News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Service Changes August 29th 2021.

Started by 2206, July 15, 2021, 04:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack D

I'm confused as to why the 96 doesn't go down to serve shard end shops would make sense to and would probably pick up more passengers.

MasterPlan

Quote from: Steve3229vp on August 17, 2021, 05:14:19 PM
I think it's because in the morning peak passengers travel more closely together over a smaller period of time. Also in the PM the school is just before the main rush hour whereas the AM has the school run happening at the same time as the main rush hour.

Fair enough.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, the Uni-Selly Oak link now down to every 20 minutes instead of every 10 mins (give or take).
I've noticed people that have used the link from the 61/63 to the QE etc too.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Quote from: ellspurs on August 17, 2021, 05:12:02 PM
Random guess, but the students all piling on in the morning but there being less of them in the afternoon?
They used to be packed/full pre covid in the afternoons the times I used them (Selly Oak/Uni Station - City), not sure about now though. COVID might have affected the passenger numbers on them perhaps. It was standing room only a lot of the time.
Quote from: Mike K on August 17, 2021, 04:26:21 PM
It isn't a mistake as there's a map showing the extension to Bartley Green section of the route on the main August changes page. The terminus will be the Field Lane / Romsley Road junction, where the 18 terminates.
Explains why the registration changed to Bartley Green.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Westy

Now, any chance of Diamond pulling their finger out & getting their updated timetables online, seeing they sparked this off, by sticking notices on buses?

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Jack D on August 17, 2021, 06:03:05 PM
I'm confused as to why the 96 doesn't go down to serve shard end shops would make sense to and would probably pick up more passengers.
I thought that as well, I think it better to run via Hurst Lane, Packington Avenue to Timberley Lane

monkeyjoe

The updates very  to the point, without any marketing spin about how these will benefit passengers bla bla bla. Fair play.

MasterPlan

I like how they've said the 48 will be changing route between QE & Northfield but not actually expanding on that. Why are there route maps for some and not others?
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

monkeyjoe

They normally try to justify why they have made changes. Maybe a new marketing team or they know they have a monopoly so don't have too.

ellspurs

Quote from: Jack D on August 17, 2021, 06:03:05 PM

Quote from: Steve3229vp on August 17, 2021, 06:16:20 PM
I thought that as well, I think it better to run via Hurst Lane, Packington Avenue to Timberley Lane

The layover time is 5 minutes in Kingstanding and 6 minutes in Chelmsley Wood. Would following the 53 route (up Old Croft Lane) to the shops cut into that too much?

Doing Hurst Lane - Packington Avenue would mean the buses miss the stop on Timberley Lane for the shops there.

All the new data seems to have been added to Google Maps already as well.

Steveminor

Good assessment. I very much doubt there would be time to go to shard end shops its going to be tight as it is.
I fully expect there to be delays to the 96 route

Trident 4194

Quote from: MasterPlan on August 17, 2021, 06:04:54 PM
Fair enough.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, the Uni-Selly Oak link now down to every 20 minutes instead of every 10 mins (give or take).
I've noticed people that have used the link from the 61/63 to the QE etc too.

The x20/X21 were always busier than the x22 as lots of people used these services to selly oak. Let's hope passenger numbers don't recover otherwise we could be in for some uncomfortable journeys. I welcome the x21 extension though. 2 buses I can use from Bartley green now

Stu

Quote from: Trident 4194 on August 17, 2021, 06:58:03 PM
Let's hope passenger numbers don't recover otherwise we could be in for some uncomfortable journeys.

Thats a very negative and selfish way of looking at this. These changes have come about because passenger numbers haven't recovered.

And if passenger levels don't increase, then bus companies will have no choice but to cut services further.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Mike K

Quote from: bususer28 on August 17, 2021, 05:49:59 PM
Yeah, I thought the X21 and X22 were both terminating at the Woodgate stop.
Smart move cause now services to Birmingham in the area are on the same side of the road (on the traveline map they were on opposite sides)

Is that correct though? The description of changes to the X21 says it turns from Field Lane into Romsley Road, terminates at the first stop and then makes a u-turn at the central reservation to wait time at the stop opposite. It then turns right onto Field Lane to resume service at the first stop on Field Lane. That means that the X21 and X22 towards the QE and city use different stops at the Romsley Road / Field Lane junction, unless I've misunderstood?

Quote from: Trident 4194 on August 17, 2021, 06:58:03 PM
The x20/X21 were always busier than the x22 as lots of people used these services to selly oak. Let's hope passenger numbers don't recover otherwise we could be in for some uncomfortable journeys. I welcome the x21 extension though. 2 buses I can use from Bartley green now
I was a little surprised the 48 isn't going to properly serve Selly Oak as well, like it currently does.
I mean Gibbins Road had a service before didn't it and the 48 was withdrawn probably because of low usage and then the 10S randomly served it for a brief while after and that also stopped. Do they expect anyone along there is going use it, or not along there?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Trident 4194

So is the 48 running direct from QE to weoley castle now then? Also on the changes they state passengers on the 20 can change onto the x21/x22 at QE hospital. The X21/X22 aren't serving QE hospital?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk