News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

West Midlands Bus patronage decline

Started by metrocity, January 27, 2020, 03:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK

I'm not surprised by this.

For me, the biggest frustration is how congested the roads are, meaning that many bus journies into Birmingham City Centre simply take far too long.

I'm not talking about rush hour here - an example is my regular journey on a Saturday afternoon from my parent's house in Smethwick (Galton Bridge) to Birmingham City Centre (Colmore Row). This is a journey of approximately 4.5 miles.
On far too many occasions, my 87 bus would be delayed due to congestion in many of the following areas :-
Smethwick High St (Blue Gates area),
Victoria Park (ASDA)
Cape Hill,
Dudley Road,
Summerfield Park to City Hospital,
Summer Row,
Great Charles St Queensway

Now even if this 87 journey went as timetabled, we are still looking at 45 mins approx for a 4.5 - 5 mile journey, which is simply too long. I'd say that my average journey-time was closer to 50-55 minutes, which i just don't have the spare time or patience for any more. So its little wonder that i now use the train instead (9 minutes from Galton Bridge to New St).

I'm not having a pop at NXWM here - its just the state of the world that we live in. Our cities are overcrowded and something radical needs to be done to prioritise public transport on our road system. People tell me change is coming... but like the speed of our roads, the changes are coming at a snail's pace.

Tony

monkeyjoe

I was happy to use the buses when in London, however here no. The corridor here old and dirty and stops miles away from core places in the city. On a positive would consider using the fairly new x12 to a gig at NEC, then again Uber wouldn't have the walk and for now reasonably cheap.

Tony

Quote from: monkeyjoe on January 27, 2020, 05:57:47 PM
I was happy to use the buses when in London, however here no. The corridor here old and dirty and stops miles away from core places in the city. On a positive would consider using the fairly new x12 to a gig at NEC, then again Uber wouldn't have the walk and for now reasonably cheap.

I would like to see how much Uber would charge you to get home from a gig at the NEC!

Sandy Lane

Nice to see an increase in passengers (7.8 million) quoted for the West Mids.
Is that an increase of 21,370 passengers per day?

If you then work out how many bus routes there are in the WM and then the number of services on each route the increase will be a very small number. Thats too big a calc for me to do - anyone fancy having a go?

Tony

Quote from: Sandy Lane on January 27, 2020, 06:06:01 PM
Nice to see an increase in passengers (7.8 million) quoted for the West Mids.
Is that an increase of 21,370 passengers per day?

If you then work out how many bus routes there are in the WM and then the number of services on each route the increase will be a very small number. Thats too big a calc for me to do - anyone fancy having a go?

how ever you look at it 21,000 a day is a huge number, over 300 routes that's still 70 or a complete bus full. I bet everywhere else in the country wishes their routes were getting an extra 70 passengers a day.

Steve3229vp

The only way to get more people on buses is to stop just tinkering with a little bus priority here and a bus gate there and go big on these priorities and i mean BIG!  NXWM have improved on quality on there buses and I'm sure I've seen statements on this forum to state that passenger numbers increase when Platinum buses have been introduced. So if this the case then stop cars from passing through the City Centre (not in a few years time but NOW), Major traffic schemes in and out to speed buses up and get people moving!

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Tony on January 27, 2020, 06:01:20 PM
I would like to see how much Uber would charge you to get home from a gig at the NEC!

The x12 wouldn't be running either so the only option I guess.

Tony

Quote from: monkeyjoe on January 27, 2020, 06:20:14 PM
The x12 wouldn't be running either so the only option I guess.

How many concerts have you been to that finish after 00:15?

Ken Dodd has passed away now!

richardjones210368

Quote from: Tony on January 27, 2020, 06:23:20 PM

A/ha's sets are always late finishes in Brum good job Spoons is open till 2am for the 02:30 PN9 @Tony The late night PN9s are an excellent service and a credit to West Midlands Travel Limited I would reccomend them to anyone and use them regularly.

winston

Quote from: Steve3229vp on January 27, 2020, 06:12:05 PM
The only way to get more people on buses is to stop just tinkering with a little bus priority here and a bus gate there and go big on these priorities and i mean BIG!  NXWM have improved on quality on there buses and I'm sure I've seen statements on this forum to state that passenger numbers increase when Platinum buses have been introduced. So if this the case then stop cars from passing through the City Centre (not in a few years time but NOW), Major traffic schemes in and out to speed buses up and get people moving!

Bus Lanes/Bus priorities throughout that are enforced, cars banned completely from City Centres, shop deliveries out of hours, numerous new Park & Ride sites with high quality shuttle buses & higher quality infrastructure for waiting bus passengers. Drop Sprint & drop small Metro extensions.

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Tony on January 27, 2020, 06:23:20 PM

I used the word gig, when I leave don't get home before 0400. Ken dood didn't even know he did concerts to be fair, not for me.

richardjones210368

Quote from: monkeyjoe on January 27, 2020, 06:33:55 PM
I used the word gig, when I leave don't get home before 0400. Ken dood didn't even know he did concerts to be fair, not for me.
By the time I have walked home from Quinton Church it's close to 4am it's not a good gig if ur home before 4am. Remember @monkeyjoe @Tony only wants to spread happiness, happiness that's the thing he processes I thank the Lord that @Tony processes more than his share of happiness l

Tony

Quote from: monkeyjoe on January 27, 2020, 06:33:55 PM

What finishes at the NEC after Midnight?

So you want to come home around 04:00, well the first X12 leaves the NEC at 03:41!

At either time tell me how much your 'reasonaly cheap' uber is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk