News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Refurbs

Started by John, May 07, 2012, 11:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

How come some buses that are repainted into NXWM livery, are those that look ok on the outside and a lot neater than others, but there are many vehicles that are running about in TWM livery, that look awful with mismatched panels, scrapes and dents. The last time I saw 4493 and 4494 on old livery, they were smart and I think there was no need for them to be repainted (unless they have had accidents).

A few examples I can think of are 4490, 4303, most of the old 33 Gemini's and 4246.

andy

It's a great point John, in my experience a bus will be refurbed when there is the opportunity to combine it with other extensive work that needs doing on the vehicle i.e. a considerable mechanical refit like new engine or gearbox, or an MOT that requires a lot of work, or an accident. Basically if the bus is already due to be off the road for say, a week, you might as well be doing the refurb at the same time and extend the VOR period by a few more days, it's more efficient.

It may just be that the buses you see in the worst condition bodywork wise are in fact the best ones mechanically, or just not due any downtime or maintenance work for a while.

Ashley

I think repaint candidates would have to be a handful of YW/BC Tridents, WB/PB Volvo B7TLs

ilovetea4370

4161 4182 and 4338 are all in need of repaint or even just a tidy up!

Tony

And you haven't seen 4338 looking tatty for some time, It has been at Walsall for about a month getting a refurb & repaint!

PM

I must say that NXWM are working really hard on refurbing/repainting buses at the moment tho they do need to.

Tony

1629 is another, back at Pensnett repainted & retrimmed and being fitted with LED destinations

MW

Quote from: Tony on May 13, 2012, 08:04:28 PM
And you haven't seen 4338 looking tatty for some time, It has been at Walsall for about a month getting a refurb & repaint!

As I haven't been on a refurbished ALX400, are these as intense as the President refurbs back in 2007/2008? LED displays would be nice, but aren't really required as the Dot Matrix's to the job, although they are very hard to read, and some YW Tridents look as if they are faded!

PM

I can only comment for tridents on the bristol road refurbished not too long ago with old style seating. Theyre fine

Tony

Quote from: Michael on May 13, 2012, 08:17:46 PM
Quote from: Tony on May 13, 2012, 08:04:28 PM

As I haven't been on a refurbished ALX400, are these as intense as the President refurbs back in 2007/2008? LED displays would be nice, but aren't really required as the Dot Matrix's to the job, although they are very hard to read, and some YW Tridents look as if they are faded!

see the photo of 4148 to know if they are as good as the president refurb. In a way they are better, because the Presidents kept their original engines. (4338 is only getting the bodywork refresh, and not the Euro 5 engine)

Ash

4274 is a great example of how the alx400 improve in appearence with the LED display at the front and the interior retrim and im sure some people have mistaken it for being a new bus

MW

Quote from: Ash on May 13, 2012, 08:24:35 PM
4274 is a great example of how the alx400 improve in appearence with the LED display at the front and the interior retrim and im sure some people have mistaken it for being a new bus

Looking at Tony's photograph, yeah it does look better. I like the BC ALX400, I think 4632? which has an LED display. It's made a few appearances on the 957 as of late.

ilovetea4370

I must say I hadn't even noticed not seeing 4338 I just assumed it had been on other routes, good to know its getting that treatment though it certainly needed it!

Ash

Quote from: Michael on May 13, 2012, 08:28:16 PM
Quote from: Ash on May 13, 2012, 08:24:35 PM

Looking at Tony's photograph, yeah it does look better. I like the BC ALX400, I think 4632? which has an LED display. It's made a few appearances on the 957 as of late.

Yeah 4274 certainly looks better especially when you compare it with the pic below on tony's photo's same new NXWM livery and same service and destination display much improved.

Rob H

Is 4150 having a refurb and repaint because haven't seen it for a while :)
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk