News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Whittles

Started by Tomjusttom, October 23, 2012, 09:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midlandred2003

Not surprised thought it would happen like this, shame to lose an established company like whittles.

Cedric

this is more than likely just coinsdense   Harding's are advertising  the various services they do  in the local Kidderminster paper which I have never seen on before . and the first time for a  long while woodstones have as well.
diamond 8\10/125/292

winston

Quote from: Ced on October 23, 2014, 12:56:44 PM
this is more than likely just coinsdense   Harding's are advertising  the various services they do  in the local Kidderminster paper which I have never seen on before . and the first time for a  long while woodstones have as well.

Possibly not a coincidence, no doubt the vultures are waiting to pounce on the coach side as well......

PM

Maybe showing that openly announcing a business is up for sale is never a good idea?

winston

Quote from: DiamondDart on October 23, 2014, 04:03:22 PM
Maybe showing that openly announcing a business is up for sale is never a good idea?

It's suicide.... they should have approached other interested parties and kept it all confidential/even with staff until such time that they had a firm offer on the table or had decided the only option was closure. Who's going to want to buy anything now? They may as well wait for it to all come crashing down and pick up the pieces they want for free or a token amount.

PM

Quote from: Winston on October 23, 2014, 04:11:37 PM

It's suicide.... they should have approached other interested parties and kept it all confidential/even with staff until such time that they had a firm offer on the table or had decided the only option was closure. Who's going to want to buy anything now? They may as well wait for it to all come crashing down and pick up the pieces they want for free or a token amount.

Especially when you admit it will shut if there's no sale! Who's going to push for a sale now when they can just sit back and wait or recruit their staff?!

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: DiamondDart on October 23, 2014, 04:20:27 PM

Especially when you admit it will shut if there's no sale! Who's going to push for a sale now when they can just sit back and wait or recruit their staff?!

Alternately, you can sell your assets (property / vehicles etc) & minimise exposure to redundancy payments. Not such a bad move after all.

PM

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on October 23, 2014, 07:30:10 PM

Alternately, you can sell your assets (property / vehicles etc) & minimise exposure to redundancy payments. Not such a bad move after all.

The depot is leased but I guess the modern vehicles would be welcome at any EYMS depot...

winston

Dave, I see where you're coming from, but other than it's fleet, Whittle's doesn't appear to have many assets other than it's fleet, order book, name & goodwill and we don't actually what liabilities they have. The 6 x Levante's will no doubt be on operating leases, as with the Finglands sale, EYMS may prefer to retain the fleet to update its own, they may well opt to do the same with Whittle's coach & bus fleet. From seeing Peter Shipp in 'On the Yorkshire Buses' I can't help feel he's just a genuinely nice bloke and cares about all his staff, EYMS Group is more than just about money to him, he doesn't come across as profit driven.

Anyone who's done any length of service at Whittle's would be daft to defect to Diamond/others, they should stay put & wait for the redundancy payout at least.

Cedric

Quote from: Winston on October 24, 2014, 09:35:12 AM

Dave, I see where you're coming from, but other than it's fleet, Whittle's doesn't appear to have many assets other than it's fleet, order book, name & goodwill and we don't actually what liabilities they have. The 6 x Levante's will no doubt be on operating leases, as with the Finglands sale, EYMS may prefer to retain the fleet to update its own, they may well opt to do the same with Whittle's coach & bus fleet. From seeing Peter Shipp in 'On the Yorkshire Buses' I can't help feel he's just a genuinely nice bloke and cares about all his staff, EYMS Group is more than just about money to him, he doesn't come across as profit driven.

Anyone who's done any length of service at Whittle's would be daft to defect to Diamond/others, they should stay put & wait for the redundancy payout at least.
Winston quite a few Staff have already left or leaving soon.  do not think there are that many that have done a great length of service on the bus side , think a few on the coach side have.  do  not think it  will before the end comes , think it will be soon than people think (just my view)
diamond 8\10/125/292

winston

Quote from: Ced on October 24, 2014, 10:04:44 AM

Winston quite a few Staff have already left or leaving soon.  do not think there are that many that have done a great length of service on the bus side , think a few on the coach side have.  do  not think it  will before the end comes , think it will be soon than people think (just my view)

Cedric, it doesn't sound like it. Closure now seems the most likely, with Diamond picking up the pieces on the bus side. What's the betting we see a new registration on the 125 & 192 soon from Diamond following it's recruitment drive......?

Cedric

any one know if city fox are really interested  as I can not find any reference to any service
any where they run nor a registration of any route in any traffic area , or a operators licence
diamond 8\10/125/292

Reece

Quote from: Winston on October 24, 2014, 10:15:39 AM

Cedric, it doesn't sound like it. Closure now seems the most likely, with Diamond picking up the pieces on the bus side. What's the betting we see a new registration on the 125 & 192 soon from Diamond following it's recruitment drive......?

I would think that Arriva might well want to take over the 125 rather than Diamond as Arriva have some presents in both Bridgnorth and Stourbridge. If Diamond was to take over the 125 would this mean they may take over the 101 Bridgnorth town service as well then?

winston

Quote from: LM 172 on November 03, 2014, 09:51:39 AM

I would think that Arriva might well want to take over the 125 rather than Diamond as Arriva have some presents in both Bridgnorth and Stourbridge. If Diamond was to take over the 125 would this mean they may take over the 101 Bridgnorth town service as well then?

I expect Diamond would want to take over everything that Whittle's currently operate to consolidate their position & prevent anyone expanding within Kidderminster

Cedric

Quote from: Winston on November 03, 2014, 10:20:07 AM
Quote from: LM 172 on November 03, 2014, 09:51:39 AM

I expect Diamond would want to take over everything that Whittle's currently operate to consolidate their position prevent anyone expanding within Kidderminster
except the 101 which would  be giving them just 1 route in Shropshire  and it is just a town service so that one think arriva may  just rejig there services around bridgnorth to cover it
diamond 8\10/125/292

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk