News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Repaints / retrims 2015

Started by Tony, January 09, 2015, 10:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnoc

Quote from: Tony on November 05, 2015, 07:11:49 PM
Since my last full list just over 2 weeks ago - Geminis are quick to do!
You think any ALX400's are going for crimson any time soon?

JoNi

Recently attended Passenger meeting where it was stated there would be 1000 Crimson vehicles and 200 Platinum NX buses by 2020.
No details as to how many are new or repainted!

BU07 LGO

Posted in the AG thread but 4534 and 4815 are now done :)

Liberator9

The refurbs are great - look far better.

However two things that need work on in regards to the Geminis; firstly - respray the seatbacks into the NX grey (if possible?) - the blue backs just looks weird with the current moquette. Secondly the poles and seat handles need repainting as well in the brighter, newer red. The Geminis and Tridents have badly faded pinkish poles now. Have noticed on a few of the Tridents (forget the numbers of them at YW now) that they have had this done. There isn't an issue on the E400s or Scanias as it's the correct red shade and hasn't worn down.

Suppose though it comes down to cost - probably not cheap to respray the poles or seatbacks. At least the seats are all done and the bus given a deep clean and excellent repaint.

John

Quote from: Liberator9 on November 05, 2015, 07:50:41 PM

However two things that need work on in regards to the Geminis; firstly - respray the seatbacks into the NX grey (if possible?) - the blue backs just looks weird with the current moquette. Secondly the poles and seat handles need repainting as well in the brighter, newer red. The Geminis and Tridents have badly faded pinkish poles now. Have noticed on a few of the Tridents (forget the numbers of them at YW now) that they have had this done. There isn't an issue on the E400s or Scanias as it's the correct red shade and hasn't worn down.

Suppose though it comes down to cost - probably not cheap to respray the poles or seatbacks. At least the seats are all done and the bus given a deep clean and excellent repaint.

I don't think that the seat backs could be repainted. They would have to buy a new set of grey ones, it would be a lot easier than taking them off the seat frames, repainting them, waiting for them to dry and reattaching them, vandalism and damage would still be on them too, whereas replacing them, they are new. I do agree with people though, that the blue doesn't sit right with the grey moquette, but it does lighten up the interior

Liberator9

@John

Thanks John - did have seeds of doubt in my mind regarding whether they could actually respray the seat backs. Would be pricier then if they had to replace all the seatbacks. Yeah - the blue doesn't sit right.

My favourite interior would actually have to be the Gemini 2 hybrids BC have - really like the green moquette they have and the wooden effect partition downstairs.

Tony

Quote from: John on November 05, 2015, 09:13:11 PM
I don't think that the seat backs could be repainted. They would have to buy a new set of grey ones, it would be a lot easier than taking them off the seat frames, repainting them, waiting for them to dry and reattaching them, vandalism and damage would still be on them too, whereas replacing them, they are new. I do agree with people though, that the blue doesn't sit right with the grey moquette, but it does lighten up the interior

Hi John

The paintshop can and do paint some seat sets, but it is a lengthy process and not cheap

Liberator9

Assume that's just reserved for any seats that have been heavily vandalised then. Makes sense now why it's not usually worth repainting them then if it's going to be a long and expensive process.

BU07 LGO

Quote from: Liberator9 on November 05, 2015, 07:50:41 PM

The older buses like geminis and tridebts you mention actually had pink bars from new it was only when the moquette changed they began to use red poles!

Also some of WB alx have a few resprayed seat backs which look to have had the etching sanded out and are a slightly darker shade of blue!

Liberator9

@BU07 LGO

That's true - stupid me.  ::) Been using the things for 10 years so should know that. Remember when the Trident 2s were new at Wolverhampton replacing some of the Metrobuses they had the pink.

Of course the B10Ls had their bars repainted from the orange into pink - e.g 1407 and 1434. Would therefore be nice to see some consistency and have the pink bars similarly redone into the newer red (at least on the Gemini Crimson refurbishments). Problem is now that just some of the pink bars are fading off a bit now and look naff in comparison to the newer red shades and new seat covers. 

Yeah I've noticed some have had the seatbacks had attention on some refurbs - couple of YW Tridents have had that treatment as well. Looks better for having it. Etching is the worst part on the seatbacks - think that fine felt stuff they use on some later Citaros (some Stagecoach Gold have it as well) seats is quite effective - can't etch on it or draw on it really either.

BU07 LGO

Quote from: Liberator9 on November 05, 2015, 11:35:54 PM
@BU07 LGO

That's true - stupid me.  ::) Been using the things for 10 years so should know that. Remember when the Trident 2s were new at Wolverhampton replacing some of the Metrobuses they had the pink.

Of course the B10Ls had their bars repainted from the orange into pink - e.g 1407 and 1434. Would therefore be nice to see some consistency and have the pink bars similarly redone into the newer red (at least on the Gemini Crimson refurbishments). Problem is now that just some of the pink bars are fading off a bit now and look naff in comparison to the newer red shades and new seat covers. 

Yeah I've noticed some have had the seatbacks had attention on some refurbs - couple of YW Tridents have had that treatment as well. Looks better for having it. Etching is the worst part on the seatbacks - think that fine felt stuff they use on some later Citaros (some Stagecoach Gold have it as well) seats is quite effective - can't etch on it or draw on it really either.

Yeah they are quite vulnerable I've noticed a few platinums with etched seat backs too akready!

uniquicity

4760 is back from paint. Out on Dudley Rd today

There's this  company clever flockers they can spray most surfaces with flock and gives the appearance of Alcantra used in up market cars, but ultimately it boils down to cost , you just know top deck is open to vandalism , it's a losing game up there .

JoNi

Well put doors at bottom stairs to prevent people going up there at certain times as others do.
If the CCTV is so good why aren't people being caught!

Westy

Quote from: JoNi on November 06, 2015, 10:58:36 AM
Well put doors at bottle stairs to prevent people going up there at certain times as others do.
If the CCTV is so good why aren't people being caught!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there talk of covering up the stairs at quiet times a few years back?

(Never seen it on a Walsall route!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk