News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

West Midlands Bus patronage decline

Started by metrocity, January 27, 2020, 03:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: Tony on January 27, 2020, 04:18:15 PM
The Mail hates buses, so replublishes and old report, meanwhile in the real world... https://www.localgov.co.uk/West-Midlands-bus-passenger-numbers-rocket-by-eight-million/48722

Birmingham Mail is low-quality copy-and-paste journalism. I actually use the word 'journalism' very loosely.

I too have observed their anti-bus bias in the past.

I have no doubt that bus usage was much higher in the past (as per the figures quoted for 2009), but to then use the 2019 figure to make out there is a huge decline is misleading.

This is thrown in for 'good measure, presumably to try and hide their bias:

QuoteThe good news for bus services is that the number of journeys rose last year, compared to the year before. But the long-term trend is for fewer people to take the bus.

But they fail to even mention the 2018 figures, nor do they point out the reasons for the increase. And how do these compare against 2017 figures.

They don't even give a reference to the source of this report!

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Tony on January 27, 2020, 06:40:16 PM
What finishes at the NEC after Midnight?

So you want to come home around 04:00, well the first X12 leaves the NEC at 03:41!

At either time tell me how much your 'reasonaly cheap' uber is.

The point is uber is a preference . You will note I have made positive comments about introduction of the x12

Tony

Quote from: monkeyjoe on January 27, 2020, 07:15:46 PM
The point is uber is a preference . You will note I have made positive comments about introduction of the x12

But that wasn't what your original post said.
You obviously didn't realise the X12 ran for 22 hours a day, and your claim of Uber being 'reasonably cheap' shows you haven't used them to anywhere where hundreds of people are going to.

Uber is still losing Billions world wide financed by some people I would gladly see lose their billions, and are hoping to bankrupt other providers so they can rip people off even more than they do at busy times now.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Stu on January 27, 2020, 07:14:17 PM
Birmingham Mail is low-quality copy-and-paste journalism. I actually use the word 'journalism' very loosely.

I too have observed their anti-bus bias in the past.

I have no doubt that bus usage was much higher in the past (as per the figures quoted for 2009), but to then use the 2019 figure to make out there is a huge decline is misleading.

This is thrown in for 'good measure, presumably to try and hide their bias:

But they fail to even mention the 2018 figures, nor do they point out the reasons for the increase. And how do these compare against 2017 figures.

They don't even give a reference to the source of this report!
Can I refer anyone interested in bus usage to read the thread I created 2019 HM BUS GOVERNMENT STATISTICS it has all the official data on bus use contained within the thread for the West Midlands and the rest of the United Kingdom the final set I Helped compile can I also remind everyone Reach is a large employer in Birmingham and prints The Metro enjoyed by many Blackheath Bus Users.

j789

This increase is obviously good news and shows that investment in quality vehicles and route promotion does work. I read an article this week about the large passenger increase first has seen in Bristol and how this has had a large increase on profits. This seems mostly down to the large scale investment in the metro is project plus upgrading core routes with new buses. First has been struggling of late but this shows what can happen with investment in the right places, better services  for passengers and more profit for the company, win-win!

Quote from: Tony on January 27, 2020, 07:21:45 PM
But that wasn't what your original post said.
You obviously didn't realise the X12 ran for 22 hours a day, and your claim of Uber being 'reasonably cheap' shows you haven't used them to anywhere where hundreds of people are going to.

Uber is still losing Billions world wide financed by some people I would gladly see lose their billions, and are hoping to bankrupt other providers so they can rip people off even more than they do at busy times now.
Only between Clock Garage and Solihull. So depends what stop he wanted.
Was stood by Waitrose in Solihull and 6830 went past on the 876 earlier looking dangerously overcrowded.

And in East Birmingham they use overcrowded old buses on the Washwood Heath Road and Alum Rock Road corridors, don't think these passengers ever see any investment
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Gareth

Quote from: 2206 on January 27, 2020, 08:30:38 PM

And in East Birmingham they use overcrowded old buses on the Washwood Heath Road and Alum Rock Road corridors, don't think these passengers ever see any investment

We all know that buses are not over crowded. We've all been many time on a bus that has 7people standing up and the driver then drives past all the other stops not picking up! Remember some of these buses allow a huge amount of standing passengers, and I've never seen a bus at full capacity.

I'm an East Birmingham boy, I'd be the first to want brand new buses. But the 94 is now mainly E400, the 55 will soon all be refurbed Scanias. The 14 let's the side down a bit, but even that's getting E400 recently!

richardjones210368

Quote from: Gareth on January 27, 2020, 10:39:39 PM
We all know that buses are not over crowded. We've all been many time on a bus that has 7people standing up and the driver then drives past all the other stops not picking up! Remember some of these buses allow a huge amount of standing passengers, and I've never seen a bus at full capacity.

I'm an East Birmingham boy, I'd be the first to want brand new buses. But the 94 is now mainly E400, the 55 will soon all be refurbed Scanias. The 14 let's the side down a bit, but even that's getting E400 recently!
Services through Rowley Regis are regularly overcrowded often dangerously since the Service Cuts in September 2018 when Leasowes & St Micks pupils are coming home boarding services as the incumbent bus operator no longer provides satisfactory capacity.

Quote from: Gareth on January 27, 2020, 10:39:39 PM

94 is Gemini and E400. Not mostly E400. Plus the odd Omnicity. Even those E400 are now 11 years old.
55 has cramped, overcrowded old Omnilink, i'd much rather an old trident or gemini over one of them.
I've seen pleanty of NX buses full to capacity and dangerously overcrowded, with people also standing on the stairs and top deck and 20+ people standing on them. Not 7 and a lot of those that drive past can be very overcrowded. Including the 55 and 94, can only assume you've never used a peak time NX service.

And compared to West Birmingham, i'd say the main corridors in the East such ast the 55/94 and 14 are neglected compared to those in West Birmingham which have all new platinums.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MW

The funniest one is the standing capacity on an Eclipse 2. 52 standing I'm sure 😂😂😂

Jack

Have you forgotten about the 97? The frequent of all of them and they still use 17 year old Tridents.

MW

Personally, I've always regarded Chelmsley Wood and the surrounding areas as (without causing offence) right s*itholes. The kinds of areas with gangs of kids hanging around with ABSOs.

When I say Chelmsley Wood, I also regard the 3-4 miles around it as part of it, so Bromford, Stechford, Kitts Green, Marston Green, Alum Rock, Bordesley Green etc.

Anyways, isn't that the reason why they don't get new buses on that side of the city? The only other places I can think of that are as undesirable as Chelmsley Wood is Soho Road, but only between Hockley Flyover & the M5 roundabout.

Wumpty

Quote from: MW on January 28, 2020, 11:53:41 AM
Personally, I've always regarded Chelmsley Wood and the surrounding areas as (without causing offence) right s*itholes. The kinds of areas with gangs of kids hanging around with ABSOs.

When I say Chelmsley Wood, I also regard the 3-4 miles around it as part of it, so Bromford, Stechford, Kitts Green, Marston Green, Alum Rock, Bordesley Green etc.

Anyways, isn't that the reason why they don't get new buses on that side of the city? The only other places I can think of that are as undesirable as Chelmsley Wood is Soho Road, but only between Hockley Flyover & the M5 roundabout.

Perhaps a tad unfair to generalise Chelmsley Wood as you have done, though I accept every large town/city has suburbs/areas that are less affluent. I live in Wolverhampton and came from North Walsall which, the latter, has quite a reputation in Blakenall, Beechdale, Coalpool and Goscote - there are some very respectable people that live in these areas and those who are less desirable, though I'm not convinced that the area dictates what buses are run on the routes. I'm sure @Tony can enlighten us on the criteria for each area.

I've worked in Chelmsley Wood, Castles Bromwich and Vale and they are, arguably, not as desirable as Edgbaston or Harborne, though equally, if not more important to bus travel. The routes that run to/from here in the 55/94/97/67 are vital to their community and whilst some may still have 17 year old Tridents on them, they are maintain to a very high standard and refurbed accordingly, considerably better than their competitors using ageing Darts of various colours, interiors and levels of comfort and repair.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Trident 4194

With low affluence comes low ownership of cars and therefore increased bus usage within the area. Could be reason why 94,97,14 always seem rammed. Chelmsley Wood KFC recently had metal bars put between workers and customers, says a lot about how unsafe the workers feel

BK63 YWP

I swear I saw some rumours about the YW 19/69 plate platinums (ones for the 6) are due to move to BC (45/47) once the electric buses arrive with the 13 plates moving on to the 97 with those tridents going elsewhere?
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk