News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

NX Hybrids

Started by Nathan4775, April 18, 2012, 06:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the hybrids do you prefer?

Volvo B5LH
45 (55.6%)
Enviro400H
36 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 81

matt904102

Which of the 2 types of hybrid are proving the most successful, the series hybrid Enviro or the parallel hybrid Volvo?

PM

Id say the enviro from my point of view

winston

I'd have said that the Enviro 400H has secured by far the most orders and has the most in service. That said, following the latest Green Bus Fund 3 awards, the Volvo B5LH/Wright seems to have secured the lions share of those orders. Not sure why the switch?

PM

Neither am I Winston maybe companies just want to try out an alternative. Tho I think the new MAN gas bus looks promising and I know arriva have ordered some. How are optare doing for GBF round 3?

winston

I'm sure I've seen reports that the Hybrids are achieving better than the quoted 30% reduction in fuel consumption with some operators, obviously this will vary operating to operator depending on routes they are operated on and terrain etc.

The only consistent comment that I've seen comparing the Volvo B5LH against the Enviro 400H, is that the lower saloon capacity is much lower on the Volvo and not as well laid out due to the position on the engine compartment, other than that haven't really heard anything negative against either Hybrid model

PM

Quote from: Winston on June 10, 2012, 03:18:32 PM
I'm sure I've seen reports that the Hybrids are achieving better than the quoted 30% reduction in fuel consumption with some operators, obviously this will vary operating to operator depending on routes they are operated on and terrain etc.

The only consistent comment that I've seen comparing the Volvo B5LH against the Enviro 400H, is that the lower saloon capacity is much lower on the Volvo and not as well laid out due to the position on the engine compartment, other than that haven't really heard anything negative against either Hybrid model

Yep, thats true especially on urban services. The thing is, I agree that the Volvo lower deck is rubbish-few seats amd badly laid out-just think what it must be like in London with two sets of doors.

D10

So far with NXWM, the B5LH are showing far better fuel consumption figures than the Enviro 400H. So perhaps that is what other operators have found too, hence the switch to the B5LH in the latest orders.

winston

Quote from: D10 on June 10, 2012, 09:05:42 PM
So far with NXWM, the B5LH are showing far better fuel consumption figures than the Enviro 400H. So perhaps that is what other operators have found too, hence the switch to the B5LH in the latest orders.

Are both products like for like in terms of unladen weight? There are differences in carrying capacities i.e. Enviro 400H (H77F), Volvo B5LH (H68F) is this likely to have much impact on fuel consumption with the B5LH being able to carry fewer passengers and I'm assuming the Volvo is shorter than the Enviro?

Are the Volvo's achieving in excess of the 30% fuel saving?

PM

I imagine the fuel saving is due to the fact that with the volvos the engines often turn off when stationery

matt904102

Could be. But the engine in the Eviro doesn't actual drive the bus

Nathan4775

My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Badger

Well the oldest are the spectras I think, so the 11, 32 and 33 are likely, and as you say the 1 is a definite.
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

I think they will run them on anything that normal deckers run on eventually. I would not be surprised to see them on the 126 to say to BC 'We got some too!'  :D
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

Nathan4775

so there bound to appear on 255,1,32,33,59,126i could imagine with the Odd 1 or 2 appearing on the 79
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Stu

For an idea what other services they may 'sneak' onto, just look at WN's rotas.

Drivers would need to be type-trained on the new vehicle first, so logically only drivers on the rota with the 1 on will be type-trained first.

I would imagine WN employ a large number of drivers, so don't expect the new hybrids to appear regularly on other routes, in the same way you don't see BC's hybrids appearing on very many other services, apart from the ones they were purchased for.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk