News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Service Changes from 27th April

Started by winston, March 05, 2014, 10:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filbus1

Quote from: Liverpool Street on May 02, 2014, 02:20:24 PM
Quote from: Stevo on May 01, 2014, 05:42:54 PM
Looking at the new Network map I was tracing the 49 from Solihull and glanced up the map to see that the 49 terminates in Bearwood bus station. Similarly, tracing the 61 from the Bristol Road there again is 61 at Bearwood. It's absurd that a map shows two entirely separate routes with the same number. There may be others.

Is there a 49 & 61 that goes to Bearwood?
Yes:-
Central buses 61 Bearwood to Perry Barr
NXWM 49 Bearwood to West Bromwich

Busmapper

Quote from: Stu on April 08, 2014, 06:45:06 PM
The route info for the new 1 service looks wrong.
The page says that it will serve the new development in Shirley, but the map and route state that it terminates and begins from the Tesco in Hall Green!

Also disappointing to see that both the 1 and 31 are actually seeing decreases in frequency.

Quote from: Stu on April 28, 2014, 06:17:16 PM
Despite being publicised as being 'extended to Shirley', the display of the new extended 1 journeys shows 'Hall Green' with 'Haslucks Green Road' on the lower line, before alternating between the via points!

I see that the bus stop flags and timetable boards on the ground indicate the first/last stop as Hall Green boundary (just before Tesco). But even if 1 journeys are also serving the Sandy Hill Lane stop this is still some way from the new Haslucks Green Road island (and hence Shirley shops) [ref: netwmtravelmap.com]. For all the publicity about service 1 serving Shirley it doesn't really in reality.

I recall a time when minibuses from Solihull turned at the Jacey Road island just off Stratford Road. Perhaps some of this space could be used to create a proper layby just off the main road for terminating service 1 (and 31E evening journeys and 3E sunday journeys). The new right turn arrangement out of Jacey Road also looks tight for a bus but this could easily be widened.

Or alternatively Stanway Road a bit further down and a layover here?

On a different matter I noticed service 50 has been added to stop flags and timetable boards outside YW garage and on Glenavon Road thanks to one GTC bus a day diverting off Alcester Road for some reason.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Busmapper on May 04, 2014, 01:26:08 PM
I see that the bus stop flags and timetable boards on the ground indicate the first/last stop as Hall Green boundary (just before Tesco). But even if 1 journeys are also serving the Sandy Hill Lane stop this is still some way from the new Haslucks Green Road island (and hence Shirley shops) [ref: netwmtravelmap.com]. For all the publicity about service 1 serving Shirley it doesn't really in reality.

I recall a time when minibuses from Solihull turned at the Jacey Road island just off Stratford Road. Perhaps some of this space could be used to create a proper layby just off the main road for terminating service 1 (and 31E evening journeys and 3E sunday journeys). The new right turn arrangement out of Jacey Road also looks tight for a bus but this could easily be widened.

Or alternatively Stanway Road a bit further down and a layover here?

I agree that a layover point in Shirley would be highly desirable for the 1, 3E and 31E.  I wonder if NX and/or Network West Midlands are on the case?

Unfortunately I cannot see Stacey Road or Stanway Road being used, partly because the layover point would be outside rather nice houses and partly because of awkward right turns onto Stratford Road.  There was in fact a peak hour double deck Midland Red (and later WMPTE) service that used Stanway Road, but that was eventually diverted  along Solihull Road instead.

There is an apparently temporary long stay car park on Haslucks Green Road, which was created for all-day parking by shop and office workers when a large car park was closed to make room for the new development that opens shortly.  It is not clear what the future for that car park is.  I wonder if some of that could be used as a terminal (or just layover) point?

Stu

The current terminus points for the 1, 3E and 31E are very convenient for NXWM, as they can all use the new Haslucks Green Island to turn around and start their return journey.

However it seems the big problem is that this is not very convenient for passengers, who were expecting better links to Shirley and the Parkgate development, as all these services stop someway short of Shirley itself!

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stu

I was in Shirley yesterday, and couldn't help but notice that the Burger King, next to Renault Solihull, has closed down, and the site is up for grabs (for development).

There's probably just enough land there for some kind of small bus terminus; put a break in the median, and lose a couple of parking spaces, signpost it "Buses only, no u-turn" or something like that. Maybe even have a handful of parking spaces in the terminus, or even a cycle hub?
My locals:

Matt.N0056

Bus Stops in Acocks Green have been changed, the timetables for 1/31 removed from AJ although  1/31 put on the flag with ring and ride removed. AH now only 37/40

EDIT: the first 31 I see used AH!

Stu

Quote from: Matt.N0056 on May 06, 2014, 12:54:58 PM
Bus Stops in Acocks Green have been changed, the timetables for 1/31 removed from AJ although  1/31 put on the flag with ring and ride removed. AH now only 37/40

I think you meant 36 & 40 at stand AH!  ;)

Yes I was pleased to see that it has all been somewhat resolved in the village now, stand AL now shows 1 on the flag and the timetable poster has been replaced and shows the 1 timetable also.

However, it is annoying that NWM/Centro still can't get it quite right; as you say, they've replaced the flag on stand AJ, so it now correctly shows the 1 and 31 towards Shirley/Solihull, but they've removed the timetable poster that had been put in previously, which did correctly have the 1 and 31 timetables on!  :-\
My locals:

Matt.N0056

Quote from: Stu on May 06, 2014, 06:22:51 PM
Quote from: Matt.N0056 on May 06, 2014, 12:54:58 PM

I think you meant 36 & 40 at stand AH!  ;)

Yes I was pleased to see that it has all been somewhat resolved in the village now, stand AL now shows 1 on the flag and the timetable poster has been replaced and shows the 1 timetable also.

However, it is annoying that NWM/Centro still can't get it quite right; as you say, they've replaced the flag on stand AJ, so it now correctly shows the 1 and 31 towards Shirley/Solihull, but they've removed the timetable poster that had been put in previously, which did correctly have the 1 and 31 timetables on!  :-\

I did yes!

I did pop in to AG garage to see what was happening with which stops the buses were meat to be stopping at - passengers not very happy as they didn't know where to stand - but all I was told was to contact Centro!

Stu

Unfortunately yes, the stops are the responsibility of Centro / Network West Midlands, and not the bus operators, but I think things haven't helped over the last week and a bit with the bus operators not knowing which stops they should be using, and just using stops that 'have the number on the flag'.

For example on Sunday, I was waiting at stand AH to catch the 31 to get to Shirley, when a 1E pulled up, displaying Broad Street as its destination. The driver unloaded his passengers, and then people started getting on, and then got off, presumably as they thought he was going to Shirley! (although the 1 doesn't go there on Sunday) Meanwhile a 31 was pulled up behind, trying to get onto the stand, thus blocking Shirley Road for all other traffic coming off Warwick Road!

Last Sunday, the 31 drivers were refusing to use stand AJ because 'it says Ring-and-Ride on the flag' although the shelter had 1 & 31 timetables inside!

Hopefully the confusion should go away, but I'll be looking to see whether drivers use the correct stops next weekend.
My locals:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk