News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

NXWM Changes 24/07/16

Started by Stuharris 6360, May 31, 2016, 01:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Bob on May 31, 2016, 05:37:54 PM
I don't understand even now what the point was in changing the route numbers the 3xx and 5xx etc was a good system. Now you just have stupid duplication of route numbers etc like the 31 in brum 31 in Walsall.  Don't see what the need to mess about with a perfectly good system was ?

I agree entirely, the system for 2xx for Dudley/Stourbridge, 3xx for Walsall, 4xx for Sandwell and 5xx for Wolverhampton was a good system

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Steve3229vp on May 31, 2016, 05:48:39 PM
I agree entirely, the system for 2xx for Dudley/Stourbridge, 3xx for Walsall, 4xx for Sandwell and 5xx for Wolverhampton was a good system

Totally agree, pity the poor guy who has to visit all the bus stops between Dudley & Walsall just to remove a 3 from the flags, they must have better work that he could be doing like changing all the worn out faded flags!!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Quote from: Winston on May 31, 2016, 01:44:53 PM
I wonder if the X10 will get the full treatment including new Platinum Spec double deckers?
I've heard rumors that it will.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

P419 EJW

I don't understand even now what the point was in changing the route numbers the 3xx and 5xx etc was a good system. Now you just have stupid duplication of route numbers etc like the 31 in brum 31 in Walsall.  Don't see what the need to mess about with a perfectly good system was ?

I vehemently concur; the old number system was brilliant. I've said the same to drivers whilst discussing about the upcoming changes. One said "Apparently it is expensive to have three digit numbers." I think that's an amusing response but who knows... Hmm... ::)

Tony

Quote from: P419 EJW on May 31, 2016, 06:19:26 PM
I vehemently concur; the old number system was brilliant. I've said the same to drivers whilst discussing about the upcoming changes. One said "Apparently it is expensive to have three digit numbers." I think that's an amusing response but who knows... Hmm... ::)

What baffles me is why NXWM having duplicate numbers is alleged to confuse locals and annoy enthusiasts, yet loads of other companies do, including Arriva Midlands, but it is OK for them

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on May 31, 2016, 06:29:02 PM
What baffles me is why NXWM having duplicate numbers is alleged to confuse locals and annoy enthusiasts, yet loads of other companies do, including Arriva Midlands, but it is OK for them

yes but is it NXWM who is making these decisions or Network West Midlands.

It was in the early 1970s that WMPTE said they wanted to standardise numbers to avoid confusion and the 2xx Dudley 5xx Wolverhampton scheme worked very well, IMO if the system ain't broken, don't try and mend it!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Westy

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on May 31, 2016, 06:15:53 PM
Totally agree, pity the poor guy who has to visit all the bus stops between Dudley & Walsall just to remove a 3 from the flags, they must have better work that he could be doing like changing all the worn out faded flags!!

Wouldnt they do new flags anyway?

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Westy on May 31, 2016, 06:46:21 PM
Wouldnt they do new flags anyway?

probably but it still seems a waste of time.

Stu

But those two examples are routes nowhere near each other (geographically). You'd have to be very dim to get those mixed up. There are bus route 31s all over the country, would people get those confused with each other?

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on May 31, 2016, 06:34:09 PM
yes but is it NXWM who is making these decisions or Network West Midlands.

I believe it is Centro/Network West Midlands who are doing this, on the back of feedback received from passengers. It's not being done for a laugh. The idea I believe is to give each area it's own 'local network'.

Quote from: P419 EJW on May 31, 2016, 06:19:26 PM
One said "Apparently it is expensive to have three digit numbers." I think that's an amusing response but who knows... Hmm... ::)

Sounds like someone trying to pull your leg! I've suggested this before, but with most buses having digital destination displays now (whether LED or flipdot), a three digit route number takes up a lot of room on the display, so having a one or two-digit route number allows more room for the destination and via points to be displayed clearly. That's my theory anyway! ;)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Westy

The 31 & 32 details are slightly incorrect, unless they are extending both routes onto the Turnberry & interworking?

Bob

Quote from: Tony on May 31, 2016, 06:29:02 PM

Arriva never had the good system (2xx 3xx) that the west midlands have

Metroman

Where can we see the stops of the new X10 route?

Other Walsall Tony

No mention of the WA40 being replaced by the 33?  Or have I missed something?
Tony

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Metroman on May 31, 2016, 08:45:16 PM
Where can we see the stops of the new X10 route?

@Metroman , Karl says

Colmore row all stops to five ways
First stop Hagley road after five ways under pass
Ivy bush
Portland road
Gillett road
Sandon road
Bearwood after lights
Wolverhampton road
Jeffersons
Quinton.

Sure that is similar to the old X2, 902 Limited stop services between Birmingham & Hasbury

karl724223

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on May 31, 2016, 09:05:22 PM
@Metroman , Karl says

Colmore row all stops to five ways
First stop Hagley road after five ways under pass
Ivy bush
Portland road
Gillett road
Sandon road
Bearwood after lights
Wolverhampton road
Jeffersons
Quinton.

Sure that is similar to the old X2, 902 Limited stop services between Birmingham & Hasbury
they were only my thoughts

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk