News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

New tram

Started by karl724223, April 02, 2014, 10:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

First trip today on New CAF tram (No 20) from Weds Parkway to Snow Hill. First impressions are that the vehicle interior is a vast improvement over the T69's. Bright, airy and a feeling of spaciousness. The seats weren't particularly comfortable although should be fine for a short hop tram journey. On the downside the passenger information system was having trouble with its sat nav resulting in our arrival at Snow Hill being announced and shown as St Pauls! Nothing that can't be put right. I was, however, disappointed with the 'ride' of the vehicle. There was some serious swaying in places enough to make passengers pay attention to the movement and at a number of points on the route there was significant vibration which you could feel through the floor and seating. Presumably something to do with the contact between wheels and rail? Also at a couple of points where there were clearly rail joints the vehicle 'crashed' over them rather than passed over them with noticeable jolting. Get the impression that the 'off road' tracks could do with some maintenance. Overall 8/10 with some room for improvement probably track maintenance/ replacement.

Stevo

The problem with full low floor cars is that they can't have bogies as they'd rotate and foul a low gangway so the trams run on four-wheel trucks. There isn't the secondary suspension that the bogie mount gives so the ride is less insulated from track irregularities and joints. Ride on a T69 over a bogie right after riding on an Urbos over a truck and you'll find the ride smoother and more even.

RW

Thanks for that Stevo. Didn't have that level of expertise myself. Presumably though the condition of the track will play a part in the quality of ride of the new vehicles?

Alex

Two trams, 21, & anotherthat i didn't see the number of, in service today, both headed towards Priestfield
Hypocrites are like flares... a right pain if one goes near you, and really annoying to get rid of...

My YouTube channel: Alex Jones

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjxo69BfENu3fiWuzCNYyg

windy miller

NewTrams thro west brom today (thurs) 18th.. 20 22 24 in service and 27 on test runs to S hill still with bubble wrap seat coverings!  apparently 3 in service and 1 on test each morning to around 1pm is a daily schedule :-\..
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Solo1

Solo1

why are we only seening the same trams out when they have approx 11 of ther new one i n the depot

dw1308

Im guessing as they have the old T69s still in depot they are probably getting their moneys worth before sending all of the new trams out.......just a theory mind :]

Stevo

5 Urbos out today in service but an 18 minute gap in the service. The Metro seemed very quiet - perhaps the poor arrangements at Priestfield deter Wolverhampton passengers. (The 79 went past just before we got to the stop today and the 39 didn't turn up - an 18 minute wait for the next 79. Not good enough!)

windy miller

I spent a short time in west brom today. There were at least 6 new trams in service..18  19.. 21  22  24  27  and the three 'new' WB 400's 4967/68/69 were all working on the 74/75 SVC
I had thought that a trip to wolves might be a good idea... from your post I'm glad I didn't bother!  Are tram passengers required to pay an additional £1.80 (or whatever) for the p/poor bus service from preistfield?... >:( >:(
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Stevo

As I posted earlier people with passes get on the bus from the tram and those passes, for instance senior passes, are touched on the machine, so Centro is paying twice. I'm not sure about tickets - there's very little info other than posters on the stops which merely say the line is being curtailed at Priestfield. Presumably you can buy tram tickets in Wolverhampton but I don't know how - there are no signs in the bus station that I could see. In fact the bus station screen still tells passengers the trams start from the St Georges stop! As I said - not good enough.

Tony

Quote from: Stevo on September 24, 2014, 08:39:07 PM
As I posted earlier people with passes get on the bus from the tram and those passes, for instance senior passes, are touched on the machine, so Centro is paying twice. I'm not sure about tickets - there's very little info other than posters on the stops which merely say the line is being curtailed at Priestfield. Presumably you can buy tram tickets in Wolverhampton but I don't know how - there are no signs in the bus station that I could see. In fact the bus station screen still tells passengers the trams start from the St Georges stop! As I said - not good enough.

Both times I have been in Wolverhampton there has been a tram conductor with a ticket machine stood by the 39/79 stop issuing tickets to those changing onto the tram

notepanel

Quote from: Stevo on September 24, 2014, 08:39:07 PM

Every time I've been on the 39/79 from Wolves recently there have been a few Metro conductors stood near to the bus stop stand - although they appear to avoid contact with customers in that they always seem to be talking to each other/backs turned etc. rather than proactively shouting out/speaking to passengers.

That being said, I had to laugh the last time I was there when despite there being 3 Metro Conductors, the bus Inspector & the bus station supervisor all stood very near to the stand, one passenger still came over to me to ask if the 39 served Priestfield, whilst several others asked other passengers.

In my personal opinion, there should be a queue system put in place at the 39/79 stand in Wolverhampton to aid the queue (certain services can get busy and its a bit of a free for all when the bus comes in) for the duration of the works. This would make it easier for the Metro Conductor to speak along the queue and inform customers they can get both the 39 & 79 for example.

In addition, the bus drivers on the 39/79s I have been on appear to make very little effort to announce the arrival at the metro stop (it's not the most obvious and again on several journeys I've heard customers worrying & asking each other when Priestfield actually is.) It would be nice if the conductor or driver could announce just before the bus leaves Wolverhampton, "Please be advised the driver will announce when this service arrives at Priestfield for Midland Metro tram connections" or something along those lines, and for the bus driver to actually do that.

Other Walsall Tony

Does anyone know if the names on the T69s will be transferred to the new trams? It would be a shame if they were lost, especially 'Sister Dora'.
Tony

Stevo

I  agree, notepanel. But there's no substitute for a proper dedicated bus service. At the moment Stagecoach Supertram in Sheffield is providing two bus shuttles, one for a planned blockage and another because of a hole that's appeared by the track. They don't just tell passengers to board a scheduled service.

(Other Tony - I like your Walsall photo - those were the days!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk