News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Arriva take over Midland

Started by Ck, July 27, 2012, 07:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westy

How come they havent slapped the Arriva name on the red buses?

Have they changed the legal lettering?

Ash

Quote from: Peter123 on September 24, 2012, 06:36:16 PM
Quote from: andy on September 24, 2012, 06:32:49 PM
Quote from: Peter123 on September 24, 2012, 05:36:52 PM
Quote from: bob on September 23, 2012, 11:16:14 PM
The NXWM ones despite being 3-4 years older are in LOADS better nick than the V reg Arriva ones! Threadbare seats tired sounding engines, one of them has got masking tape on keeping a window secure! So the Midland tat should fit right in

Totally agree. The NXWM ones-even before many were refurbed are tonnes better than the v....dbc's. These are complete sheds not the nxwm ones. The seats are really threadbare, they rattle, the engines sound worn out-tbf theyve probably done more miles relative to their age than the NXWM ones as there mostly on interurban as opposed to urban routes but still

Guys, you're missing the point, which is that these buses are well past their sell by date and give an extremely poor image, doing nothing to entice commuters out of their cars. This is the problem I am talking about. It shouldn't be about a competition between Arriva and NX to see who's Volvos are the least awful!  The days of running around on 15 year old boneshakers should be gone.

I broadly agree with you. However, as I have said before, we mustnt get too worked up about vehicle age more about vehicle condition. As, for instance, with Go North East's refurbished T.... CBW renowns, as they have been refurbed, passengers often imagine them to be new or newish buses.

I went on a black diamond dart 31419 (R954JYS) and it has been refurbed and the seating and paintwork on the hand rails are spotless and definitely doesnt look its age or even sound it.  For a vehicle that is over 15 years old it seems to be in very good condition.

andy

Quote from: Peter123 on September 24, 2012, 06:36:16 PM
Quote from: andy on September 24, 2012, 06:32:49 PM
Quote from: Peter123 on September 24, 2012, 05:36:52 PM
Quote from: bob on September 23, 2012, 11:16:14 PM
The NXWM ones despite being 3-4 years older are in LOADS better nick than the V reg Arriva ones! Threadbare seats tired sounding engines, one of them has got masking tape on keeping a window secure! So the Midland tat should fit right in

Totally agree. The NXWM ones-even before many were refurbed are tonnes better than the v....dbc's. These are complete sheds not the nxwm ones. The seats are really threadbare, they rattle, the engines sound worn out-tbf theyve probably done more miles relative to their age than the NXWM ones as there mostly on interurban as opposed to urban routes but still

Guys, you're missing the point, which is that these buses are well past their sell by date and give an extremely poor image, doing nothing to entice commuters out of their cars. This is the problem I am talking about. It shouldn't be about a competition between Arriva and NX to see who's Volvos are the least awful!  The days of running around on 15 year old boneshakers should be gone.

I broadly agree with you. However, as I have said before, we mustnt get too worked up about vehicle age more about vehicle condition. As, for instance, with Go North East's refurbished T.... CBW renowns, as they have been refurbed, passengers often imagine them to be new or newish buses.

Yes, you're right it isn't about vehicle age, but the post that triggered mine was a cheap swipe at the age of the fleet so clearly to most people on here it's only a crap old bus if it belongs to another operator and not the one you like! That was my point.

PM

Yes, you're right it isn't about vehicle age, but the post that triggered mine was a cheap swipe at the age of the fleet so clearly to most people on here it's only a crap old bus if it belongs to another operator and not the one you like! That was my point.

I agree. Which is perhaps why I am prepared to accept that many of diamond's buses are quite old.

fleetline6477

Quote from: Westy on September 24, 2012, 07:01:57 PM

Legal lettering has changed, fleetnames haven't yet and there is no sign of any Arriva liveried vehicles around.

Tomjusttom

unless they intend to keep the Midland brand but just paint them in the same livery as Wardles? i.e. red instead of blue and the cow horns.

Plus it depends on if Tamworths B6s become available. Lets hope the mercs are in service soon to replace them.

Bob

If the point was to give Arriva a presence in the west midlands i doubt theyll keep the Midland name, not much of a presence in itself ...

Discodave

Quote from: Tomjusttom on September 24, 2012, 10:34:23 PM
unless they intend to keep the Midland brand but just paint them in the same livery as Wardles? i.e. red instead of blue and the cow horns.

Plus it depends on if Tamworths B6s become available. Lets hope the mercs are in service soon to replace them.

Stated on Arriva website when they aqquired Midland it would be absorbed into the arriva brand they are still doing exact fare will need to give them time on changing things over as they have only just became the official owner

nx4737

Quote from: Tomjusttom on September 24, 2012, 10:34:23 PM

Mercs enter service any time soon?

You must be having a laugh...

Bob

Thought they were entering service in first week of October

Tomjusttom

sconehead85

Quote from: bob on September 24, 2012, 10:42:37 PM
If the point was to give Arriva a presence in the west midlands i doubt theyll keep the Midland name, not much of a presence in itself ...

They are Arriva MIDLANDS Bob, so there is no need for another "Midland" name.  Personally they should scrap the Wardle name, although I do think Arriva should bring back the Arriva serving.......
strapline.

sconehead85

Quote from: fleetline6477 on September 24, 2012, 09:23:20 PM
Quote from: Westy on September 24, 2012, 07:01:57 PM

Legal lettering has changed, fleetnames haven't yet and there is no sign of any Arriva liveried vehicles around.

I guess they are just doing a temporary job at the mo!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/retroscania/8025860944/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/retroscania/8025863628/in/photostream/

more to put on soon!
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

Discodave

Quote from: Trident 4609 on September 23, 2012, 09:59:09 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to operate the 560 from wednesfield

See routes 19 and 560 thread I mentioned that plus but not combine them reliablitiy would be awful if wolves goes boobs up plus retime the 560 so it does not carry fresh air being timed 5 mins behind the 89 usually the NXWM one is not on time as they are always on top of each other so much for fair competition and enforcement of timetable from inspectors or VOSA

Bob

Dont know why Arriva have carried on with the 560, doesnt make sense, they got rid of the X31 which a lot of the time had very good loads and run this Chase relic?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk