News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

South Birmingham Consultation 2017

Started by Stu, July 25, 2017, 08:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Quote from: Dom on June 30, 2018, 09:11:39 AM
Posters now being stuck into bus stops.

Disappointingly they do not contain that much information in my opinion. Simply saying changes are happening and to check the website.

Just seen one in town
It's just an A4 poster, likely to get lost amongst other stuff and ignored, especially when you consider there's still posters up in places regarding service changes years ago
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

markcf83

Quote from: MasterPlan on June 29, 2018, 02:17:34 PM
https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/south-birmingham-service-changes/city-centre-bus-stop-information

Looks like the 45/47 have been kicked off of Carrs Lane too.

By the looks of it,all that's happened to them is the stop is closer to the shops on High Street and Bull Street.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Mike K

Quote from: MasterPlan on June 30, 2018, 01:11:09 PM
Yep, and I reckon a lot of irreperable damage has been done with these changes.

I've seen posts on a couple of websites bemoaning the lack of a service to the city centre from Shenley Lane. To me, that, Barnes Hill and the Alwold Road end of Weoley Castle are the biggest shocks to come out of the review. It's not like they're minor inconsequential areas where a link to the city would be a nice to have. It's a glaring omission.

It's a shame there's no viable competition to NX in Birmingham, as there would be a potential opportunity there for another operator in those areas.

And agree re the bus stop posters - just giving a link and telling you to read the website is no help at all to the likes of the elderly in particular.

MasterPlan

Quote from: Mike K on June 30, 2018, 01:48:44 PM
I've seen posts on a couple of websites bemoaning the lack of a service to the city centre from Shenley Lane. To me, that, Barnes Hill and the Alwold Road end of Weoley Castle are the biggest shocks to come out of the review. It's not like they're minor inconsequential areas where a link to the city would be a nice to have. It's a glaring omission.

It's a shame there's no viable competition to NX in Birmingham, as there would be a potential opportunity there for another operator in those areas.

This is true but they clearly don't give a toss. Most of the complaints on the FB page have been about the 29 going. But as somebody said, there's no point filling out that form they keep suggesting towards as it's not like the decision will be reversed. Stretching out the X21 to Gregory Avenue to try and cover it is laughable.
I'd love someone like Diamond put on their own service like the 29 but sadly that won't happen. So it's like it or lump it.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Westy

Has Diamond or any other competing operator ever introduced a brand new route of their own, instead of shadowing NX?
(Not counting any routes they've taken over from NX!)

Here in Walsall, I can't think of any!

Dom

Quote from: MasterPlan on June 30, 2018, 01:11:09 PM
Yep, and I reckon a lot of irreperable damage has been done with these changes.

How on earth can you say that when the changes haven't even took place yet?

MasterPlan

Quote from: Dom on June 30, 2018, 03:30:00 PM
How on earth can you say that when the changes haven't even took place yet?

And how can you say anything when none of these changes affect you? Silly me, you know all don't you...

Quote from: markcf83 on June 30, 2018, 01:37:34 PM
By the looks of it,all that's happened to them is the stop is closer to the shops on High Street and Bull Street.
Yes, they're just being moved 2 stops up the road closer to the shops.
They'll stop at there old stop on the High Street outside Boots, before the stops around there were moved about  last time.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Dom

Quote from: MasterPlan on June 30, 2018, 03:36:07 PM
And how can you say anything when none of these changes affect you? Silly me, you know all don't you...

I haven't commented. I've simply said to you that at this moment in time you cannot judge half the changes, simply because they haven't happened and a majority are new routes.

Never have I said I know all either.

MasterPlan

Quote from: Dom on June 30, 2018, 05:15:48 PM
I haven't commented. I've simply said to you that at this moment in time you cannot judge half the changes, simply because they haven't happened and a majority are new routes.

Never have I said I know all either.

Quote from: Dom on June 28, 2018, 03:24:56 PM
Some very interesting changes i must say.

The stop changes seem positive aswell. I can see these changes being an improvement if I'm honest.

There's your comment. How can you know if they'll be an improvement? I have my opinions, as you have yours.

No you haven't said it, but I can tell by the way you speak to people on this forum.

Dom

Quote from: MasterPlan on June 30, 2018, 05:41:43 PM
There's your comment. How can you know if they'll be an improvement? I have my opinions, as you have yours.

No you haven't said it, but I can tell by the way you speak to people on this forum.

About stop changes in the city centre, a place I work most days....

Stu

Before this turns into an argument, yes, we all have our opinions, and we might not agree with the changes being made, or with other peoples' opinions on the matter, but keep discussions civilised please.

All I'll add to the discussion is: anyone remember the East Birmingham/North Solihull changes? A lot of people were unhappy with the changes being made at the time, and a lot of angry complaints were made. But guess what happened? People adapted to the changes, and got on with their lives.

The same thing will happen with these South Birmingham changes, I see a lot of the same comments "why do they keep changing things?", and "its not fair that (insert street name) no longer has a direct link to (insert area)" etc etc. People can either whine, moan or whinge about the changes (probably the same people who never bothered to take part in the consultation last year, or don't even use the services anyway!) or analyse, plan, and adapt to the changes that are forthcoming.

I recall one operator modifying one of their routes (Claribels?) to accomodate a road that had lost a bus service following lots of noisy complaints. Yet that was withdrawn a few months later due to lack of use.

And yes, I know that not everybody has access to the internet, and the information at bus stops is not very helpful, but we all have a duty to spread the word and make sure that people get informed that would not ordinarily be aware until the changes actually happen.

SO if you could all keep this polite and civilised, and stop the sniping at each other, that would be appreciated.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on June 30, 2018, 06:40:38 PM
I recall one operator modifying one of their routes (Claribels?) to accomodate a road that had lost a bus service following lots of noisy complaints. Yet that was withdrawn a few months later due to lack of use.
Yes it was claribels.
They rerouted their 71E service and renumbered it 71A to serve Berwicks Road, Coleshill Road and Station Road in the Marston Green/Chelmsley Wood area following the rerouting of the NX 72, which left those roads without a bus service and they also extended it to Kingshurst following the NX 71 being rerouted along the Chester Road due to complaints that Kingshurst would be left without a service to Solihull.
It was withdrawn just a few months later and claribels came of the Solihull to Chelmsley Wood corridor and went onto the tendered routes (600, 167 and 168) in the Erdington area.
The tendered hourly offpeak 91 service operated by Diamond (previously Central Buses) was rerouted to cover the loss of the 71A along Coleshill Road and Berwicks Lane.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Eric Shaw

With respect to the East Birmingham/North Solihull changes a lot of protests were made at the axing of the 59 route, but nothing has happened and no independents have come forward to run a replacement.

Stu

I've just noticed on the City Centre map (https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/south-birmingham-service-changes/city-centre-bus-stop-information) that it mentions that "all buses towards Stratford Road now run along Digbeth High Street and Camp Hill (instead of Bradford Street)" yet this is not mentioned in the changes to the 2 & 3 or 5?

Also with regard to the 5, while it mentions that Springfield Road will no longer be served and will use Showell Green Road instead, it is not clear exactly what route it will take inbetween. Will it use Yardley Wood Road, then Wake Green Road to Cole Bank Road, or will it continue along Yardley Wood Road (alongside the 2 and 3), then follow the 11A/C along Swanshurst Lane?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk