News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

what did you pass your PSV/PCV test in?

Started by Wumpty, October 07, 2012, 08:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: John on January 17, 2014, 06:57:43 PM
Quote from: John on January 12, 2014, 07:14:23 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on January 12, 2014, 07:00:32 PM
Well watch out for red lights or you will be in the job centre!

On the subject anyway, what's the probie/newbie routes at PB?

;)

Maybe the 7, 16, 65 and 101, one of the instructors was saying. I am wondering if the 952 may be another. Or I might go onto another rota where another driver is needed

I am route learning the 7 and 65 on the Perry Common rota, the 16 and 101 on the Oxhill rota, the 28 and 33 on the Kingstanding rota and the 94 (done that today, one complete 94 trip on 4300). Hopefully on the road with buddy driver end of next week, or the start of the week after

First day you carry passengers is the scariest day of your driving career, my first duty was a late night Christmas Eve on the 67, son't get much scarier than that, although the wierdest (but not bad) thing was drunk women leaning into the cab trying to give you a kiss, something you don't have happen now with the screens!

I am sure the instructor's have told you many times in the last few weeks, but your own/passenger/pedestrian/car driver safety/ takes priority over everything else, so if anyone else (colleague/passenger/car driver) moans about the speed/quality of your driving ignore it, just carry on driving safely!

old50niner

Sound advice from Tony, plus, nothing prepares you for the difference a loaded bus feels to an empty one.   Don't be persuaded to try to rush.

John

Thanks for the advice both.

That is something the instructors at Walsall, and other drivers at Perry Barr have been saying. I am getting quite nervous about my first day out in service (exited at the same time), but after that, I guess it will slowly come a bit easier as I get more experience with passengers on the bus

Liverpool Street

You'll be throwing that B7 around the roads by week 4. Like you've been doing it for years. Complying FULLY to company standards & being smack on time is a different matter!

- in all seriousness do not rush. You think that green lights not going to change so you leave your left foot planted... bang, amber - now your in bad water. Either slam them anchors on and watch the biddies catch big air or try and speed up and hope no one reports you for a red light offence. Then you're lying in bed wondering if your suspended from duty for the next 28days. Was it worth it to get back 5 minutes? Claim the overtime. ;)
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

lynx1103

Passed my test in 2007 in B10L gas 1505

Drove Lynxs 1107 1249 1264 1311

First bus ever to drive lynx 1264

Started at Walsall on new starters rota at time was

334/339

First day drove alone on 370 on a Sunday then after 2 months was on

City rota

51 997B 705 999

Then 2 months after moved onto Bradford place rota

311 311A 313 333 334 339

Finally after 3 years on a faveroute rota Cannock

351 355 355A 377 335

Then with service changes April 2010
Moved to Brownhills rota

7 7A 8 10 10A 908 335

On there ever since

Current Brownhills rota is

6 7 7A 10 10A 77 335

DOC37V

Passed mine in North Bham Busways Mk2 National SHH389X which now lives in Glasgow preserved.

I was the penultimate trainee to pass their test in that bus before the regs changed. The Instructor, for those that know Mike, was a true gent.
Preserving a bit of West Midlands heritage with 1037 and 1849.

John

Quote from: Tony on January 17, 2014, 08:24:36 PM
First day you carry passengers is the scariest day of your driving career, my first duty was a late night Christmas Eve on the 67, son't get much scarier than that, although the wierdest (but not bad) thing was drunk women leaning into the cab trying to give you a kiss, something you don't have happen now with the screens!

This may sound completely stupid, but one thing I fear when I get into service is driving straight past bus stops where people are waiting! Because while learning to drive, and also while type training, I haven't had to look out for bus stops like you would in service, I just need to get out of training mode so to speak!

That and low bridges. In service, if on a decker route, you won't be put in that situation with a low bridge, unless there is an emergency diversion, or running dead back to garage/from garage. I was looking at the bridge that the 7 has to go under on Lionel Street under Snow Hill Station. I am worrying about that one, I don't know why because obviously a decker can get under it, it just looks tight so you will just have to keep the bus in the dead centre of the road, as its a one way road that's what you should be doing anyway. I might have a walk down there today and watch a 7 or 46 decker go under it. It should come with experience, but the 2 deckers I have driven, it has not occurred to me that it is a decker 4 foot higher than a single

Tony

Quote from: John on January 18, 2014, 08:47:34 AM

This may sound completely stupid, but one thing I fear when I get into service is driving straight past bus stops where people are waiting! Because while learning to drive, and also while type training, I haven't had to look out for bus stops like you would in service, I just need to get out of training mode so to speak!

That and low bridges. In service, if on a decker route, you won't be put in that situation with a low bridge, unless there is an emergency diversion, or running dead back to garage/from garage. I was looking at the bridge that the 7 has to go under on Lionel Street under Snow Hill Station. I am worrying about that one, I don't know why because obviously a decker can get under it, it just looks tight so you will just have to keep the bus in the dead centre of the road, as its a one way road that's what you should be doing anyway. I might have a walk down there today and watch a 7 or 46 decker go under it. It should come with experience, but the 2 deckers I have driven, it has not occurred to me that it is a decker 4 foot higher than a single

I know how you feel with that bridge, but it is much higher than it looks and is perfectly safe right up to the kerb. There is a photo on the main site, cannot remember the fleetnumber, of a 28xx Metrobus in front of that bridge and there is a couple of foot headroom.

As for low bridge, when not on a normal bus route if unsure, stop and check signage, even if it means stopping traffic behind you for 20 seconds while you do it!

When I was bringing 3225 back from Showbus, even though I had a manager on board who had driven metrobuses along that route on the 220 service, I still slowed down to about 5 mph on a couple of them just to make sure it was safe

YWDriver

It was always a concern of mine that I would go flying past bus stops but honestly once you know the route and where the stops are, it is pretty easy to look out for passengers. Most of them put their hands out etc and can be easily seen. Bit different on a late night pouring with rain as the glare and reflections can be impair your view of the pavement if it is poorly lit. All you do is slow it up and take your time.
    When I first started I was constantly looking at the running board and stressing that I was late and looking in the mirrors for the bus behind me, just don't ! As the others have said just chill and take your time, once you start rushing that is when problems start happening. A couple of the guys that started the same time as me have had minor scrapes and they both said the same thing, they were rushing. Just take your time and take care of your passengers. You will also notice that car drivers are generally impatient and will do just about anything to get past you, don't race them, just let them do what they have to do and try not to stress or get wound up by them. Easy said than done sometimes!

As for the bridges try not to worry about them, as long as your on route/proper dead route you should be fine. If you do go the wrong way then stop and call up control as there could be a problem further up the road the you don't know about. I always thought the rail bridge coming into Solihull by the station (6/49/76 route) was a close one but I go under it everyday now without thinking about it. Now, low trees can be a different story but your buddy drivers should alert you to any particularly bad ones on your routes.

wbdriver

passed PCV test Friday 13th July 2007. 1505 i think was the bus.

John - Take all the advice you can get, take your time and don't rush. if you see someone in the bus stop, slow down, prepare to stop and remember, if they don't see you or give any indication they want that bus, especially when 2 or more services use the stop, it will not be your problem ;D.

keep your nose clean, don't do anything silly or dangerous and you will have a good long career on the buses. Don't worry about timings until you are confident enough to drive like a nutter like the rest of us. ;D

look forward to seeing you either up Hamstead, Pheasey or Sutton soon.
an empty bus is a happy driver.

John

I bet you were very pleased to pass on Friday the 13th WBDriver  :D
9505 was a good B10L to drive, the only problem was the electrics (The offside taillight kept blowing)

Thanks everyone for the advice, it really is appreciated.  :)

The next thing to get used to is the fare stages. The only route for which I know them all and know where they all are is the 65, I also know most of the ones for the 7 as well. I guess when I get out in service, you get to know them a lot better

Ex BC driver

Quote from: John on January 18, 2014, 06:02:25 PM
I bet you were very pleased to pass on Friday the 13th WBDriver  :D
9505 was a good B10L to drive, the only problem was the electrics (The offside taillight kept blowing)

Thanks everyone for the advice, it really is appreciated.  :)

The next thing to get used to is the fare stages. The only route for which I know them all and know where they all are is the 65, I also know most of the ones for the 7 as well. I guess when I get out in service, you get to know them a lot better

The way I learned the fare stages for the Bristol Road and Pershore Road was my buddy driver would get the timetable and write on the map where each stage was, then out on the road he's tell me to change to the next stage and I'd look out for something that stood, most fare stages are road names, or landmarks such as pubs, a few trips and you'll be fine

YWDriver

Another way to learn them is cycle through to the next stage on the wayfarer, remember the road name and then go back to the stage you are currently on (don't issue a fare in the meantime otherwise you can't go back), then just keep an eye out for the road name (it's usually on the bus stop flag). You could also sit down with your fare table on google maps and trace the route looking for the stages. Method 1 worked well for me and like you said, a few trips and it becomes second nature. Ultimately though the safety of the vehicle and passengers comes first so if you miss a stage or two do not worry about it at all.

John

Quote from: YWDriver on January 19, 2014, 08:45:53 AM
Another way to learn them is cycle through to the next stage on the wayfarer, remember the road name and then go back to the stage you are currently on (don't issue a fare in the meantime otherwise you can't go back), then just keep an eye out for the road name (it's usually on the bus stop flag). You could also sit down with your fare table on google maps and trace the route looking for the stages. Method 1 worked well for me and like you said, a few trips and it becomes second nature. Ultimately though the safety of the vehicle and passengers comes first so if you miss a stage or two do not worry about it at all.

I'm not the only one using Google maps then! ;D That's how I have learnt the 101, as I have never been on it as a passenger.

I learnt the 65 fare stages with the wayfarer and an A-Z that was in the training office

Lukeee

Have seen a Gemini on the 7 go under that bridge on the left hand side (as there was a crashed BMW blocking some of the road) and it did look a bit tight but it cleared it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk