News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Should the 10H be renumbered?

Started by sonic84, January 29, 2020, 07:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonic84

I was wondering whether the 10H should now be renumbered?

In the Birmingham area we now have the 10 / 10H / 10S and X10 all which have little in common. (Obv the 10 and 10S are similar in Quinton) so is it now time go remember the 10S to something like the 20 or 25?

Stu

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

lol @Stu, think he means renumbered.

Problem is with in the West Midlands now you have 99 numbers you can use thanks to the, in my opinion, idiotic ruling that each area needs it own individual bus network. When the WMPTE took over from Midland Red in the Black Country, they got rid of routes like the S47 and D9 and we got the 2XX routes.

So to renumber the 10H at this time would be rather pointless imo when spare numbers maybe required in the future?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

richardjones210368

Quote from: Stu on January 29, 2020, 07:06:51 PM
Remembered for what?
Remembered for Diamond Buses utter failure to make it a commercial operation perhaps?

MasterPlan

Renumbered? Scrapped more like. I never see it carrying anything other than fresh air. At least the 10 gets some patronage.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Stu

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 29, 2020, 07:14:09 PM
lol @Stu, think he means renumbered.

Problem is with in the West Midlands now you have 99 numbers you can use thanks to the, in my opinion, idiotic ruling that each area needs it own individual bus network. When the WMPTE took over from Midland Red in the Black Country, they got rid of routes like the S47 and D9 and we got the 2XX routes.

So to renumber the 10H at this time would be rather pointless imo when spare numbers maybe required in the future?

Lol, yes I know they meant 'renumbered', I was being facetious  ;)

For the avoidance of doubt, I'll edit the OP.

Personally, I don't use any of the 10 / 10H / 10S services, so I can't really comment on how well they are used.

But I do think there should be some kind of review and consultation to determine what the future of these routes should be, perhaps they could be revised to incorporate parts of other services, or combined into some new circular-type service.

Might I suggest use of the number 25? Would fit in better alongside the current 24 service between Birmingham and Quinton.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MasterPlan

Quote from: Stu on January 29, 2020, 08:46:50 PM
But I do think there should be some kind of review and consultation to determine what the future of these routes should be, perhaps they could be revised to incorporate parts of other services, or combined into some new circular-type service.

Might I suggest use of the number 25? Would fit in better alongside the current 24 service between Birmingham and Quinton.

I've said this before. I can't understand why they're carrying on under their current form. Even tendered routes surely have to have a point to them. These 10Hs have to be a waste of milage, driver hours etc.

Busboy105

Quote from: Stu on January 29, 2020, 08:46:50 PM
Lol, yes I know they meant 'renumbered', I was being facetious  ;)

For the avoidance of doubt, I'll edit the OP.

Personally, I don't use any of the 10 / 10H / 10S services, so I can't really comment on how well they are used.

A lot of people have suggested this on the "If you had the power to modify or create a new service what should you do?"
10: Renumber as the 24A and make it run alongside the 24. No change to the timetable. However Augustus Road wouldn't be served.
10H: Renumber as the 25 and make it run between Birmingham and Shenley Fields. No change to the route however I would increase the frequency to 30 minutes considering that was the old 29A frequency from a couple of years ago.
10S: Withdraw it. Don't see a point in the route. Since it inter works with the 54/54A, the 54/54A could extend to Selly Oak every hour replacing it. It's a alternative West Bromwich to Selly Oak link to the 48. (Not sure if it's quicker than the 48 but we move).

Busboy105

Quote from: MasterPlan on January 29, 2020, 09:09:16 PM
I've said this before. I can't understand why they're carrying on under their current form. Even tendered routes surely have to have a point to them. These 10Hs have to be a waste of milage, driver hours etc.
The 36 (Heartlands Hospital to Sparkbrook) doesn't. All it is a quicker link to Acocks Green and it's unusual frequency doesn't really help either.

MasterPlan

Quote from: Busboy105 on January 29, 2020, 09:09:47 PM
A lot of people have suggested this on the "If you had the power to modify or create a new service what should you do?"
10: Renumber as the 24A and make it run alongside the 24. No change to the timetable. However Augustus Road wouldn't be served.
10H: Renumber as the 25 and make it run between Birmingham and Shenley Fields. No change to the route however I would increase the frequency to 30 minutes considering that was the old 29A frequency from a couple of years ago.
10S: Withdraw it. Don't see a point in the route. Since it inter works with the 54/54A, the 54/54A could extend to Selly Oak every hour replacing it. It's a alternative West Bromwich to Selly Oak link to the 48. (Not sure if it's quicker than the 48 but we move).

I'd definitely renumber one of them to the 25 and terminate up at Shenley Fields.
The 29A was every 20 mins though as far as I remember.

Probably could incorporate it into the Harborne corridor. Reduce the frequency of the 23/24 slightly to every 12 mins or something and run the 25 every 20 mins. Can go along War Lane to compensate for the 23 frequency being reduced.

Quote from: Busboy105 on January 29, 2020, 09:09:47 PM
10H is very underused, the current form should be scrapped, people to the QE and Uni and Edgbaston take the X20's. I caught 6888 on there today, waste of a double decker realy.
Not sure how there could be an extension to Shenley Fields without a change to route, as it would still have to serve the Uni and QE, which is pointless.
6888 was also 15 minutes late and not tracking, so had no idea if it was actually going to turn up.

The current 10H (City Centre - QE/Uni via Ladywood) has no connection with the 24 either @Stu
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Steveminor

Quote from: Busboy105 on January 29, 2020, 09:11:03 PM
The 36 (Heartlands Hospital to Sparkbrook) doesn't. All it is a quicker link to Acocks Green and it's unusual frequency doesn't really help either.

The 36 provides some very useful links & covers roads which otherwise would be out of ITA standards (& yes they are well used on those roads from people who otherwise would find it difficult to get to a bus).

People look at tendered routes saying what's the point they dont carry many, well for those that use them they are a vital lifeline.

Quote from: Steveminor on January 29, 2020, 09:58:44 PM
The 36 provides some very useful links & covers roads which otherwise would be out of ITA standards (& yes they are well used on those roads from people who otherwise would find it difficult to get to a bus).

People look at tendered routes saying what's the point they dont carry many, well for those that use them they are a vital lifeline.
Though with the 10H other than one road in Ladywood, every other road has frequent alternative services.
6888 only carried two people earlier on the 14:30 - 1 from Spring Hill Island to Ladywood and 1 from Ladywood to Uni Station.
Usually it's completely empty or takes the odd person confused because they thought they were on the X20.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

Quote from: 2206 on January 29, 2020, 10:01:55 PM
Though with the 10H other than one road in the Ladywood, every other road has frequent alternative services.
You may as well scrap it without a replacement, doubt anyone would even notice it's gone, let alone it existing.

It can be remembered for being one of the most pointless routes in Birmingham, beating the 38.

richardjones210368

Quote from: 2206 on January 29, 2020, 10:01:55 PM
Though with the 10H other than one road in the Ladywood, every other road has frequent alternative services.
6888 only carried two people earlier on the 14:30 - 1 from Spring Hill Island to Ladywood and 1 from Ladywood to Uni Station.
My own TfWM 24 provides vital links off the Rowley Road which would require an uphill walk to the X8 which many users could not manage.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk