News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

WrightBus StreetDeck - Discussion/Sightings/Route Allocation (Not PN gossip)

Started by BK63 YWP, January 21, 2016, 02:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

At the end of the day, it's just another bus.

We're just all going to wait and see what NX decide to do, once they've done all their evaluations. I can only see passenger opinions making a small contribution, no doubt much of the evaluation will be based on comparing performance against the E400, as well as opinions from drivers and engineering staff. Because after all, if it turns out to be less fuel-efficient and a pain for engineering to maintain, and thus more costly to run, then there's no point in bulk-ordering more.

So in my mind it's really too early to be speculating on how many will be coming in total and which garages they'll go to, as I bet even NX don't know yet!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

BU07 LGO

Wonder if it will be like 4697 and 4698 where the enviro was favoured but they still ordered 4777-4781 so they had a small batch?

j789

The streetdecks I get to drive with First are nice buses, much better than the Streetlites. The engine copes fine with hills around Malvern and with full loads so cant see this being an issue. A couple of ours have already made it onto the 144 so who knows they might bump into each other in Brum (hopefully not literally though!!!) I have never driven an Enviro 400 so couldn't compare the two but from what I have heard from NXWM drivers, I think the Streetdeck will go down well.

ARBB

Quote from: j789 on January 24, 2016, 07:34:47 PM
The streetdecks I get to drive with First are nice buses, much better than the Streetlites. The engine copes fine with hills around Malvern and with full loads so cant see this being an issue. A couple of ours have already made it onto the 144 so who knows they might bump into each other in Brum (hopefully not literally though!!!) I have never driven an Enviro 400 so couldn't compare the two but from what I have heard from NXWM drivers, I think the Streetdeck will go down well.

Basically 4800's far nicer to drive...... 6100's ok along certain parts of the route, don't like hills or pulling away at roundabouts but the heating in the cab is great.

Liberator9

@j789

Interesting to hear - I'm right in thinking your Streetdecks are fitted with the D854.6 four speed Voiths?

Will be interesting to see which gearbox the NX example has actually got.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Liberator9 on January 24, 2016, 09:00:02 PM
@j789

Interesting to hear - I'm right in thinking your Streetdecks are fitted with the D854.6 four speed Voiths?

Something strangulated and terrible no doubt
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Liverpool Street on January 24, 2016, 09:14:45 PM
Something strangulated and terrible no doubt

Don't know @Liverpool Street , would have thought this one would be perfect if they are trying for orders, probably the production models that won't be,
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Liberator9

@Liverpool Street

;) Haha - Know what you mean! Rather interesting when riding an E400 (63 reg) with GoAhead - same ZF gearbox except very good on accelerating - all to do with the gearbox setup really.

Haven't heard a ZF Streetdeck - but the Voiths are pretty good - I know Brighton's versions were slow up hills though but that may've been improved in the latest versions.

j789

Quote from: Liberator9 on January 24, 2016, 09:00:02 PM
@j789

I know the 64 reg streetlites have Voiths but am unsure of the new 65 Streetlites and Streetdecks. I actually thought they were Mercedes engines but like I say, I am unsure of the details.

don

3301 looks very smart indeed. Does it have bonded glazing - i noticed this morning that Go Ahead Metrobus's WHV class have gasket glazing and look a lot less neat.

That angular front is definitely an acquired taste - there are mixed opinions - I've heard them referred to variously by very young children as Frankenstein buses (frightening I guess to them), or handsome, chisel jaw buses (by commuters) - I quite like them now - thought they were hideous when I first saw them - still object to being subjected to shallow upper deck windows though (I believe TfL are the culprits - via NBFL).
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Tony

It has now arrived at BC and I have just been down to have a look over it.

Driver's cab is very basic with minimal dials,switches and lights (which I like)
It has a Voith gearbox for those interested in such things.
Seating is 45 over 29 with plenty of legroom for me at 6 foot.
The narrow windows which stem from the weight reduction more than TfL spec don't seem chlostraphobic or dark at all, and sat in the front corner seats the view doesn't seem to be as bad as you would think it is with those thick pillars. I haven't had chance to drive it yet, but certainly from a passenger point of view I like it.

Photos of the inside and out will be on the main site tonight

paulb1973

Quote from: Tony on January 25, 2016, 02:33:52 PM

Driver's cab is very basic with minimal dials,switches and lights (which I like)
The narrow windows which stem from the weight reduction more than TfL spec don't seem chlostraphobic or dark at all, and sat in the front corner seats the view doesn't seem to be as bad as you would think it is with those thick pillars. I haven't had chance to drive it yet, but certainly from a passenger point of view I like it.

The only chassis/engine designation other than Wright StreetDeck is 'SA9DDRSXX15' - does that apply to this vehicle. The registration has been given out as SM65 WNC, is that correct? H45/29F seems appropriate as quite a few Wright Eclipse Gemini's are to that configuration.

Tony

Quote from: paulb1973 on January 25, 2016, 03:00:32 PM
The only chassis/engine designation other than Wright StreetDeck is 'SA9DDRSXX15' - does that apply to this vehicle. The registration has been given out as SM65 WNC, is that correct? H45/29F seems appropriate as quite a few Wright Eclipse Gemini's are to that configuration.

The chassis is a StreetDeck no code, those are just the first few charactors of the VIN
Registration is SM65 WNC

PM

Quote from: Tony on January 25, 2016, 02:33:52 PM

Interesting observations! It certainly looks very smart from the outside and I imagine the inside will as well, especially in current NX spec interior. The main complaint with StreetDecks to date seems to be difficulty getting up hills, with suggestions they're great in the city but can't match some other types on testing hilly terrain.

paulb1973

Quote from: Tony on January 25, 2016, 03:02:33 PM
The chassis is a StreetDeck no code, those are just the first few charactors of the VIN
Registration is SM65 WNC

Ah right [the only code I'd come across, I meant] I suppose the body is 'Wright StreetDeck H45/29F' - although its an integral design.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk