News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Hydrogen vehicles

Started by Tony, April 30, 2021, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PB50

Quote from: Tony on May 30, 2024, 10:51:26 AMH1006 currently on the way to Tyseley for fuel
I take it these will be back in service from Monday once the kids are back at school. Any ideas on how many they planning on using in a day?

Tony

Quote from: PB50 on May 30, 2024, 07:28:48 PMI take it these will be back in service from Monday once the kids are back at school. Any ideas on how many they planning on using in a day?
Because the refuelling isn't into the running board again yet they will only be used if needed

PB50

Quote from: Tony on May 30, 2024, 07:31:36 PMBecause the refuelling isn't into the running board again yet they will only be used if needed
Thanks for that information Tony.

Wba_lad

Sorry if this is a stupid question but can the hydrogen buses be used on anything as long as it's suitable like 4s can't due to Sandwell and Dudley bridge, but could they do like the 29 not like you would want to put them on there with vandalism. Or brownhills rota. 

Gareth

Quote from: Tony on May 30, 2024, 07:31:36 PMBecause the refuelling isn't into the running board again yet they will only be used if needed
With a diesel bus when it's refuelled the tank will stay full until it's used, is that the same with hydrogen buses or does hydrogen deplete if not used? And does the hydrogen actually power the bus like diesel does with an engine or is it more to power a battery/cell?

Jack

Quote from: Wba_lad on May 30, 2024, 11:11:10 PMSorry if this is a stupid question but can the hydrogen buses be used on anything as long as it's suitable like 4s can't due to Sandwell and Dudley bridge, but could they do like the 29 not like you would want to put them on there with vandalism. Or brownhills rota.
They are funded by Birmingham City Council, so they have should be used on the Birmingham services...

Tony

Quote from: Gareth on May 30, 2024, 11:36:31 PMWith a diesel bus when it's refuelled the tank will stay full until it's used, is that the same with hydrogen buses or does hydrogen deplete if not used? And does the hydrogen actually power the bus like diesel does with an engine or is it more to power a battery/cell?
There's virtually no loss while they are not used.

The buses work exactly the same way as a battery electric but the batteries are charged while in use through generation by a fuel cell

Stu

Quote from: Tony on May 31, 2024, 05:59:58 AMThe buses work exactly the same way as a battery electric but the batteries are charged while in use through generation by a fuel cell

Yes, Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV) is the correct technical description for these hydrogen buses.

As opposed to Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV) such as the Electroliner and ADL Enviro400EV.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

H1013 is another now fuelled and available when required. Two a day next week will be done, but probably not used

the trainbasher

QuoteThey are funded by Birmingham City Council, so they have should be used on the Birmingham services...
So technically, as the 6 and 77 go into Sutton, which is a BCC area, they can be used on there?

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Jack

Quote from: the trainbasher on May 31, 2024, 05:29:07 PMSo technically, as the 6 and 77 go into Sutton, which is a BCC area, they can be used on there?
Do they serve Birmingham City Centre? No.

They was purchased for the 51, if they was seen to be on Walsall locals and others service that don't service the City Centre I'm sure that wouldn't be going down too well.

the trainbasher

QuoteDo they serve Birmingham City Centre? No.

They was purchased for the 51, if they was seen to be on Walsall locals and others service that don't service the City Centre I'm sure that wouldn't be going down too well.
They serve the Birmingham City Council area (Sutton, despite many folks forgetting, is a Birmingham City Council ran town, same with Erdington), and BCC funded them, (and isn't there a 77 board which has a X15 on it?).

Not everything revolves around Birmingham centre you know!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Jack

Quote from: the trainbasher on May 31, 2024, 06:19:16 PMThey serve the Birmingham City Council area (Sutton, despite many folks forgetting, is a Birmingham City Council ran town, same with Erdington), and BCC funded them, (and isn't there a 77 board which has a X15 on it?).

Not everything revolves around Birmingham centre you know!
The 77 is a single decker service which has a board on the X15. It's a 10 board that does the 6 then X15. And I'm certainly sure NX don't want them being trashed by the youths on the 10?!

Also they are refuelled at Tyseley during their daytime boards, are you expecting one to trot from Brownhills to Tyseley to refuel? That would be a lot of dead mileage.

Celestial Toymaker

personally i would like to see at least 1 Electric & 1 Hydrogen do a stint on the Outer Circle (Just Saying) my opinion doesn't matter anyway, wouldn't be hard to put 1 electric on there, i know AG can't charge them but maybe as PB used to have them 1 board could go temporarily to PB to run it ? :police:
3000 F300 XOF

like 3000 I do not exist anymore........ worth nothing as scrap either

Mayfield

Quote from: Tony on May 31, 2024, 10:04:19 AMH1013 is another now fuelled and available when required. Two a day next week will be done, but probably not used
Am I missing something here, these have not been used for the best part of 6 months, they are now being prepared for service still with no plans to use them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk