News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

NX Hybrids

Started by Nathan4775, April 18, 2012, 06:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the hybrids do you prefer?

Volvo B5LH
45 (55.6%)
Enviro400H
36 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 81

MW

Quote from: Zach Jordan on April 23, 2012, 06:07:36 PM
The Spectra's are of no problem at all to the Birmingham low emission thing, but will be going reasonably soon due to their age! The Presidents on the other hand look like they could cause a slight problem, but they could easily transfer out to WB/AG for newer buses to be transferred into Central (although that'd involve BC receiving Gemini's or ALX400 B7TLs unless some other dubious swaps happened!)

No they are not a problem but with 100 deckers leaving Birmingham, Wolverhampton is a depot that springs to mind for the few that may have to leave so they could easily wipe out some Spectras, although with the Enviro Hybrids for WN, the Spectras are fine for now.

Either way, some Presidents will have to escape from Birmingham. AG could take around 55, but where are the other 45 going to go. Would it not be easier for them to go to WN for 45 Tridents?

richie

Can't the presidents just have exhaust devices fitted to make them euro 2 compliant?

Liberator9

I'm warming to the Presidents now so I don't mind if more come to AG but the 5 would need some Geminis still as the Presidents are now banned due to a bridge height problem somewhere on the 5.

Stu

Quote from: richie on April 23, 2012, 08:09:20 PM
Can't the presidents just have exhaust devices fitted to make them euro 2 compliant?

That's a possibility, but I don't know what the cost implications are. As the Presidents have already had so much money invested in them, having been refurbed once before and fitted with LED displays, as well as numerous repaints, if they're likely to be withdrawn in the next couple of years it may not be worth it.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

PM

I guess so but think of the cost involved for vehicles which cant have more than 5 years-and thats being optimistic-left in the fleet. Tho i do like them as theyre good comfortable attractive buses in great condition and they also sound great.

PM

Its true the presidents have had a lot of money spent on them-as opposed to say the Y reg tridents, the 51 reg volvo/alx400s and even the 03 tridents are starting to look a bit scrappy yet I recently went on a refurbished 54 reg trident when there are Y reg ones yet to be refurbished. Wheres the logic in that???

Stu

Quote from: Peter123 on April 23, 2012, 08:28:19 PM
I guess so but think of the cost involved for vehicles which cant have more than 5 years-and thats being optimistic-left in the fleet. Tho i do like them as theyre good comfortable attractive buses in great condition and they also sound great.

Not all of them sound great, I had possibly the two noisiest Presidents in the fleet (4026 and 4101) doing full shifts on the 1 all day yesterday, whizzing past my house every 30 minutes!  :o
My locals:

richie

Quote from: Peter123 on April 23, 2012, 08:28:19 PM

I have no idea what the cost is to fit such a device but they wouldn't have to do them all and they could approach some one like ADL or volvo and get them done at a reduced rate in return for future orders of buses and or coaches. The president maybe viable to do this seeing they have all been refurbed, digi blinds, new lights on some and cctv on all.

Nathan4775

Quote from: John-s-91 on April 23, 2012, 07:04:25 PM
This is all my personal opinion, however silly it might sound! (sorry it is long winded!)

The President's will have to be transferred elsewhere rather than to WB I think, as only one of their current double decker operated routes does not go into Birmingham, which is the 451, which I would think takes about 14 buses on it in the peak. Unless West Brom are planning to convert other routes such as the 401, 402, 448, 449 to double decker if possible maybe to repalce B6's or 0405Ns, then West Brom would have to lose some Presidents itself, and replace them with double deckers that could go into the city centre. As it seems, there are not enough Volvo B7TL's currently at West Bromwich to cover all of the 74, 75, 80, 82, 87, 127 and 128, so that means that from somewhere, buses will have to come to West Bromwich for all of these routes that are allowed into the city centre, even if they have to introduce Tridents from Wolverhampton/Walsall to help clear Presidents from their city centre routes. Not from Perry Barr, because all of their B7TL's are needed for their own city centre routes. Acocks Green might be able to spare a few more Gemini's, but not enough for the amount that WB might need.

Birmingham Central still have 31 President's, all of which need to go elsewhere, the solution might be to transfer these to garages not in Birmingham like Wolverhampton, Walsall or Coventry, or maybe even Yardley Wood (for Solihull routes 49, 76 and 18) unless there is a specific reason why they can't, who can spare Trident's to replace the President's at Central. I think that the 900 could be upgraded with the 7 ex 997 Gemini's at Walsall, to replace 7 President's at BC, as there must be enough Enviro's, both old and new at Walsall to Cover the 997 and 51/X51, or even some Gemini's from Acocks Green, transferred for President's.

Somewhere it is more than likely that at least one garage will have to take in a new type of bus that they have not operated before or for a very long time, even if this is only short term until more new buses are ordered next year.

I don't think that many people will agree with what I have said, but this is just what I am thinking (with no insider knowledge of NXWM).

West Bromwich have seemed to gain many Double deckers, also they brought a storage place opposite the police station which was quite full of Double Deckers & 045NS, Service 448 doesn't really need double deckers as a 045N is half full at the best of times, Service 401/402/405/406 could possibly be upgraded to double deckers as few Gemini's are sneaking on that route from time to time same for the 449, I'm not quite sure about 401/402 as they operate no were near were I live but as they have only been operated by B6LES & Darts it cannot be that crowded I can't imagine. Service 451 doesn't need to be double Decker operated; I think a Merc would suit that route just fine. Are Tridents allowed into the City Centre or does it depend on the fleet number? Couldn't WB do a swap with WN/YW/WA, e.g. If Plaxton's cannot operate into the City Centre then couldn't WB do a swap with either WA/YW/WN were WB Plaxton's go to them garage then in return they could get Plaxton's. In my eyes I don't see a problem with that but then again someone will find a problem with that comment.

Couldn't Birmingham's Presidents go to Garages Perry Barr/Yardley Wood/Coventry? Because Perry Barr have operated these buses in the past but then again most of Perry Barr's Bus routes enter Birmingham Except 654/651/28 which are Solo Operated & Ominilink operated therefore PB wouldn't benefit from them unless they convert Service 28 to double decker operation which I carnt see happening but possible, because if the 28 went double decker operation then some of BC plaxtons could go there ?. If Plaxton's went to Coventry then couldn't some of CV's Tridents go to BC to replace some of BC's Plaxtons even if AG take some Plaxton's from BC in replace for SOME gemini's if that's possible. I don't think there is enough Enviro400's at WA because you got 935 that's also Envrio400 operated,

Were are the EX 977 gemini's placed now that the 935/997/51/X51 have gone eviro operated and the 529 is at WN ?. Couldn't WA take some of BC Plaxtons ??

A Plaxton Never operated Garage is YW/WN/CV, so it would be nice to see some Plaxtons go to YW/WN as both these garages hardly have ay routes into Birmingham City Centre YW has service 2/3/6 Were as WN only have 126 so i think both garages would be good to be taken into consideration when placing Plaxtons at other garges

PB - wouldnt benift from them becuase all there routes operate to Birmingham except service 71A which some Plaxtons could be placed on then there Tridents could go to BC if thats possible ??

WA - Would benift from them as they could be placed on routes 69/89/40/41 ETC

Not many people will agree with this but its only an OPION REMEMBER
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

MW

Yardley Wood had Presidents from new for the 6 actually. I believe they were replaced in 2002 by new Tridents.

Stu

Don't forget, if you're transferring buses between NX Coventry and NX West Midlands, thats a whole lot of repainting to be done!
My locals:

Nathan4775

Quote from: Michael on April 24, 2012, 01:55:40 PM
Yardley Wood had Presidents from new for the 6 actually. I believe they were replaced in 2002 by new Tridents.

Did they, I dont remeber ?

Quote from: Stu on April 24, 2012, 07:34:11 PM
Don't forget, if you're transferring buses between NX Coventry and NX West Midlands, thats a whole lot of repainting to be done!

Well I didnt think of that, But then saying that it all depends on how many would transfer to NX coventry, Does it cost NXWM any money to Re-paint buses
My Flickr;

Stu

QuoteDoes it cost NXWM any money to Re-paint buses

I don't think so, paint is free, and a team of volunteers do the painting.  ::)

(yes, it does cost time and money to repaint buses)
My locals:

Tony

Yes the cost of repainting a bus is over £1000 (by quite a bit depending on how many panels need replacing)

Nathan4775

Quote from: Stu on April 24, 2012, 07:45:34 PM
QuoteDoes it cost NXWM any money to Re-paint buses

I don't think so, paint is free, and a team of volunteers do the painting.  ::)

(yes, it does cost time and money to repaint buses)

Fair enough & isnt the Paint Shop held at WA

Quote from: Tony on April 24, 2012, 07:47:56 PM
Yes the cost of repainting a bus is over £1000 (by quite a bit depending on how many panels need replacing)

Why so much to re-paint a bus
My Flickr;

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk