News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Stagecoach in Birmingham

Started by monkeyjoe, December 08, 2022, 10:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metrocity

Quote from: Stu on January 22, 2023, 08:23:51 PMLast Saturday, I observed a 169 passing through Billesley which showed "Sainsburys" and "via Solihull Town Centre" on the lower line. Which I thought was a bit unhelpful, which Sainsburys? (there are stores also in Kings Heath and Maypole!)

Yesterday, the one I spotted on Westridge Road did actually show 'Shirley Sainsburys'.

On both occasions, the buses were empty!

Same with a lot of the other BSIP funded services which seem to be carrying fresh air now but did have reasonable usage in their previous guises prior to the route changes 

Sandy Lane

Quote from: metrocity on January 22, 2023, 08:36:07 PMSame with a lot of the other BSIP funded services which seem to be carrying fresh air now but did have reasonable usage in their previous guises prior to the route changes
Times are very hard for lots of people.
Ticket interchangeability could be putting people off? Journeys may be costing more money if you need to use both operators?
Maybe NXWM £4 daysaver would have been better value when they ran all the routes?
Did TfWM consider this for both Birmingham and Coventry (the 60 taking over some of the 3 route)?

Stu

Quote from: Sandy Lane on January 22, 2023, 09:16:11 PMTimes are very hard for lots of people.
Ticket interchangeability could be putting people off? Journeys may be costing more money if you need to use both operators?
Maybe NXWM £4 daysaver would have been better value when they ran all the routes?
Did TfWM consider this for both Birmingham and Coventry (the 60 taking over some of the 3 route)?
It's possible, but an nBus day ticket costs £4.20, so only 20p more than an NX Daysaver.

Where TfWM have shot themselves in the foot is their failure to actively promote their Swift Go product more.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

BrumKev86

The local councillor for the Lyndon Ward of Solihull Council contacted TFWM last week about the A9 service and this was TFWM response:

QuoteA9 Bus Service

I finally got a reply from TfWM (Transport for West Midlands), regarding the reliability issues. I am still outstanding a response with regards to the S16 changes.

"I am sorry to hear of residents concerns about this route and apologise for the inconvenience.
We are aware of the performance of the A9 service last week, which has not met the high standards that customers rightly expect.  TfWM are closely monitoring the situation daily and are actively working with Stagecoach to stabilise this service to ensure that residents can rely upon the service provided.
Unfortunately, the issues experienced are related to driver availability which is a problem to varying degrees across much of the bus industry.  Additional drivers are being recruited and we are expecting to see a significant improvement going forward.

Grew up in Great Barr, now living in North Somerset

metrocity

Quote from: Stu on January 22, 2023, 09:41:14 PMIt's possible, but an nBus day ticket costs £4.20, so only 20p more than an NX Daysaver.

Where TfWM have shot themselves in the foot is their failure to actively promote their Swift Go product more.

Swift Go would have been innovative 15 years ago. Customers expect capping on contactless bank card across all operators, instead ironically customers can easily get over charged rather than getting best value if using more than one operator. Sadly this desired milestone is now incredibly difficult to achieve due to TfWM allowing operators to procure different types of ticket machines!

Stu

Quote from: metrocity on January 22, 2023, 09:59:14 PMSwift Go would have been innovative 15 years ago. Customers expect capping on contactless bank card across all operators, instead ironically customers can easily get over charged rather than getting best value if using more than one operator. Sadly this desired milestone is now incredibly difficult to achieve due to TfWM allowing operators to procure different types of ticket machines!
I agree, this system is a bit 'outdated' compared to Oyster in London.

But still, TfWM have spent a fair bit developing it, and launching it in 2020 before 'capping' was introduced in 2021.

Despite the initial promotion, there was not much said about it since then.

And you're right, the current situation has come about as TfWM allowed operators to use different on-bus ticketing systems.

But I still think that money would be better spent on promoting Swift Go, rather than the millions set to be spent on developing a whole new system for bank cards, which then ultimately makes Swift Go a complete waste of taxpayers money.

https://wmbu.org.uk/2023/01/opinion-risk-of-passengers-being-overcharged-when-using-contactless-but-theres-already-a-solution/

My locals:

Secondary trigger 28

Quote#Birmingham#Solihull Unfortunately due to a mechanical issue, the  service is running late and the following will not run today.
#A9 - 07.26 Kinghurst - Blythe Valley
Apologies for any inconvenience caused

5 minutes before the bus was due they tell me its not running

the trainbasher

QuoteThe local councillor for the Lyndon Ward of Solihull Council contacted TFWM last week about the A9 service and this was TFWM response:
That's a quicker response than what one of the Brierley Hill cllrs got about the 25 service!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Secondary trigger 28

Quite a few of stagecoch services not running for some reason because of a mechanical issue 

Danthebusman

Quote from: HARVEYCLLEE on January 23, 2023, 10:20:11 AMQuite a few of stagecoch services not running for some reason because of a mechanical issue 
When it's not the drivers letting them down, it's their own buses!

GoldenSquid

Quote from: Stu on January 22, 2023, 08:23:51 PMLast Saturday, I observed a 169 passing through Billesley which showed "Sainsburys" and "via Solihull Town Centre" on the lower line. Which I thought was a bit unhelpful, which Sainsburys? (there are stores also in Kings Heath and Maypole!)

Yesterday, the one I spotted on Westridge Road did actually show 'Shirley Sainsburys'.

On both occasions, the buses were empty!

I've noticed a lot of 169s being empty, especially in the evening. I am not sure why the service runs to 6PM, when the 69 used to finish around 2PM.

I think a lot of customers are being put off these new routes as the bus stops have still not been updated. I noticed that the stops near Lea Hall/Kits Green LIDL, have had the timetables updated for the 72/97 and had the 58 removed but they didn't add the A9 onto it.
Local Routes: 14/71/72/94/95/96/97/X12/X13

metrocity

Quote from: GoldenSquid on January 23, 2023, 11:39:16 PMI've noticed a lot of 169s being empty, especially in the evening. I am not sure why the service runs to 6PM, when the 69 used to finish around 2PM.

I think a lot of customers are being put off these new routes as the bus stops have still not been updated. I noticed that the stops near Lea Hall/Kits Green LIDL, have had the timetables updated for the 72/97 and had the 58 removed but they didn't add the A9 onto it.
The later journeys have been introduced because TFWM have used the BSIP funds for this tender. Therefore there has to be an improvement of some sort on the previous contract. Same reason why A9, 142, 96 etc have all seen enhanced operating hours and / or days 

Sandy Lane

Hope it stays this way with some good news from SC Twit feed -

all birmingham services as of now are all running, enjoy your day

Tony

QuoteHope it stays this way with some good news from SC Twit feed -

all birmingham services as of now are all running, enjoy your day
They must have two buses that don't track on the A9. I know one has ben reported a couple of time, must be a second that doesn't as well

Stu

Quote from: Tony on January 24, 2023, 11:00:31 AMThey must have two buses that don't track on the A9. I know one has ben reported a couple of time, must be a second that doesn't as well
36484 is recorded as operating journeys but isn't providing location data:
https://bustimes.org/services/a9-kinghurst-blyth-valley-park/vehicles
My locals:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk