News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Stagecoach in Birmingham

Started by monkeyjoe, December 08, 2022, 10:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellspurs

Stick some double yellow lines on the junction and send them right up Abbots Road to Vicarage Road. 46 goes left, 169 goes right. As a bonus it'll annoy that person complaining about traffic on Vicarage Road some more!

I'm pretty sure the 27/35 used to do that in the past, as I remember catching the bus from All Saints' Road with my nan to Pineapple Road, and we were only on it for a few stops. Would've took a lot longer if it went the other way.

Mike K

Quote from: Stu on February 12, 2023, 05:19:11 PMWhere do they go from there though? Thanks to the LTN, there's no access at the other end onto Howard Road.
Turn right onto Abbots Road and the left to rejoin Vicarage Road. That's what the 27 and the old 2 (replaced by the 69) used to do, although they crossed Vicarage Road onto Avenue Road.

SO6597

Quote from: Stu on February 12, 2023, 05:19:11 PMWhere do they go from there though? Thanks to the LTN, there's no access at the other end onto Howard Road.
Buses using All Saints Road would turn right onto Abbots Rd which is not LTN'd. 

I think a far better alternative to sending 46s in the direction of Queensbridge Rd (if All Saints Rd isn't an option) would be to go the other way and use the Alcester Lanes End turning circle as the 27 did for a while back in 2009/2010ish (5 mins away with most of the return journey back to Kings Heath being bus lanes).

Justin Tyme

Quote from: ellspurs on February 12, 2023, 05:28:31 PMStick some double yellow lines on the junction and send them right up Abbots Road to Vicarage Road. 46 goes left, 169 goes right. As a bonus it'll annoy that person complaining about traffic on Vicarage Road some more!

I'm pretty sure the 27/35 used to do that in the past, as I remember catching the bus from All Saints' Road with my nan to Pineapple Road, and we were only on it for a few stops. Would've took a lot longer if it went the other way.

Your memory is correct - the 27 and 35, along with the 2, did turn right from All Saints Road into Abbots Road to reach Vicarage Road or Avenue Road.  Short workings to Kings Heath on the 50 (and 48, along with the peak hour 49) used to turn using All Saints Road, left into Abbots Road and left into Howard Road (terminus), afterwards.  This route was also followed by Kings Heath - Maypole - Solihull services in the 1970s and 80s.

IF I remember correctly, I think pressure from residents brought an end to buses using All Saints Road.  If so, I doubt they would be able to return.

BrumKev86

Seems Stagecoach have alot of mechanical issues with their buses. Quite a few journeys cancelled today on 41/46 and a few on the A9 mainly for that but a couple it seems for no drivers. How long are TFWM gonna let this carry on for?
Grew up in Great Barr, now living in North Somerset

ellspurs

Have they got the Chaserider bug, or is "mechanical failure" code for something else?

Stu

Quote from: BrumKev86 on February 22, 2023, 04:27:45 PMSeems Stagecoach have alot of mechanical issues with their buses. Quite a few journeys cancelled today on 41/46 and a few on the A9 mainly for that but a couple it seems for no drivers. How long are TFWM gonna let this carry on for?
Lets just say that TfWM are 'aware' and are 'monitoring' the situation closely.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

BrumKev86

Quote from: Stu on February 22, 2023, 07:03:31 PMLets just say that TfWM are 'aware' and are 'monitoring' the situation closely.
I appreciate TFWM coming out with that but we need a much stronger response. Stagecoach need to be given a time frame by if there is no reasonable improvement then the routes go back out to tender. We heard about the driver shortage but today there have been so many mechanical issues. So it's not just lack of drivers, it's failings with/within their vehicles or depots. I got the A9 this evening from Solihull and there were about 15 of us aboard which I thought was good but you have to ask if this persists will there be less and less passengers.

It's not just these new areas of Solihull and Birmingham, they were talking about Stagecoach on BBC CWR the other week in relation to Leamington. Lots of services getting cancelled, they talked about the X17. If they can't get Leamington right then what a hope in hell is there for new areas.
Grew up in Great Barr, now living in North Somerset

BBS

QuoteI appreciate TFWM coming out with that but we need a much stronger response. Stagecoach need to be given a time frame by if there is no reasonable improvement then the routes go back out to tender. We heard about the driver shortage but today there have been so many mechanical issues. So it's not just lack of drivers, it's failings with/within their vehicles or depots. I got the A9 this evening from Solihull and there were about 15 of us aboard which I thought was good but you have to ask if this persists will there be less and less passengers.

It's not just these new areas of Solihull and Birmingham, they were talking about Stagecoach on BBC CWR the other week in relation to Leamington. Lots of services getting cancelled, they talked about the X17. If they can't get Leamington right then what a hope in hell is there for new areas.
If Leamington isn't getting it right then how will Rugby get it right
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Ginger66

Quote from: BrumKev86 on February 22, 2023, 09:18:46 PMI appreciate TFWM coming out with that but we need a much stronger response. Stagecoach need to be given a time frame by if there is no reasonable improvement then the routes go back out to tender. We heard about the driver shortage but today there have been so many mechanical issues. So it's not just lack of drivers, it's failings with/within their vehicles or depots. I got the A9 this evening from Solihull and there were about 15 of us aboard which I thought was good but you have to ask if this persists will there be less and less passengers.

There are several reasons for poor service
1) Vehicles breakdown so if the original bus breakdown in Brum, it's going to take an hour for a replacement bus to get Brum so services can continue, like wise it could take the same time for maintenance to get over to Brum and added time to fix bus.

2) Staff sickness,  so first driver of the day could be off sick, and it could take a little extra time to get replacement driver so first two trips could be missed. 

Coventrybususer95

Would it not be easier to transfer the routes to Nuneaton from rugby as it would be less dead mileage
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

Rachvince53

Quote from: Coventrybususer95 on February 23, 2023, 07:53:05 PMWould it not be easier to transfer the routes to Nuneaton from rugby as it would be less dead mileage
It's possibly that Nuneaton doesn't have the drivers to spare and Rugby does. 

Stu

Quote from: Coventrybususer95 on February 23, 2023, 07:53:05 PMWould it not be easier to transfer the routes to Nuneaton from rugby as it would be less dead mileage
The plan is to transfer the routes to a new depot/outstation in Birmingham, I don't know how far away they are from achieving this ambition, but they are running out of time to get these services operating satisfactorily.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Straightlines

Quote from: BrumKev86 on February 22, 2023, 09:18:46 PMI appreciate TFWM coming out with that but we need a much stronger response. Stagecoach need to be given a time frame by if there is no reasonable improvement then the routes go back out to tender. We heard about the driver shortage but today there have been so many mechanical issues. So it's not just lack of drivers, it's failings with/within their vehicles or depots. I got the A9 this evening from Solihull and there were about 15 of us aboard which I thought was good but you have to ask if this persists will there be less and less passengers.

What response do you expect?

The larger operator in the TfWM area has been no better of late!

BBS

QuoteThe plan is to transfer the routes to a new depot/outstation in Birmingham, I don't know how far away they are from achieving this ambition, but they are running out of time to get these services operating satisfactorily.
I believe they will try to keep using rugbys buses for Birmingham, however use a depot in Birmingham and move the drivers / buses & engineers to the new depot 
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk