News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Service Changes 23/04/2017

Started by 2206, March 01, 2017, 04:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just seen this.
"The route of the 99 is being changed to try and overcome the traffic conditions it will face once the roadworks on the M5 start on 18th April. The service already suffers from long peak time delays through Harborne and random delays due to parking at the QE Hospital.

Our view was that the extra traffic diverting to local roads from the M5 would make the service almost impossible to operate through to Birmingham city centre. To maintain a reliable service as far as possible for most customers the 99 will be replaced by the 244 between Halesowen and QE Hospital and by the X64 between QE Hospital and Birmingham.

Sorry for any inconvenience to your journey."
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MasterPlan

I have to say that route around Hospital Way by the QE was poorly designed. There's little room to manoeuvre there at all, especially for buses. So many taxis getting in the way.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

B.C Driver

Regarding the X64 route changes, I feel this is a bad idea.
This is now one less route serving the busy Bristol Rd between the university gates, King Edward school, dental hospital, and Belgrave Rd.
If anything the X64 should have been re-routed to serve the main part of Selly Oak to help the 63s.
The 98 could have had an increased frequency to compensate for the lack of the 99 serving the QE.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

winston

Quote from: B.C Driver on March 24, 2017, 12:32:33 PM
This is now one less route serving the busy Bristol Rd between the university gates, King Edward school, dental hospital, and Belgrave Rd.
If anything the X64 should have been re-routed to serve the main part of Selly Oak to help the 63s.
The 98 could have had an increased frequency to compensate for the lack of the 99 serving the QE.

Are the 63's not coping then since frequencies were revised & X61 introduced?

B.C Driver

Quote from: Winston on March 24, 2017, 12:34:29 PM
Are the 63's not coping then since frequencies were revised & X61 introduced?

They are coping, just. But if anything happens along the 63 route there is no other route to lend support.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

MasterPlan

Quote from: B.C Driver on March 24, 2017, 12:32:33 PM

The Bristol Road doesn't need the X64.

If the 63 was to need help the 98 should provide it given it too goes through Northfield and Longbridge.

B.C Driver

Quote from: MasterPlan on March 24, 2017, 01:42:35 PM
The Bristol Road doesn't need the X64.

If the 63 was to need help the 98 should provide it given it too goes through Northfield and Longbridge.

I'm talking about the very busy stretch of the Bristol Rd between Selly Oak and City. The 98 is hardly a help, people wanting to travel into City through Northfield and Longbridge want a direct bus, not snaking around the QE and minor roads leading to Five Ways then stuck in trsffic at Five Ways island itself.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

MasterPlan

Quote from: B.C Driver on March 24, 2017, 01:54:23 PM
I'm talking about the very busy stretch of the Bristol Rd between Selly Oak and City. The 98 is hardly a help, people wanting to travel into City through Northfield and Longbridge want a direct bus, not snaking around the QE and minor roads leading to Five Ways then stuck in trsffic at Five Ways island itself.

I know what you were talking about but that way it would follow most of the same route. Also rerouting the​ X64 would take away links between Bartley Green. Also the 48's frequency has dropped.

It's irrelevant anyway in my opinion as I don't think the​ 63 needs help.

Mike K

Quote from: B.C Driver on March 24, 2017, 01:54:23 PM

Here's a novel idea. Renumber the X61 to the 61, have it operate along the Bristol Road through Selly Oak, and change the city centre terminus to the same as the 63. The time difference through it being limited stop looks negligible during the day.

BigDaddyCool

I wish they would do something with the numbering.

I don't get why an 'x' is now going to be required in front of the x64 - it crawls in and out of town as it is, I don't see this getting better.

I don't get why the 98 is numbered the 98. Perhaps due the 99 and the route it currently takes in / out of the city, but that's soon to go...

I would have it simplified,

X61 - keep as it is
63 - keep as it is
X64 - re number to 64
98 - re number to 62

That way it's simplified, follows a pattern and is in some kind of order.. from a marketing and branding point of view surely this makes sense?

Steve3229vp

Why are NXWM using numbers 80A when 81 could of been used and also 120A when 123 could of been used, surely it's only necessary to use suffix letters when no other numbers are available.

B.C Driver

Quote from: BigDaddyCool on March 24, 2017, 11:53:25 PM
I wish they would do something with the numbering.

I don't get why an 'x' is now going to be required in front of the x64 - it crawls in and out of town as it is, I don't see this getting better.

I don't get why the 98 is numbered the 98. Perhaps due the 99 and the route it currently takes in / out of the city, but that's soon to go...

I would have it simplified,

X61 - keep as it is
63 - keep as it is
X64 - re number to 64
98 - re number to 62

That way it's simplified, follows a pattern and is in some kind of order.. from a marketing and branding point of view surely this makes sense?

Yes, the X64 needs to loose the X thats for sure
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

Kevin

Quote from: MasterPlan on March 24, 2017, 02:10:29 PM
It's irrelevant anyway in my opinion as I don't think the​ 63 needs help.

Somehow I'd tend to side with the actual bus driver on this one
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

DJ

Does anyone have any details on the timetable for Hansons on the 276? Could see my Dad not be late for work as often if there's one at the right time, but I'm not too convinced!  ;D

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Stu

Quote from: DJ98 on March 29, 2017, 12:41:16 AM
Does anyone have any details on the timetable for Hansons on the 276? Could see my Dad not be late for work as often if there's one at the right time, but I'm not too convinced!  ;D

Timetable is on the NWM website:
https://journeyplanner.networkwestmidlands.com/Timetables/Download/cen_27276_%20_H_y11/2/Hansons_276/True
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk