News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Service 10H service changes

Started by Bus Man K2, February 21, 2020, 12:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Quote from: ellspurs on February 21, 2020, 11:16:22 PM
But the 25 goes from Erdington to Ward End...

Why complicate it further?

Why leave it as 10H when it can be renumbered to fit in with all the other bus services out that direction?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Quote from: Kevin on February 22, 2020, 09:05:04 AM
Why leave it as 10H when it can be renumbered to fit in with all the other bus services out that direction?
Not sure why it needs to.
And in East Birmingham there is the - 28, 55, 94, 14, 97 and X12. Those numbers hardly fit in with each other, can't say I've ever seen it as a problem though. 55 and 94 operate on the same corridor as well, and those route numbers hardly fit in with each other.
Quote from: Trident 4194 on February 22, 2020, 10:56:31 AM
From the QE yes, but from university there are many different exits.
The 10H hardly follows the 23/24 anymore though does it. Doesn't even go to harborne anymore
Obviously lots of people at the Uni must find it more convenient to take the X20/X21/X22 though, as the North Gate and Station stops are very heavily used.
I suppose 25 also fits in with the 19, X20, X21 and X22 as well, not sure why it needs to though.
As its not like any X20/X21/X22 passengers will use it, especially since it will no longer be serving the Uni Station stop towards the City Centre anymore soon and using Metchley Lane instead.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Trident 4194

Quote from: StourValley98 on February 22, 2020, 08:23:00 AM
It's another 15/20 mins walk to the 61/63 though, not exactly doable for some people.

From the QE yes, but from university there are many different exits.
The 10H hardly follows the 23/24 anymore though does it. Doesn't even go to harborne anymore

Jack

The 10H has to one if not the most pointless services in Birmingham and probably the entire West Midlands...

Mike K

Quote from: 2206 on February 22, 2020, 10:22:22 AM
Not sure why it needs to.
And in East Birmingham there is the - 28, 55, 94, 14, 97 and X12. Those numbers hardly fit in with each other, can't say I've ever seen it as a problem though. 55 and 94 operate on the same corridor as well, and those route numbers hardly fit in with each other.Obviously lots of people at the Uni must find it more convenient to take the X20/X21/X22 though, as the North Gate and Station stops are very heavily used.
I suppose 25 also fits in with the 19, X20, X21 and X22 as well, not sure why it needs to though.
As its not like any X20/X21/X22 passengers will use it, especially since it will no longer be serving the Uni Station stop towards the City Centre anymore soon and using Metchley Lane instead.

I would imagine the main reason for renumbering it is to avoid confusion. It no longer bears any resemblance to route 10, which also departs from Colmore Row, and you also have the X10 departing from Colmore Row - another different route entirely. No need for so many variants of the 10 going entirely separate ways when there are other numbers spare.

Quote from: Mike K on February 22, 2020, 11:59:54 AM
I would imagine the main reason for renumbering it is to avoid confusion. It no longer bears any resemblance to route 10, which also departs from Colmore Row, and you also have the X10 departing from Colmore Row - another different route entirely. No need for so many variants of the 10 going entirely separate ways when there are other numbers spare.
Surely there isn't any confusion as it is. 10 and 10H run at completely separate times of day. And not sure how anyone can get confused between the 10H and X10, never seen that happen when I've used it.
Changing the route number will cause confustion, for the few that do use it, who won't know where the 10H has gone.

And there is probably just as high a chance someone could get confused with the 25, since there will now be 2 25's in Birmingham. And lots of people in East and North Birmingham do travel to the QE/Uni.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Mike K

Quote from: 2206 on February 22, 2020, 12:01:54 PM
Surely there isn't any confusion as it is. 10 and 10H run at completely separate times of day. And not sure how anyone can get confused between the 10H and X10, never seen that happen on the 10H either. 
Changing the route number will cause confustion, for the few that do use it, who won't know where the 10H has gone.

If you can't see that three number 10s, all departing from the same street on entirely different and unrelated routes could be a tad confusing for some members of the general public, you should look at it from the perspective of the elderly, or of people who aren't regular users of the public transport network.

Quote from: Mike K on February 22, 2020, 12:10:38 PM
If you can't see that three number 10s, all departing from the same street on entirely different and unrelated routes could be a tad confusing for some members of the general public, you should look at it from the perspective of the elderly, or of people who aren't regular users of the public transport network.
The destination diplay clearly reads 10H QE Hospital, it doesn't say X10 on it. Also they both serve completely different stops, the 10H stops up at the top with the Dudley Road services. Can't see where the confusion is, and never seen anyone confused by this when I've used the route.
And if it is that confusing then why isn't the WB 10 being renumbered as well?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Kevin

Quote from: 2206 on February 22, 2020, 12:01:54 PM
And there is probably just as high a chance someone could get confused with the 25, since there will now be 2 25's in Birmingham. And quite a few people in East and North Birmingham do travel to the QE/Uni.

Quote from: 2206 on February 22, 2020, 12:13:52 PM
The destination diplay clearly reads 10H QE Hospital, it doesn't say X10 on it. Also they both serve completely different stops, the 10H stops up at the top with the Dudley Road services. Can't see where the confusion is, and never seen anyone confused by this.

Are you aware that both your arguments contradict each other or are you just arguing for the sake of it?
It's going to change. Deal with it
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Mike K

Quote from: 2206 on February 22, 2020, 12:13:52 PM
The destination diplay clearly reads 10H QE Hospital, it doesn't say X10 on it. Also they both serve completely different stops, the 10H stops up at the top with the Dudley Road services. Can't see where the confusion is, and never seen anyone confused by this.

What has a route that departs from West Bromwich got to do with this? To someone who spends his life on a bus forum, it might not be confusing. To someone unfamiliar with the city, an infrequent bus user, etc, etc, it might well be. NX clearly think so, otherwise they wouldn't be renumbering it. But you clearly know better than the people who run bus companies.

Saw 4449 on the 10h this morning not sure if it could cope with it's one passenger.

Quote from: Mike K on February 22, 2020, 12:19:20 PM
What has a route that departs from West Bromwich got to do with this?
WB 10 that runs from Quinton to Birmingham.
Quote from: Kevin on February 22, 2020, 12:18:27 PM
Are you aware that both your arguments contradict each other or are you just arguing for the sake of it?
10H is a unique route number in Birmingham, 25 isn't.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Mike K

Quote from: 2206 on February 22, 2020, 12:21:42 PM
WB 10 that runs from Quinton to Birmingham.

I think you're missing the point. I'm not proposing that everything be renumbered. The 10 and 10H used to be part of the same route, one running via Augustus Road, one running via Harborne. They now have absolutely nothing in common so to avoid any confusion why not renumber the 10H?

If someone on here posted that the world was round you'd argue that it was flat. You need to get out more.

Quote from: Mike K on February 22, 2020, 12:29:12 PM
I think you're missing the point. I'm not proposing that everything be renumbered. The 10 and 10H used to be part of the same route, one running via Augustus Road, one running via Harborne. They now have absolutely nothing in common so to avoid any confusion why not renumber the 10H?
They run at completely separate times of day though, there isn't any confusion. If anyone thinks they can catch a 10 to Quinton at 13:00, then they need to look at the timetable. And can't see anyone getting on a bus at the Dudley Road stop, thinking they are going to Quinton.
And i'm sure to avoid confusion you can always ask the driver where the bus is going @Mike K.
Quote from: Mike K on February 22, 2020, 12:43:33 PM
If you can't see that a suffix on the end of a route number denotes a variation to the main route and could otherwise be confusing that's your issue.
Never seen any of this confusion about the route number, or someone thinks its going to Quinton when I've used the 10H. Only confusion I've seen are people wanting to get off at the X20 stop at New Street Station and being  taken to the Markets and Colmore Row instead and confused why its taking a longer route via Ladywood.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Mike K

Quote from: 2206 on February 22, 2020, 12:30:44 PM
They run at completely separate times of day though, there isn't any confusion. If anyone thinks they can catch a 10 to Quinton at 13:00, then they need to look at the timetable. And can't see anyone getting on a bus at the Dudley Road stop, thinking they are going to Quinton.
And i'm sure to avoid confusion you can always ask the driver where the bus is going @Mike K.

If you can't see that a suffix on the end of a route number denotes a variation to the main route and could otherwise be confusing that's your issue. I've actually got things to do today so won't be responding again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk