News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Refurbs

Started by John, May 07, 2012, 11:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BU07 LGO

Quote from: Gareth on April 16, 2013, 12:11:46 AM
But didnt BC have 44** Tridents branded for the 900 when new?

They did i know 4425 and 6 were definately branded

Mike K

Quote from: BU07 LGO on April 16, 2013, 12:28:36 AM

They did but I think the Airport speed bumps are a more recent thing, later than the days of the 44xx 900 branded Tridents.

John

4425-4432 were all branded

BCMobile

Quote from: Mike K on April 16, 2013, 06:58:35 AM

They did but I think the Airport speed bumps are a more recent thing, later than the days of the 44xx 900 branded Tridents.

Yep.

When new they were for 900, nice branding too but this driver wrecked them in about 2007-8-ish. Employment terminated in 2009-ish.

MW

Yeah I remember back in 2009ish they weren't allowed on the 900 lol, I think that's when they were first debranded. I thought it was 44** onwards, including the later BX54 batch.

Ash

I always thought the 900 tridents got debranded due to the high mileage they were clocking up on the service but obviously it's due to the lower underneath gear boxes.

John

Quote from: Ash on April 16, 2013, 12:41:37 PM
I always thought the 900 tridents got debranded due to the high mileage they were clocking up on the service but obviously it's due to the lower underneath gear boxes.

I'm not sure about that as someone else has said the 97 is worked by 44** Tridents and they have had no trouble at the airport.

Sh4318

Quote from: John on April 16, 2013, 02:47:52 PM
Quote from: Ash on April 16, 2013, 12:41:37 PM

I'm not sure about that as someone else has said the 97 is worked by 44** Tridents and they have had no trouble at the airport.

I don't think the 97 route has to pass the speed bump, I think it just avoids it before getting to Birmingham International Rail Station
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

BCMobile

Quote from: Michael on April 16, 2013, 11:58:40 AM
Yeah I remember back in 2009ish they weren't allowed on the 900 lol, I think that's when they were first debranded. I thought it was 44** onwards, including the later BX54 batch.

Well the BX54 batch was the final facelift tridents we had (is 4634 the last trident nx has? Correct me please. Alx400 chassis enviro doesn't count lol), they solved the gearbox issue but the retarders on them are very jerky.The body would bolt forward an inch with the handbrake on. They've improved a snatch but still an issue in my opinion. Nicest buses we got though.

And Shaun is right regarding the airport it enters a different way then the 900 I'm told, I never bothered learning it as I've no intention to ever set foot on a 97 again since the incident. Except obviously to go to the garage lol

Anyway, regarding refurbs, I presume there is a leveling system involved as some vehicles come back with just new seats but others look as though they've been sent back to Dennis for a rebuild.

Others come back with CrystalEye CCTV retrofitted, others haven't been touched electrics wise.

B.C Driver

Quote from: BCMobile on April 16, 2013, 04:26:07 PM

Well the BX54 batch was the final facelift tridents we had (is 4634 the last trident nx has? Correct me please. Alx400 chassis enviro doesn't count lol), they solved the gearbox issue but the retarders on them are very jerky.The body would bolt forward an inch with the handbrake on. They've improved a snatch but still an issue in my opinion. Nicest buses we got though.

And Shaun is right regarding the airport it enters a different way then the 900 I'm told, I never bothered learning it as I've no intention to ever set foot on a 97 again since the incident. Except obviously to go to the garage lol

Anyway, regarding refurbs, I presume there is a leveling system involved as some vehicles come back with just new seats but others look as though they've been sent back to Dennis for a rebuild.

Others come back with CrystalEye CCTV retrofitted, others haven't been touched electrics wise.

Hello to my collegue,

I much prefer the 41XX, 42XX and 43XX Tridents, much smoother, no jerking or kangorooing :)
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

Mike K

What incident would this be BC Mobile? Are you at liberty to tell?

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Quote from: Bham Central Driver on April 16, 2013, 05:18:41 PM

Hello to my collegue,

I much prefer the 41XX, 42XX and 43XX Tridents, much smoother, no jerking or kangorooing :)

Can't agree more, the Y reg and 52 ones in particular are my favourites from a passenger point of view as well, seem quieter and smoother as you say and have lighter interiors and floors also aided by the extra window behind the staircase

Edit**** Sorry meant 52 plate ones

nitromatt1

Quote from: wilmotm on April 16, 2013, 05:43:35 PM

Hello to my collegue,

Can't agree more, the Y reg and 02 ones in particular are my favourites from a passenger point of view as well, seem quieter and smoother as you say and have lighter interiors and floors also aided by the extra window behind the staircase

The BV52 plates are the best Voith Tridents. However generally the ZF ones, although less smooth, are faster, so they'd win my vote. 4541 and 4609 are two fast examples ;)

BCMobile

Hello to my collegue,

Hi there!

Oh without a shadow of a doubt you're right. The age of the 41's are showing without refurb, with very heavy steering and brakes. I got to tell ya, the best buses i've driven are the late 43XX. If you look out for the ones with smooth black plastic steering wheels you'll know the ones. They have no bouncing or jolting, the 41's seem to rock just before the power delivery, 43's have no defects from what I can see. I think the original BC ones (like 4355 etc) are the best, shame YW has still claimed ours. (Buggars...)

Quote from: Mike K on April 16, 2013, 05:24:30 PM

What incident would this be BC Mobile? Are you at liberty to tell?

All I can really say is a couple of key words and the rest you can work out; Daysaver, Year Old, ............ . You dont need to be an investigator to work that one out. Not worth it over £3.90

Hello to my collegue,

Can't agree more, the Y reg and 52 ones in particular are my favourites from a passenger point of view as well, seem quieter and smoother as you say and have lighter interiors and floors also aided by the extra window behind the staircase

Edit**** Sorry meant 52 plate ones

You'll be suprised how many people dont notice that extra window by the staircase; it does add an airy feel. I always want to ask passengers how my driving was, just to make sure i'm not braking harshly without my knowledge. Do you, as a passenger, notice the jolt as some of the buses come to a stop? I see it when I catch a bus home, peoples heads bounce back.

Quote from: nitromatt1 on April 16, 2013, 05:48:39 PM

Hello to my collegue,

Can't agree more, the Y reg and 02 ones in particular are my favourites from a passenger point of view as well, seem quieter and smoother as you say and have lighter interiors and floors also aided by the extra window behind the staircase

The BV52 plates are the best Voith Tridents. However generally the ZF ones, although less smooth, are faster, so they'd win my vote. 4541 and 4609 are two fast examples ;)

Oh on a "fast" road (Such as the 900, with the National Speed Limit roads, quick acceleration down the slip road is preferable) as such you do need a ZF, just make sure passengers hold on (You dont want someone walking round the bus as you're accelerating, as gear changes can be sudden. Easy to unsettle some people - nothing bad is ment by this comment)  ;)

Best Regards To All,

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Quote from: BCMobile on April 16, 2013, 06:09:25 PM

You'll be suprised how many people dont notice that extra window by the staircase; it does add an airy feel. I always want to ask passengers how my driving was, just to make sure i'm not braking harshly without my knowledge. Do you, as a passenger, notice the jolt as some of the buses come to a stop? I see it when I catch a bus home, peoples heads bounce back.

Never has a little window made such a difference, changed the whole feel of the downstairs and in my opinion evens out the design of the bus matching the opposite window.

And yes occasionally, not so much on the older buses, but the new Enviro 200's as already mentioned and the B7RLE's most definetly. And I can say for a fact that it is not just the drivers, know a WN driver and always seem to travel on buses he drives and the same route, same driver with a Trident his driving is fine, some of the best out there but give him a B7RLE and its quite different.

Sometimes when a driver opens the doors slightly before coming to a stop i.e. the bus is still doing 1-2 mph there also seems to be a jolt when coming to a stop when is it the the bus stop brake??? applies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk