News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Service 10H service changes

Started by Bus Man K2, February 21, 2020, 12:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sayeed

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on February 23, 2020, 06:03:14 PM
Well all I can say is when I last used it was busy and that was the last journey of the day. When you think of it though the next bus to depart the centre (10) isn't busy at all. I've used it on some occacitons and there has only been me and one other person on it. So really I'm supprised that the 10 hasn't been withdrawn. As also the 23 & 24 prity much follow the 10 route to Harborne. I know that the 10 does Court Oak Rd but it's still not busy on that part of the route.

Yes that does still happen and it's good that NX altered the frequencies. I remember when igo ran the 10, it used to run every 30 minutes in the evenings whereas under NX it is like every 45 minutes. Also, I remember there used to be 4 journeys to Quinton in the morning, now it is only 2.

However, saying why the service hasn't been withdrawn, try catching in the morning to the City, I bet you won't find the seat when you reach Croftdown road. I followed and passed the bus by car couple of times on the West Boulevard road, loadings were good.

I also drove past 10H (to QEHB) few times this year, loadings were fair but at one time there were definitely more than 10 passengers. 
Век живи - век учись

Stu

I thought I was having a deja vu moment with this thread, then I realised we've had this discussion before, and I even suggested renumbering the 10H as 25.

http://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=5666.0

Quote from: Stu on January 29, 2020, 08:46:50 PM
Personally, I don't use any of the 10 / 10H / 10S services, so I can't really comment on how well they are used.

But I do think there should be some kind of review and consultation to determine what the future of these routes should be, perhaps they could be revised to incorporate parts of other services, or combined into some new circular-type service.

Might I suggest use of the number 25? Would fit in better alongside the current 24 service between Birmingham and Quinton.

8)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

sonic84

As someone who lives in Quinton, reducing the frequency of the 10 to every 45 minutes as well as the new route along Simmons Drive before heading up Quinton Road West and then via worlds End has made it a much less attractive option.

Saying that I understand that the new route could have improved passengers numbers as Worlds End regains their peak link to the city and the 10 runs in same direction up Quinton Road West as the 24 to pick up passengers for the city centre.

I've said it before but the 10 should be a very busy route in the AM and PM peaks as it is quicker (and was more direct) than the 24.

Quote from: Stu on February 23, 2020, 09:00:14 PM
I thought I was having a deja vu moment with this thread, then I realised we've had this discussion before, and I even suggested renumbering the 10H as 25.

http://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=5666.0

8)
"Would fit in better alongside the current 24 service between Birmingham and Quinton."
That makes no sense.
There's no relation between the 10H and 24 @Stu. Completely different routes, that go to completely different places.
10H doesn't go anywhere near Harborne, or Quinton.
Quote from: MasterPlan on February 23, 2020, 10:09:05 PM
Been the other ways around whenever I've seen them. The 10 has had a few on there by the 10H carries fresh air.
I agree, that's what I see when I've seen them. Seen loads since NX took over and it seems to be the 10H always carrying fresh air.

Also wander if it would make sense for the 10H to go via Spring Hill in both directions?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MasterPlan

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on February 23, 2020, 07:41:38 PM
All I can say @Trident 4194 is when I've been on it there's omly been 1 or two passengea including me. So the 10 isn't a busy route at all. Unlike the 10H when I was on there.

Been the other way around whenever I've seen them. The 10 has had a few on there by the 10H carries fresh air.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

j789

Quote from: sonic84 on February 23, 2020, 09:21:34 PM
As someone who lives in Quinton, reducing the frequency of the 10 to every 45 minutes as well as the new route along Simmons Drive before heading up Quinton Road West and then via worlds End has made it a much less attractive option.

Saying that I understand that the new route could have improved passengers numbers as Worlds End regains their peak link to the city and the 10 runs in same direction up Quinton Road West as the 24 to pick up passengers for the city centre.

I've said it before but the 10 should be a very busy route in the AM and PM peaks as it is quicker (and was more direct) than the 24.

I agree about the 10 route potential. I used to catch the route regularly from the court oak pub stop in the 90s and 2000s as was much quicker than the 103 into town. I think someone mentioned previously that the route change for the 103/24 in Quinton affected the number of passengers the 10 picked up. I also think to be successful again today it would need to have a core peak time frequency of at least every 20 minutes which I can't see happening. I have suggested in the past also extending it from Quinton direct to Northfield up the main road as this definitely would be popular with Quinton residents.

I guess another alternative would be to introduce an x24 express route from Northfield/Quinton via Croft down road and Augustus road in the peaks to offer a more direct route into town. This may well prove popular especially if a congestion charge is brought in as even the more affluent areas in goes through may be more inclined to use the bus then.

mesub

Quote from: j789 on February 23, 2020, 10:10:57 PM
I have suggested in the past also extending it from Quinton direct to Northfield up the main road as this definitely would be popular with Quinton residents.

I would like that, especially if it's quicker than the 27!
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

monkeyjoe

Quote from: monkeyjoe on February 24, 2020, 07:19:22 PM
New timetable on nx website
"Edgbaston Park Road & Church Road will not be served by this new service."
Looks like a different route to the one that was metioned on here then, which suggested it would still serve both Edgbaston Park Road and Church Road.
So if it will still be serving University Station and running via Harborne (Green Man) as the NX website suggests does that mean it will run along the 48 route (Pritchatts Road and Vincent Drive) between the Green Man and the QE?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: 2206 on February 24, 2020, 07:22:15 PM
Looks like a different route to the one that was metioned on here then, which suggested it would still serve both Edgbaston Park Road and Church Road.
So if it will still be serving University Station and running via Harborne (Green Man) as the NX website suggests does that mean it will run along the 48 route (Pritchatts Road and Vincent Drive) between the Green Man and the QE?

Hi @2206  yep it will be running a loop of the uni and Hospital. It will not now terminate at the Hospital.

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on February 24, 2020, 07:50:07 PM
Hi @2206  yep it will be running a loop of the uni and Hospital. It will not now terminate at the Hospital.
Yes but your post suggested it would serve Edgbaston Park Road and Church Road.
"So it'll operate as it does now to the Hospital"
The NX website suggests it will not and will run via Harborne, which is why I was asking which route it will use.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Mike K

Quote from: 2206 on February 24, 2020, 07:22:15 PM

NX site says Birmingham-Harborne-QE-University Station-Harborne-Birmingham so at a guess, possibly via the 19 route (Metchley Lane) to QE outbound, then via 48 route (Pritchatts Road, Somerset Road) back towards Harborne inbound? It's now clear as to why it's being renumbered 25 too.

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on February 23, 2020, 10:01:53 PM
"Would fit in better alongside the current 24 service between Birmingham and Quinton."
That makes no sense.
There's no relation between the 10H and 24 @Stu. Completely different routes, that go to completely different places.

OK, at the time I posted that, I may have been mixed up with the 10.

Quote from: 2206 on February 23, 2020, 10:01:53 PM10H doesn't go anywhere near Harborne, or Quinton.

Looks like it will be going back to Harborne, so use of the number 25 is now justified.  ;)

Quote from: Mike K on February 24, 2020, 07:54:43 PM
NX site says Birmingham-Harborne-QE-University Station-Harborne-Birmingham so at a guess, possibly via the 19 route (Metchley Lane) to QE outbound, then via 48 route (Pritchatts Road, Somerset Road) back towards Harborne inbound? It's now clear as to why it's being renumbered 25 too.

Thanks, 25 fits in with other Harborne services like 24 and 27 now.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MasterPlan

I'm guessing it will run off a 23/24 board now instead of an ☓20 and also share the stop with the 23 and 24 on Colmore Row.

Just need a 26 to replace the God awful 27 now...
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Busboy105

Quote from: MasterPlan on February 24, 2020, 11:08:15 PM
I'm guessing it will run off a 23/24 board now instead of an ☓20 and also share the stop with the 23 and 24 on Colmore Row.

Just need a 26 to replace the God awful 27 now...
Is the 27 really that bad?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk