News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Repaints / retrims 2015

Started by Tony, January 09, 2015, 10:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: s94 on September 16, 2015, 07:04:05 PM
Are there no plans to send these off for the new livery at all?

Would be nice to see some PE buses go in for repaint now and start seeing more of the new livery but I would guess the B7s will be the last to go for painting.

I agree, but Tony says buses are being repainted into new livery by route.

However as NE have said that 6116 -22 are multiuser and can be used on the 140/1/241, then surely a number of Tridents should be repainted to fully convert these routes!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

s94

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 16, 2015, 07:09:16 PM

However as NE have said that 6116 -22 are multiuser and can be used on the 140/1/241, then surely a number of Tridents should be repainted to fully convert these routes!
Indeed. Can understand the current system for consistency etc. I think the omnilinks and E400s look superb in the new livery. Will just have to wait our turn I suppose at this end of the network. Hopefully it won't be too long now. Maybe before Christmas? Who knows! Lol. :)

Stu

Would be nice to see some Geminis at AG repainted in to the new livery, maybe for the 1 or 11A/C routes? I think it was mentioned as a rumour about branding for the 1, would suit the 1 really as it would then complement the already-Crimson single decks that will get used more regularly at evenings and on Sundays.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

winston

Quote from: s94 on September 16, 2015, 07:13:50 PM
Indeed. Can understand the current system for consistency etc. I think the omnilinks and E400s look superb in the new livery. Will just have to wait our turn I suppose at this end of the network. Hopefully it won't be too long now. Maybe before Christmas? Who knows! Lol. :)

There's only 3 more WB E400's to be done after current batch, the Dundee B7RLE's are virtually done and there's only 1 more NXC E400 to do after the current batch going through refurb are completed. This should then allow for a couple of new batches of buses/routes to be treated to Crimson

BU07 LGO

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 16, 2015, 07:09:16 PM

I think I read somewhere that if the tridents/Geminis have a DPF filter installed (like London) they will be euro 5? So maybe NX could consider this?

winston

Quote from: BU07 LGO on September 16, 2015, 08:23:33 PM
I think I read somewhere that if the tridents/Geminis have a DPF filter installed (like London) they will be euro 5? So maybe NX could consider this?

I thought the exhaust traps improved the emissions by one Euro rating i.e. Euro 3 would become a Euro 4 etc?

Tony

Quote from: Winston on September 16, 2015, 08:28:56 PM
I thought the exhaust traps improved the emissions by one Euro rating i.e. Euro 3 would become a Euro 4 etc?

Traps cost up to £20,000 per bus so the value on a 12 year old bus has to be considered, but yes they can take a bus up to Euro 5 quality

winston

Quote from: Tony on September 16, 2015, 08:30:47 PM
Traps cost up to £20,000 per bus so the value on a 12 year old bus has to be considered, but yes they can take a bus up to Euro 5 quality

I didn't realize it improved the emissions by 2 ratings, wouldn't it be cheaper to put a new Euro 5 engine in as you would also benefit from improve fuel economy / reduced maintenance etc. Obviously only in buses with sufficient life left where the costs could be recouped

Tony

Quote from: Winston on September 16, 2015, 08:38:42 PM
I didn't realize it improved the emissions by 2 ratings, wouldn't it be cheaper to put a new Euro 5 engine in as you would also benefit from improve fuel economy / reduced maintenance etc. Obviously only in buses with sufficient life left where the costs could be recouped

Putting a new engine in a Gemini if it is possible would cost around £40,000 because of all the mods required

winston

Quote from: Tony on September 16, 2015, 08:59:07 PM
Putting a new engine in a Gemini if it is possible would cost around £40,000 because of all the mods required

I presume when you're looking at that kind of money, it is more cost effective to buy new

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on September 16, 2015, 08:59:07 PM

would you be able to recoup £40,000 per bus before the Geminis are eventually withdrawn, doubtful I would have thought!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 16, 2015, 09:02:08 PM
would you be able to recoup £40,000 per bus before the Geminis are eventually withdrawn, doubtful I would have thought!

You probably could as the B7 is a decent chassis, Wrights bodies don't rot and most engines will give you about 8 years service average, it is whether a company would consider it more value for money than buying new. To put a new Euro 6 B5 engine in, which is what you would need to do to get value for money because Birmingham goes Euro 6 in 2020 would also need a new gearbox, hence the cost

Stuharris 6360

When do the early Tridents become non compliant ?

winston

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 16, 2015, 09:24:46 PM
When do the early Tridents become non compliant ?

May 2017 without any mods

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Winston on September 16, 2015, 09:26:10 PM
May 2017 without any mods

Thanks @Winston, take it by then some may be withdrawn, but some later ones modified?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk