News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Presidents

Started by Solo1, July 01, 2016, 02:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Dylanbusboy45 on July 01, 2016, 07:51:03 PM
Are they the fire damaged ones etc Phil or are they newly withdrawn ones?

Neither, both fire damaged ones have gone for scrap, and only 4070 of the recent withdrawals has reached Miller Street

Dylanbusboy45

Quote from: Tony on July 01, 2016, 07:53:10 PM
Neither, both fire damaged ones have gone for scrap, and only 4070 of the recent withdrawals has reached Miller Street

Ok thanks @Tony

Busman Jamie

Some presidents are looking tired but some look quite tidy for their age,

filbus1

Quote from: Busman Jamie on July 01, 2016, 08:01:05 PM
Some presidents are looking tired but some look quite tidy for their age,
Most of AGs look a bit past it, all those journeys on the 11 although most of West Broms look not too bad.

MW

The ones at AG are knackered.

Their glory days were back a good few years ago when they were fairly new, at garages like AG/BC/PB/WA/YW and when they were newly refurbished on routes 1 and 451. I still remember seeing 4115 and 4033 for the first time after refurb, they looked so good. When I last drove 4033, it was a rattling lump of s***. I always liked Presidents, but when I became a driver, I started hating them.

Busman Jamie

Only drove 1 president and that was type training lol, I only drive the scanias lol

andy41

Quote from: MW on July 01, 2016, 09:56:02 PM
The ones at AG are knackered.

Their glory days were back a good few years ago when they were fairly new, at garages like AG/BC/PB/WA/YW and when they were newly refurbished on routes 1 and 451. I still remember seeing 4115 and 4033 for the first time after refurb, they looked so good. When I last drove 4033, it was a rattling lump of s***. I always liked Presidents, but when I became a driver, I started hating them.

So true. Worst cab I have ever been forced to sit in in 25 years of driving buses.

BU07 LGO

Everyone hates the presidents I find them really comfy, smooth and can open only one door when the kids try to pile on! If you want an uncomfy bus try a MMC with the rock hard driver seat and lumbar support that never seems to adjust how you want it

MW

I've found that the drivers sort of below 6 foot don't really mind the Presidents. For me, my knee can sometimes hit the steering wheel as I'm turning and that metal thing on the floor is irritating. 4062 I think, also 4042 which is in Dundee isn't it? They both have smaller Gemini steering wheels which improves cab space more than you'd think.

They're painfully slow too. 4023 is an interesting one tho, it likes to rev all the way like a Gemini when using kickdown.

I will agree that yes they are smooth, but they can judder a lot. For example when slowing down and then speeding up, you find that the whole bus judders as the bus goes back into gear. That's on certain ones anyway.

andy41

Quote from: MW on July 02, 2016, 04:24:14 PM
I've found that the drivers sort of below 6 foot don't really mind the Presidents. For me, my knee can sometimes hit the steering wheel as I'm turning and that metal thing on the floor is irritating. 4062 I think, also 4042 which is in Dundee isn't it? They both have smaller Gemini steering wheels which improves cab space more than you'd think.

They're painfully slow too. 4023 is an interesting one tho, it likes to rev all the way like a Gemini when using kickdown.

I will agree that yes they are smooth, but they can judder a lot. For example when slowing down and then speeding up, you find that the whole bus judders as the bus goes back into gear. That's on certain ones anyway.

The metal thing on the floor with no obvious purpose was infuriating. Also used to continually bash my left elbow when steering and could never find a safe/comfortable way of getting in or out of the cab. Seat can't go back far enough and everything just seems to be crammed in and in the way. But then I find the cabs in most modern deckers to be awful. I once drove a President all day and then the next day got in the cab of the preserved ECW bodied Olympian that I used to drive several of and I couldn't get over how pleasant they were to sit in which I had somehow forgotten.

MW

Quote from: andy41 on July 02, 2016, 04:34:02 PM
The metal thing on the floor with no obvious purpose was infuriating. Also used to continually bash my left elbow when steering and could never find a safe/comfortable way of getting in or out of the cab. Seat can't go back far enough and everything just seems to be crammed in and in the way. But then I find the cabs in most modern deckers to be awful. I once drove a President all day and then the next day got in the cab of the preserved ECW bodied Olympian that I used to drive several of and I couldn't get over how pleasant they were to sit in which I had somehow forgotten.

The Gemini cabs are so much better though. It's mainly in the seats I suppose. As I'm quite tall, I drop the seat all the way and slide back all the way, lifting the steering wheel up and at an angle.

Another thing in the Presidents is when you press the button to move the steering, hardly anything moves. It's all knackered.

BU07 LGO

Quote from: MW on July 02, 2016, 04:24:14 PM

They are slow, but can make up for the time lost accelerating with how quick the doors close and interlock releases. 4027 was our best it used to rev high like that

Mike K

Any chance one of the mods could get rid of the apostrophe in this thread title? A bit like "chips and pea's" on a menu, it really winds me up.
Thank you.

P419 EJW

Quote from: Mike K on July 02, 2016, 06:04:30 PM
Any chance one of the mods could get rid of the apostrophe in this thread title? A bit like "chips and pea's" on a menu, it really winds me up.
Thank you.

I'm so glad you have said this. It annoys me, too.

Mike K

Quote from: P419 EJW on July 02, 2016, 06:08:00 PM
I'm so glad you have said this. It annoys me, too.

And as if by magic...

Quality service that. Well done mods.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk