like in mercs and excels because you can't really tell when there on or not and quite strange (or the fact that i'm strange).

Liverpool Street

Quote from: NXDom on February 11, 2015, 07:53:52 PM

If I'm honest I like the B6 'orginal' indicator, the E400/200  is ok but just boring (if you can call an indicator noise boring). I don't like when buses dont have a sound like in mercs and excels because you can't really tell when there on or not and quite strange (or the fact that i'm strange).

I thought Excels and Mercs have a very very weak 'dink dink dink' for an indicator sound? And the E200's don't have sound.
until it cought fire

domino.99

Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 11, 2015, 07:58:26 PM

I thought Excels and Mercs have a very very weak 'dink dink dink' for an indicator sound? And the E200's don't have sound.

Yeah it's just the normal indicator relay sound. 831 onwards have the same sound as the E400's.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: NXDom on February 11, 2015, 08:10:08 PM

Yeah it's just the normal indicator relay sound. 831 onwards have the same sound as the E400's.

I did not know this information. Thank you for the enlightenment.  Do you know if 831+ also has a bandit alarm of correct specification?
until it cought fire

Dylan4579

Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 11, 2015, 08:12:50 PM
Quote from: NXDom on February 11, 2015, 08:10:08 PM

I did not know this information. Thank you for the enlightenment.  Do you know if 831+ also has a bandit alarm of correct specification?
What is a bandit alarm used for?

Dylan4579

Quote from: Matt on February 11, 2015, 08:27:27 PM

• attracting attention if the bus is under threat
  • letting other vehicles know they're stopped in a stupid position or are driving like an arse
  • saying hi to other drivers
Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk