News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Saltley Viaduct long-term closure 2022 to 2023 for HS2 works

Started by Gareth, October 14, 2021, 06:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ

Quote from: Jack on October 15, 2021, 02:00:21 PM
That was until the signs on the bridge at Sandwell and Dudley was changed...

I think their B7TL ALX400s might be fine still, but don't quote me on that.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Tony

Quote from: DJ on October 15, 2021, 02:12:57 PM
I think their B7TL ALX400s might be fine still, but don't quote me on that.

Hardly,  they are 14'2" exactly the same as an E400MMC

The bridge is signed at 13'

B.C Driver

It's going to be an absolute pain.

I'm guessing the 94 and 95 will use Aston Church Rd.
A 94 for example heading towards city will have to have to continue to Saltley Gate and loop back up to Aston Church Rd, with passengers waiting at the from city stops putting their hands out and Visa versa on the from city journeys. It will be so confusing.

And as for single decks on the 14, apart from the extra length being a pain trying to negotiate Alum Rock Rd, theres also capacity issues. Double decks are regularly full let alone single decks.

All this for a slightly quicker rail journey 😤
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

Jack

Quote from: B.C Driver on October 15, 2021, 05:32:59 PM
And as for single decks on the 14, apart from the extra length being a pain trying to negotiate Alum Rock Rd, theres also capacity issues. Double decks are regularly full let alone single decks.
Mercs used to be able to do it fine along there and the parking was just as bad then as it is now. If anything the 14 is a nightmare at the moment, especially with about 3/4 buses leaving the City at a time all rammed full, if anything just as bad as the 55/94.

Stu

Quote from: B.C Driver on October 15, 2021, 05:32:59 PM
It's going to be an absolute pain.

I'm guessing the 94 and 95 will use Aston Church Rd.
A 94 for example heading towards city will have to have to continue to Saltley Gate and loop back up to Aston Church Rd, with passengers waiting at the from city stops putting their hands out and Visa versa on the from city journeys. It will be so confusing.

All this for a slightly quicker rail journey 😤

I'm not totally familiar with the 14/94/95 routes, but it would seem to me logical for these services to divert via the A47 and Aston Church Road. From there, the 94 and 95 would just continue along Washwood Heath Road as normal route, with the 14 going back down Washwood Heath Road to join Alum Rock Road.

It would of course mean that those two sets of stops on Washwood Heath Road currently used by the 94/95 can still get a service to Birmingham city centre, just on the opposite side of the road to now.

Granted, whichever way it is done, some additional running time is going to be needed, but I don't see any real need to change any of those routes to single deck operation.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

DJ

Quote from: Tony on October 15, 2021, 02:45:14 PM
Hardly,  they are 14'2" exactly the same as an E400MMC

The bridge is signed at 13'

Ah right, I thought there was a chance with them being low height ones but I guess not.

Tony

Quote from: DJ on October 15, 2021, 07:29:54 PM
Ah right, I thought there was a chance with them being low height ones but I guess not.

They're not low height ones, they are standard height.

B.C Driver

Quote from: Stu on October 15, 2021, 07:03:20 PM
I'm not totally familiar with the 14/94/95 routes, but it would seem to me logical for these services to divert via the A47 and Aston Church Road. From there, the 94 and 95 would just continue along Washwood Heath Road as normal route, with the 14 going back down Washwood Heath Road to join Alum Rock Road.

It would of course mean that those two sets of stops on Washwood Heath Road currently used by the 94/95 can still get a service to Birmingham city centre, just on the opposite side of the road to now.

Granted, whichever way it is done, some additional running time is going to be needed, but I don't see any real need to change any of those routes to single deck operation.

When Saltley Viaduct was closed recently we had to use Aston Church Rd from city and instead of turning left onto Washwood Heath Rd had to turn right and loop down to Saltley Gate to serve the 3 missed stops.

The ideal solution would be if Bham city council could erect a temporary viaduct similar to the old Camp Hill flyover,  but I cant see this happening. Failing that improve the traffic light sequence at Aston Church Rd / Washwood Heath Rd.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

Gareth

Quote from: B.C Driver on October 15, 2021, 07:42:37 PM
When Saltley Viaduct was closed recently we had to use Aston Church Rd from city and instead of turning left onto Washwood Heath Rd had to turn right and loop down to Saltley Gate to serve the 3 missed stops.

Now if that can be done for both directions, that's almost the perfect solution. I haven't known them do that before. Last couple of times I've been on a 55/94 using Aston Church Road(unplanned diversion), drivers haven't even mentioned a diversion and shot straight up Heartlands Parkway without warning!

BBS

Quote from: B.C Driver on October 15, 2021, 01:40:12 PM
Single deckers on the 14 can be very awkward on Alum Rock Rd due to the extra length.
I mean The E200MMC's are fairly long
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Jack

Quote from: bbs on October 15, 2021, 09:07:08 PM
I mean The E200MMC's are fairly long
All of the full size singles are 'fairly long' 🙄

I don't remember the Mercs struggling along there when they was on the 14 and 26 and the parking was just as bad back then!

DJ

Quote from: Tony on October 15, 2021, 07:39:51 PM
They're not low height ones, they are standard height.

I thought the bodywork on the B7TLs was a lower height than the Tridents? They definitely look shorter.

Marge559

Quote from: DJ on October 15, 2021, 10:47:10 PM
I thought the bodywork on the B7TLs was a lower height than the Tridents? They definitely look shorter.
Little bit of an optical illusion, the windscreens are higher and they have shorter destination glass than the trident bodied ALX.
I don't have any red buses!

Michael Bevan

Quote from: DJ on October 15, 2021, 10:47:10 PM

@DJ They are a lower height as the 42**'s at NX are 14ft 2 whilst a Trident is 14ft 6. But they aren't the low height varient.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk