News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Service Changes from 27th April

Started by winston, March 05, 2014, 10:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc

Just found this on NXWM's site: http://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/information/service-changes/south-birmingham-service-changes-27th-april

I didn't expect the 1/31 changes but suprised there isn't more changes on the Bristol Road/98/99!

Liverpool Street

Having looked at the route of the 45, it will be going all the way up to the top of Groveley Lane, and not just turning left at Low Hill. Fair enough!

Time table wise, in comparison, it all seems smack on. Glad they're finally given those extra two minutes from Cofton to Moorpark as drivers can now do the speed limit!

Bristol Road times are near perfect in my experience and shouldn't be any issues there. Even the Sundays and late nights from past happenings seems to be smack on! I tip my hat to you.

Still not worth being left in the dark for this long, mind.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

gc802002

Quote from: Matt.N0056 on April 08, 2014, 08:31:17 PM
Quote from: trident4370 on April 08, 2014, 08:18:51 PM
Having had a proper look at the changes now, it's nice to see an earlier Sunday 35 journey has been added, although I wonder if this was influenced more by Simon's promise to look into it, in the old "Questions to NX Director" as opposed to directly from the review itself.... Shame to see many missed opportunities with the 2/3 and 76 but at least the chosen changes are improvements nonetheless. I'm also glad the 45 will see a frequency boost as in my experience it is just as well used as the 47. The only thing baffling me is why they chose to extend the 1 to Shirley, apart from 3 replacement in Gospel Oak, I can't see the point of that at all but that's just my opinion. I'm also a bit confused as to why the 5 is now terminating in Solihull Town Centre when it has a generous 10 minute layover in the station as it is, surely there can't be much more time to be gained.

Solihull Town Centre could prove to be very interesting, with the increase of the 31, 5 being terminated in the Town Centre as well as the 30 laying over there!

Looking at the 5 & 31 timetable, they both seem to have 13/14 mins layover during the day? if i've worked it out right - which I probaly haven't! - things are going to be even worse in the Town Centre!

Is it possible the 5 and 31 will interwork?

Matt.N0056

Quote from: gc802002 on April 08, 2014, 10:03:54 PM
Having had a proper look at the changes now, it's nice to see an earlier Sunday 35 journey has been added, although I wonder if this was influenced more by Simon's promise to look into it, in the old "Questions to NX Director" as opposed to directly from the review itself.... Shame to see many missed opportunities with the 2/3 and 76 but at least the chosen changes are improvements nonetheless. I'm also glad the 45 will see a frequency boost as in my experience it is just as well used as the 47. The only thing baffling me is why they chose to extend the 1 to Shirley, apart from 3 replacement in Gospel Oak, I can't see the point of that at all but that's just my opinion. I'm also a bit confused as to why the 5 is now terminating in Solihull Town Centre when it has a generous 10 minute layover in the station as it is, surely there can't be much more time to be gained.

Solihull Town Centre could prove to be very interesting, with the increase of the 31, 5 being terminated in the Town Centre as well as the 30 laying over there!

Looking at the 5 & 31 timetable, they both seem to have 13/14 mins layover during the day? if i've worked it out right - which I probaly haven't! - things are going to be even worse in the Town Centre!

Thats what I was thinking but theres only 1 or 2 minutes difference in their arrival/departure times

sonic84

I'm quite surprised at the 49 being reduced to every 15 mins between Cotteridge and Solihull. That was something I didn't expect.

Also, I am surprised that the X64 is serving Kitwell. Think this is a good idea however, and fingers crossed this new route will have see improved passengers on this route.

I am disappointed that the 29 has been reduced to hourly on a Sunday. Although the 29A has been introduced, the 29 always seemed to be quite busy along swarthmore road, and if anything I was hoping that the 29 / 29A frequency on a Saturday would be increased to match the weekday offering.

I am quite concerned with reliability on the 29 route with the extension to Frankley now. I'm not sure a direct link between Frankley and Weoley Castle is needed. Before the 20 back in 2009, this link never existed, but time will tell.  If the 29 was to serve Rubery I could see the attraction, but the 29 and 29A are not direct routes to the city alternatives exist.

:D

On NXWM bus changes page, it says they have added an extra buses to handful routes to improve reliability, where did this "extra" buses come from?

trident4370

Quote from: gc802002 on April 08, 2014, 10:03:54 PM

Based on the new timetables, the 5 will depart Solihull 2 minutes before the 31, so that would reduce layover for buses from 14 to 12 minutes. Possible they will interwork but I can't see much point for the sake of 2 minutes, they are also timetabled to Arrive into Solihull 1 minute apart from each other... The logic behind the change, from first impressions at least, doesn't seem to make any sense, all it will do is cause more blocked bus stands in Solihull. Could always be a possibility a last minute bus stop change is coming in Solihull, to maybe free up a stand specifically for bus layovers but I doubt that as there would be 2 buses needing it at the same time during daytimes.
Change for the sake of change?

spudnick

I have to agree terminating the 5 in the Town Centre seems a bit silly, often see it pick up a couple of passengers in the station and having buses terminate in the town means the driver is having to take his drop off either blocking off stops or parked illegally on the double yellows on Station Road, also if the 31 stop stays the same it already causes enough problems on a half hourly frequency, when there is a 37 also at the stop the 6/49/76 often has to offload in the middle of the road blocking traffic and is dangerous especially for the older folk, wheelchairs and buggies.

Also in the day the 1 seems to have a 17 minute drop back at Tesco, it kind of defeats the point of the red route if you have a bus pretty much blocking one lane most of the time not to mention this is also the 6 relief point and at times can get congested with drivers changing over and other buses having to squeeze past the parked bus, surely a more sensible solution would have been to terminate at the first stop on Haslucks Green Road which better serves the new shopping centre and return to Robin Hood via Haslucks Green Road, Newborough Road and Baldwins Lane.

Also anyone else see the logic of the having the last two 49's from Solihull on a weekday terminate at Cotteridge (as they do now) but oddly continue to Northfield on a Sunday?

Mike K

Looking at the new timetables I'm wondering whether the 24 and 29/29A will inter work evenings and Sundays. Otherwise, the arrival and departure times for Colmore Row don't seem to work. If they will inter work it will give a 5 min layover time in the city centre, the same as the 22 and 23 will get on the new timetable.

Will BC need some additional buses with the extensions to the 45 and 29/A and 'extra buses' to aid reliability on some routes?

Trident 4609

Quote from: Mike K on April 09, 2014, 10:56:32 AM
Looking at the new timetables I'm wondering whether the 24 and 29/29A will inter work evenings and Sundays. Otherwise, the arrival and departure times for Colmore Row don't seem to work. If they will inter work it will give a 5 min layover time in the city centre, the same as the 22 and 23 will get on the new timetable.

Will BC need some additional buses with the extensions to the 45 and 29/A and 'extra buses' to aid reliability on some routes?

Will interorking of evening/Sundays 29/A's mean the the Sunday 29 will become double decker operated or will the Sunday 24 become B7RLE operated instead of hybrid operation?

Mike K

Quote from: Nathan on April 09, 2014, 03:04:19 PM
Quote from: Mike K on April 09, 2014, 10:56:32 AM

Will interorking of evening/Sundays 29/A's mean the the Sunday 29 will become double decker operated or will the Sunday 24 become B7RLE operated instead of hybrid operation?

Don't hold me to it Nathan, I'm not sure they will inter work, it's just my thoughts from looking at the new timetables. I'll wait for an 'in the know' to confirm. But the same question you raised crossed my mind. I'd guess the 24 might use B7RLEs.

Trident 4609

Does the 24 require Double Deckers on a Sunday?

Stu

Quote from: spudnick on April 09, 2014, 10:41:47 AM
Also in the day the 1 seems to have a 17 minute drop back at Tesco, it kind of defeats the point of the red route if you have a bus pretty much blocking one lane most of the time not to mention this is also the 6 relief point and at times can get congested with drivers changing over and other buses having to squeeze past the parked bus, surely a more sensible solution would have been to terminate at the first stop on Haslucks Green Road which better serves the new shopping centre and return to Robin Hood via Haslucks Green Road, Newborough Road and Baldwins Lane.

I don't see why the 1 couldn't terminate at Shirley station, at least it has somewhere out the way to layover, and would actually serve the Parkgate centre directly.

Also, it's been pointed out to me on my Facebook page that Network West Midlands have removed the 'review page' from their website!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Sayeed

Quote from: Mike K on April 09, 2014, 04:10:54 PM
I'm not sure they will inter work, it's just my thoughts from looking at the new timetables. I'll wait for an 'in the know' to confirm. But the same question you raised crossed my mind. I'd guess the 24 might use B7RLEs.
I really hope not, you should check out the loadings on Sundays, sir!
Век живи - век учись

Mike K

Quote from: Nathan on April 09, 2014, 05:43:28 PM
Does the 24 require Double Deckers on a Sunday?

I tend to see them around the Court Oak pub and by there loadings are quite light. The Harborne to City section can get busy but alternate Hybrid DDs on the 22/23 and B7RLEs on the 24/29 would cope I would imagine. All speculation of course.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk