News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

West Midlands Bus patronage decline

Started by metrocity, January 27, 2020, 03:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

6704 had stones thrown at it by chavs with balaclavas on Cooks Lane on Saturday, it does tend to happen there quite abit. In a way if buses around there are getting treated like rubbish, then why should they be upgraded and get trashed?

MW

I'm only speaking from my own point of view. If it were me deciding where to put new buses, the areas I've listed would get diddly squat. At most, single deckers. No way double deckers.

Mid life vehicles with money spent on branding to increase passenger numbers yes, but the reputation of the areas would make it difficult to justify brand new deckers.

I get why those areas are operated with older Tridents/B7TL.

I've seen certain people on this forum respond by saying "oh well they have to operate somewhere", which is a fair point. But they're without a doubt concentrated on East Birmingham, and I agree with it. I'm sure monkeyjoe will be livid lol.

If it were a case of "they have to operate somewhere," the older buses would be spread around the network better, rather than concentrated on routes like the 14/55/72/73/94/97. X12 is more of an anomaly as it serves some more affluent areas in Solihull & around the Airport, and speeds past some of the dumps lol.

Quote from: MW on January 28, 2020, 11:53:41 AM
Personally, I've always regarded Chelmsley Wood and the surrounding areas as (without causing offence) right s*itholes. The kinds of areas with gangs of kids hanging around with ABSOs.

When I say Chelmsley Wood, I also regard the 3-4 miles around it as part of it, so Bromford, Stechford, Kitts Green, Marston Green, Alum Rock, Bordesley Green etc.

Anyways, isn't that the reason why they don't get new buses on that side of the city? The only other places I can think of that are as undesirable as Chelmsley Wood is Soho Road, but only between Hockley Flyover & the M5 roundabout.
Complete rubbish I see more people causing trouble - beggars, fare dodgers and youths in Sheldon and Solihull (people from the Sheldon area) than I do on the Washwood Heath Road.
And the X2 has brand new buses, despite this.

Most of the people who use the service Washwood Heath Road are frare paying passengers, think you are making an assumption about an are you have never been to regularly and route you've never used.
And I have never had many problems on the Washwood Heath Road, though had some beggar following me off the bus on the X2.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Quote from: MW on January 28, 2020, 11:53:41 AM
Personally, I've always regarded Chelmsley Wood and the surrounding areas as (without causing offence) right s*itholes. The kinds of areas with gangs of kids hanging around with ABSOs.

I can think of that are as undesirable as Chelmsley Wood is Soho Road, but only between Hockley Flyover & the M5 roundabout.
Dale End/Carrs Lane.
Full of gangs of kids normally.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MW

Quote from: 2206 on January 28, 2020, 04:03:03 PM
Complete rubbish I see more people causing trouble - beggars, fare dodgers and youths in Sheldon and Solihull, than I do on the Washwood Heath Road.
And the X2 has brand new buses, despite this.

Most of the people who use the service Washwood Heath Road are frare paying passengers, think you are making an assumption about an are you have never been to regularly and route you've never used.
And I have never had many problems on the Washwood Heath Road, though had some beggar following me off the bus on the X2.

I forgot about the X2. Most of the bus related issues in Solihull Town Centre are at the 72/73/X2 stand. I regularly see it. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, I broke up a fight between some youths from that stand when they were attacking a youngster on his own.

Another time, some kids beat up a guy who was with his girlfriend.

Thinking about it, I can think of 5 recent incidents from passengers waiting at that stand, who then board either the 72 or X2. Sheldon is another area, yes. I agree. The X2 is also the fastest bus route into Birmingham so it's new vehicles can be justified.

Speaking to the security people in Touchwood & the local police, the vast majority of trouble makers in Solihull come from these council estates in the Chelmsley Wood area. There was a gang of youths from there coming into Solihull and going around mugging people. A few groups are also from the Maypole area, but as said, the vast majority appear to be from Chelmsley Wood & co.

I'm not a regular on East Birmingham routes, no. But I'm aware of areas geographically in Birmingham having had various jobs across the city and in my experience, that sort of Chelmsley Wood/East Birmingham area & Handsworth are the scummiest, which is why I can see why NX is less inclined to invest.

Don't get me wrong, there are other scummy areas too, but I don't think as bad. One example is Gospel Oak. It's that bad that in the evenings the old 31, and now 4A terminate at Robin Hood Island, so there isn't a bus parked up in Gospel Oak. There were a few cases of drivers assaulted and bus windows smashed up.

monkeyjoe

Quote from: MW on January 28, 2020, 01:48:41 PM
I'm only speaking from my own point of view. If it were me deciding where to put new buses, the areas I've listed would get diddly squat. At most, single deckers. No way double deckers.

Mid life vehicles with money spent on branding to increase passenger numbers yes, but the reputation of the areas would make it difficult to justify brand new deckers.

I get why those areas are operated with older Tridents/B7TL.

I've seen certain people on this forum respond by saying "oh well they have to operate somewhere", which is a fair point. But they're without a doubt concentrated on East Birmingham, and I agree with it. I'm sure monkeyjoe will be livid lol.

If it were a case of "they have to operate somewhere," the older buses would be spread around the network better, rather than concentrated on routes like the 14/55/72/73/94/97. X12 is more of an anomaly as it serves some more affluent areas in Solihull & around the Airport, and speeds past some of the dumps lol.

I'm not livid I'm actually pleased people are acknowledging that my observations are correct. In terms of less affluent area debate and teenagers thugs etc. it doesn't stop druids Heath and Bartley green areas getting investment all the time. 

MW

Some of you may have already seen this. It's gone viral now. Bunch of ABSO teenagers picking on another. And it's in none of the areas we've mentioned. Walsall apparently.

Jack

Quote from: MW on January 29, 2020, 12:26:46 PM

Some of you may have already seen this. It's gone viral now. Bunch of ABSO teenagers picking on another. And it's in none of the areas we've mentioned. Walsall apparently.
It happened on a 51, that's what I've been told.

Stu

Quote from: MW on January 29, 2020, 12:26:46 PM

An arrest has been made:
https://www.west-midlands.police.uk/news/arrest-made-police-probe-viral-bus-assault-video

Who in their right mind thinks this is a good idea to film and then post on their Instagram page?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stu on January 29, 2020, 07:31:32 PM
An arrest has been made:
https://www.west-midlands.police.uk/news/arrest-made-police-probe-viral-bus-assault-video

Who in their right mind thinks this is a good idea to film and then post on their Instagram page?

Exactly, film it and pass the footage to the police, then it may not have taken till now for an arrest to be made.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

MW

Quote from: Stu on January 29, 2020, 07:31:32 PM
An arrest has been made:

I'd imagine it'd be to create awareness and therefore pressure the police into actually doing something about it. It's insensitive to post online, but the reality is the more "high profile" a crime is, the sooner it's dealt with. If that video hadn't gone online, would the police have acted so quickly?

Sad times, but it's the reality of it from what I know.

Stu

Quote from: MW on January 29, 2020, 07:56:36 PM
I'd imagine it'd be to create awareness and therefore pressure the police into actually doing something about it. It's insensitive to post online, but the reality is the more "high profile" a crime is, the sooner it's dealt with. If that video hadn't gone online, would the police have acted so quickly?

Sad times, but it's the reality of it from what I know.

Sadly what I was alluding to was the mentality of some young people, who film these incidents - not to raise awareness or pressure the police - but to 'boost' their own self-esteem in the quest for 'likes' and peer-approval.

That video was filmed deliberately, because some people were getting a sick pleasure from doing what they were doing, and by sharing it on their social media were just looking for 'likes' or view counts, or to 'send a message' to others.

Gosh, I sound like a real old fart now.

If I was a bystander on a bus and I saw this happening, the last thing I'd want to do is stand there and video it, I'd put a stop to it.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

Quote from: Stu on January 29, 2020, 08:28:19 PM
Sadly what I was alluding to was the mentality of some young people, who film these incidents - not to raise awareness or pressure the police - but to 'boost' their own self-esteem in the quest for 'likes' and peer-approval.

That video was filmed deliberately, because some people were getting a sick pleasure from doing what they were doing, and by sharing it on their social media were just looking for 'likes' or view counts, or to 'send a message' to others.

Gosh, I sound like a real old fart now.

If I was a bystander on a bus and I saw this happening, the last thing I'd want to do is stand there and video it, I'd put a stop to it.

Oh yes, I misunderstood. Of course. No you don't sound old. It's called being a decent human being!

One of the incidents in Solihull that I referred to above, it was 3 against 1 outside John Lewis with a crowd of around 25-30 watching and recording. I went right into the middle and stopped it. Then, the NX inspector came over to help me and the 3 kids ran off. All the time it was happening, the vast majority of the crowd had their phones out recording. There were a couple of bus enthusiasts there watching too, who may be on this forum.

MasterPlan

Quote from: monkeyjoe on January 28, 2020, 11:59:55 PM

I'm not livid I'm actually pleased people are acknowledging that my observations are correct. In terms of less affluent area debate and teenagers thugs etc. it doesn't stop druids Heath and Bartley green areas getting investment all the time.

Bit of a difference between Bartley Green and the likes of Chelmsley Wood, Alum Rock etc though.

Frankley is probably par. They've had 2 Platinum routes and both didn't last long.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Busboy105

Quote from: MasterPlan on January 29, 2020, 09:11:27 PM
Bit of a difference between Bartley Green and the likes of Chelmsley Wood, Alum Rock etc though.

Frankley is probably par. They've had 2 Platinum routes and both didn't last long.
2 platinum routes? I only remember the X61.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk