News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Platinum

Started by JoNi, October 09, 2014, 09:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Stevo on June 06, 2015, 09:29:52 PM
The comparison should be between the Platinums and their contemporaries, the MMC E400s. The Timesavers, with much more comfortable seats, a four speed gearbox, higher top speed and revised interior colours were a greater improvement on contemporary Metrobuses than Platinums are over the MMC E400s  This isn't to disparage the Platinums in any way.

And the Platinums and their contemporaries have more comfortable seats, higher top speed, revised interior colours (notice the similarities), but then also have wifi and have got councils to improve bus priority because of the investment (watch out for bus lane cameras appearing on the 934/5/6, 997 & X51 corridor), Watch out for roadworks to improve Bordesley Circus on the 900/957 corridor. The only thing missing is the extra gear which I doubt passengers really noticed on the Metrobuses, and is not needed on the E400s as they are quite capable of 62mph without it

don

Very impressive vehicles - I'm hoping to get a trip on one and a crimson MMC next week.

Is it my imagination or has the influx of new vehicles from ADL slowed to a snail's pace? They seemed to be arriving at the rate of half a dozen a week a month or so back.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Stuharris 6360

and when are Wolverhampton, Dudley & Stourbridge going to get Platinum!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Ashley 60171

Quote from: Bryan on June 06, 2015, 06:45:06 PM
Quite a few people appear to be excited about the introduction of these Platinum vehicles, but West Midlands PTE had similar upmarket vehicles on the 'Timesaver' routes. It has just been that over the years the services have been downgraded in vehicle specification and now, lo and behold, everyone is supposed to get excited.

Didn't the Timesavers get trashed much quicker though because of the graffiti era?

Tony

Quote from: Ashley 60171 on June 06, 2015, 09:55:13 PM
Didn't the Timesavers get trashed much quicker though because of the graffiti era?

Yes, Most also only had dummy CCTV,
When delivered they had carpets which were a disaster which soon became an oily mess and was removed.
They were delivered with only 23 seats downstairs, 4 of which faced backwards at the rear another bad decision which had to be changed with the addition of four extra seats.
The seats, while very comfy could easily be broken by moronic idiots pushing them back & forth a couple of times.

But they are from the past so they must have been better!

Bob

The timesaver seats were far more comfortable than seats on any newer bus werent they

Tony

Quote from: Bob on June 06, 2015, 10:14:15 PM
The timesaver seats were far more comfortable than seats on any newer bus werent they

Have you been on a Platinum yet Bob?

Ashley 60171

Quote from: Tony on June 06, 2015, 10:03:48 PM
Yes, Most also only had dummy CCTV,
When delivered they had carpets which were a disaster which soon became an oily mess and was removed.
They were delivered with only 23 seats downstairs, 4 of which faced backwards at the rear another bad decision which had to be changed with the addition of four extra seats.
The seats, while very comfy could easily be broken by moronic idiots pushing them back & forth a couple of times.

But they are from the past so they must have been better!

Showing my lack of age. I saw a picture somewhere online of a rear shot of a Timesaver and you could see the rear seats upstairs. Well what was left of them. You know already my idea of nostalgia, but I'm still to sample a Platinum.

Russ Smith

Not sure if this is because I'm quite broad and tall, but I found the Platinum's seats really uncomfortable, the height of the headrest and the padding on the sides seemed to squash my upper body in a bit. Maybe they could have some 'Big Boy' seats like at Drayton Manor haha

Gareth

I personally found the platinum seats to be as comfortable as any new bus. Nothing out of the ordinary. I actually found the seats on the ex PB batch of leather Enviros to be more comfortable when new.

Westy

On the old Timesavers, wasn't there supposed to be public address systems on them, according to what I remember of the prelaunch publicity?

If there was, they never got used did they?

(Union reasons?)

I'll wait for the Platinums until they appear at Walsall personally.

If they appear on the Bloxwich & Cannock extensions, it'll be a culture shock!

domino.99

Quote from: Westy on June 06, 2015, 11:52:32 PM
On the old Timesavers, wasn't there supposed to be public address systems on them, according to what I remember of the prelaunch publicity?

If there was, they never got used did they?

(Union reasons?)

I'll wait for the Platinums until they appear at Walsall personally.

If they appear on the Bloxwich & Cannock extensions, it'll be a culture shock!

I was told earlier that the Platinums have a PA System

Bob

Not been on one yet tony no. Will they appear pn the cannock trips on X51s?

paulb1973

Quote from: Ashley 60171 on June 06, 2015, 09:55:13 PM

I can recall LS-operated 27xx & 28xx Metrobuses in the late 159/early 900 era heading in to and out of Coventry covered in graffiti upstairs. The Timesavers, presumably caught the full force, in that 1986-88 'graffiti era'

James4368

6701,6711 on 957 today
Local Bus Routes
58 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
60 - Birmingham - Cranes Park
99 - Lea Village - Acocks Green
S16 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
X1 - Birmingham - Coventry
X2 - Birmingham - Solihull

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk