News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Electric Buses

Started by Tony, February 01, 2020, 02:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

I only noticed today that these new electrics have a little speaker on the outside next to the door.

Was waiting on Camp Hill for a 2 or 3, three new buses on the 6 arrived in convoy. Two of them stopped to let off passengers, as the doors were closing I heard the "6 to Solihull" announcement, and initially wondered where it was coming from. It was only when the second bus did the same that I noticed this speaker.

I assume this is for the benefit of blind or visually-impaired passengers, so while I applaud this move as a great idea, two things I will suggest is that the volume could be a bit higher, and the announcement should be played BEFORE the doors close and the bus pulls away!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on September 02, 2024, 07:19:00 PMI only noticed today that these new electrics have a little speaker on the outside next to the door.

Was waiting on Camp Hill for a 2 or 3, three new buses on the 6 arrived in convoy. Two of them stopped to let off passengers, as the doors were closing I heard the "6 to Solihull" announcement, and initially wondered where it was coming from. It was only when the second bus did the same that I noticed this speaker.

I assume this is for the benefit of blind or visually-impaired passengers, so while I applaud this move as a great idea, two things I will suggest is that the volume could be a bit higher, and the announcement should be played BEFORE the doors close and the bus pulls away!
The volume can be changed via the destination DERIC controller (not by the driver, you need some codes to get into the controls). They are supposed to play as the doors open

BBS

QuoteThe volume can be changed via the destination DERIC controller (not by the driver, you need some codes to get into the controls). They are supposed to play as the doors open
Coventry also has them, their quite useful but most of the time you can't even hear them 
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Tony

E323 has just entered service on the 16 making it 80 vehicles now in service at PB

Tony

Today's new entry into service is E322

Mayfield

When are the 74 plates entering service

Tony

Quote from: Mayfield on September 04, 2024, 05:50:55 PMWhen are the 74 plates entering service
Probably after they are delivered

Mayfield

Oh I misunderstood I thought the 24s were going to be taxed as 74s

Tony

Quote from: Mayfield on September 04, 2024, 08:34:33 PMOh I misunderstood I thought the 24s were going to be taxed as 74s
All the known registrations are on the main site
E001 upwards (wmbusphotos.com)
Everything showing as a '24' plate on that page is now taxed, even if it hasn't been delivered yet, so won't be changing

Mayfield

Thanks for clarification 

Westy

Slightly off topic, but has anyone seen page 4 of today's Metro?

Tony

I see someone altered the registration to E288 this morning on Bustimes who obviously hadn't actually seen the bus!

Tony

E231 at YW is the 95th of this batch of 170 to enter service

Tony

E295 into service today - number 96

Lukeee

Quote from: Tony on September 09, 2024, 06:13:56 PME295 into service today - number 96
Misread that then and panicked a bit, dd on the 96 wouldn't end well 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk