News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Arriva take over Midland

Started by Ck, July 27, 2012, 07:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westy

I must admit even though I hardly caught Choice Travel, I was impressed with what I saw, especially when TWM went on strike in the 90's & Choice did cover them on a few routes ISTR(I remember them on the 319!)

A2Z, after showing early promise(the 50p off the bus pass for instance) gradually detrioated & I suppose, the problems they had, it was no surprise Choice got their hands on them.

Despite a rename to Midland, the good name of Choice, I feel, got dragged down by the A2Z addition.

You may remember not long after the takeover, an A2Z bus was involved in an accident  in Blakenall.

(I believe one of the managers of A2Z joined Midland at that point. Whether this was a factor in events, I dont know. People in the industry or have more knowledge than me, may know more)

That is my view as a long time bus user of over 30 years experience.

jarh_9394

Quote from: bob on January 19, 2013, 05:46:13 PM
Definately, and the cheek to be all over red with Midland on! midland red would turn in their grave lol seein that shower of s**t attemptin to emulate it!

Bob,

I rarely reply to your posts as they are usually of this nature.

Having been involved with the company through several different lines of management - many of which, I accept, have not been what you and I would consider to be "bus people" - I cannot accept your misguided opinions backed up with no real fact. I have strived to bring an element of local understanding and professionalism to a budget-restricted operation with a tired fleet and, although the final product when Arriva moved in was short of what I would want, I do feel the company has come a long way from the later days when Choice merged with A2Z.

The recent takeover by Arriva has provided the largest window of opportunity this company has ever faced and, together with representatives from that organisation and new professionals brought in to the organisation, we intend to develop the business without the restrictive budgetary and, granted, professional constraints.

Your tiresome, slanderous comments, I feel, are unjustified given that nothing has happened yet because, largely, it cannot until the OFT has made its decision. Please stop questioning the professionalism of a worldwide organisation that has acquired a local company for a valid reason and runs its existing businesses not perfectly - but to the best of its ability. Local people are involved with this project and so it is unfair and ill-informed to suggest that the local people we serve are not kept in mind.

bwsau cymru

Wow a man who speaks sense!! I dont think choice have ever been terrible I complete understand about tue fleet and I think they have done a good uob with what they uad. We shouod be encouraging competition in the west midlands ok cannock is different but we need someone to stand up to national and prove to them there not god, hope arriva taking on choice will do a better job than what rotala are currently doing.
Finally network west midlands wont be network national express and will actually have a bigger presense by others!!
campaigning for better transport for all

covlad27

Quote from: jarh_9394 on January 19, 2013, 08:32:48 PM
Definately, and the cheek to be all over red with Midland on! midland red would turn in their grave lol seein that shower of s**t attemptin to emulate it!

Bob,

Having been involved with the company through several different lines of management - many of which, I accept, have not been what you and I would consider to be "bus people" - I cannot accept your misguided opinions backed up with no real fact. I have strived to bring an element of local understanding and professionalism to a budget-restricted operation with a tired fleet and, although the final product when Arriva moved in was short of what I would want, I do feel the company has come a long way from the later days when Choice merged with A2Z.

The recent takeover by Arriva has provided the largest window of opportunity this company has ever faced and, together with representatives from that organisation and new professionals brought in to the organisation, we intend to develop the business without the restrictive budgetary and, granted, professional constraints.

Your tiresome, slanderous comments, I feel, are unjustified given that nothing has happened yet because, largely, it cannot until the OFT has made its decision. Please stop questioning the professionalism of a worldwide organisation that has acquired a local company for a valid reason and runs its existing businesses not perfectly - but to the best of its ability. Local people are involved with this project and so it is unfair and ill-informed to suggest that the local people we serve are not kept in mind.

Well said, I agree with you 100%.  I think Midland have done a great job, like you said on a restricted budget.  I think with Arriva support the wednesfield operation will go along way, I hope to be part of it in the near future should positions become available

Bob

Bob,

'a window of opportunity'?? Look what happened when they took over chase? Also if the level of 'investment' involves 11 yr old ex london ( and probably clapped out) 23 seat mpd darts, well... Arriva's cannock fleet ( not all but mostly) is as ive said many times before tired and badly maintained and they ( a lot of the time) run far to small buses on interurban routes...

Bob

And given the fact that apart from a couple of deckers on one Wolverhampton route you dont run any more full sized buses or services that would warrant one i cant really see what sort of platform for expansion Arriva have got?  Or how much of a presence it will give them...

arrivaaston

To be honest when it was choice (the blue/white) they were quite shitty buses, the regular driver on the 23 had so much shit off passengers when it broke down and the same bus (P134MEH) would always brake down, and there's a solo that's often used on the 23 a regular for breaking down and needs a quick paint very soon I think its W298EYG all faded n shit

richie

As mentioned I think judgment should be passed after the oft have made there decision and arriva can or can't put there plans into operation. But if there intention is to compete directly with NX they do need a higher level of investment than refurbished London stock and be prepared that the dominant operator with around 80% market share and increasing are going to have a lot of fight in them and probably the largest private market share in one area.

Ash

Quote from: dannygill on January 19, 2013, 08:49:41 PM
Wow a man who speaks sense!! I dont think choice have ever been terrible I complete understand about tue fleet and I think they have done a good uob with what they uad. We shouod be encouraging competition in the west midlands ok cannock is different but we need someone to stand up to national and prove to them there not god, hope arriva taking on choice will do a better job than what rotala are currently doing.
Finally network west midlands wont be network national express and will actually have a bigger presense by others!!

What is rotala doing wrong danny as this comment is relating to diamond/wessex red/preston and all their operations. Not saying your comment is wrong or right just interested to what they could do to improve 'their better job' as well as what their currently doing wrong. I suppose similar to Midland now when rotala brought the diamond operation the fleet wasn't brilliant and i think the newest bus was on a 02/52 reg but they do the best as they are on a tight budget.

winston

Quote from: richie on January 19, 2013, 10:15:52 PM
As mentioned I think judgment should be passed after the oft have made there decision and arriva can or can't put there plans into operation. But if there intention is to compete directly with NX they do need a higher level of investment than refurbished London stock and be prepared that the dominant operator with around 80% market share and increasing are going to have a lot of fight in them and probably the largest private market share in one area.

I'm not so sure Arriva will increase competition against NX now even once the Midland deal finally goes through, they could have launched new competing services from their West Bromwich garage if they had wanted too. Arriva traditionally aren't as aggressive as say Stagecoach when it comes to taking on one of the big boys......

arrifirststage

Bob,

Bob

Also Arriva run to the best of their ability??? Yes in some areas Tamworth, etc they are pretty good, but Cannock? Good God they run it really REALLY badly, not to the best of their abilities at all! Branded buses off route EVERY SINGLE DAY, Small buses designed for minibus services put on busy interurban routes creating an unpleasant experience for passengers, filthy threadbare interiors, buses which are so badly maintained they have jerking gearboxes rattles bangs weird noises and god knows what. The way it is run is a joke.... I dont think anyone could, hand on heart in all honestly say that Cannock operations are run to the best of Arriva's ability...

Discodave

Bob,

Lets hope Arriva make a go of it and be able to keep the good name you say but how can you call poor allocation of vehicles (branded buses on everything apart from the route they are on) professional.  I have recently been promoted to a traffic manager and I have to allocate vehicles to runs. I may work for a well known French Haulage firm with red lorries but we work on behalf of a lot of major customers whom have like Arriva and other bus companies have liveried vehicles like branded buses and MUST be put onto that customers run.  We have in case of shortages generic red lorries which can be used anywhere.  What sort of an image would it make if I drove into a customers yard with a competetors liveried vehicle lets just say a few drivers jobs would go and possibly any chance of getting other contracts would be slim.  I have approched Arriva about this via facebook and so have many others and the reply is still there and support my view to this point.

Looking at past takeover performance Arriva have been well rubbish, and with what has arrived so far 4 refurbished buses small MPD ones shows they do not really want to give it a go (I may be wrong) more larger replacements may come over.  Cannock has had some investment but not as large as garages like Tamworth, Telford.  Some of Bobs points are right with regards to interurban routes and some interior quality but they are cleaner than NXWM I am afraid it is a fact,  but you can tell they are maintained to a cost and with the facilities Cannock have I cannot see why even though they have an older fleet mainly it is not maintained the best.  For a world wide organisation which makes a lot of money why are some areas left behind.

Discodave

Quote from: Winston on January 19, 2013, 11:38:38 PM
Quote from: richie on January 19, 2013, 10:15:52 PM

I'm not so sure Arriva will increase competition against NX now even once the Midland deal finally goes through, they could have launched new competing services from their West Bromwich garage if they had wanted too. Arriva traditionally aren't as aggressive as say Stagecoach when it comes to taking on one of the big boys......

Arriva try not to tread on the big boys toes but NXWM will not care about that they will fight until they are driven out unless NWM force co operation or co ordinated times etc but this would never happen or be hard to agree except on recent reviews like the 4/4H/4M and 10 in Wolverhampton the 301 could do with this sort of arrangement 3 or 4 buses running together either operator solves nothing but chaos along the route espically when the 302 kicks in at Bloxwich and the bus station we do not want anyone else hurt at the station.

Bob

Outcome of the OFT known yet??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk