News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Lothian's New Volvo B5TL/Wright

Started by winston, March 19, 2014, 10:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Rob H

Quote from: Winston on March 19, 2014, 10:21:40 PM
What have Wright done to the Gemini body?? the extra windows up the staircase just long wrong!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barberbus/13246715793/

http://lothianbuses.com/our-community/article/volvo-gemini-b5tl-demonstator-bus

I agree Winston those staircase windows don't look right at all.
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

trident4370

All I can say is, thank goodness for the new ADL contract.

Trident 4609

Just have to agree those two windows in the middle look very out of place!

Sh4318

Quote from: Winston on March 19, 2014, 10:21:40 PM
What have Wright done to the Gemini body?? the extra windows up the staircase just long wrong!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barberbus/13246715793/

http://lothianbuses.com/our-community/article/volvo-gemini-b5tl-demonstator-bus

I can understand the idea behind the staircase windows, but it just doesn't work
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

trident4370

It looks bad enough with Bonded glazing, imagine the Rubber Sealed version.  :-\

winston

Quote from: trident4370 on March 19, 2014, 10:54:39 PM
It looks bad enough with Bonded glazing, imagine the Rubber Sealed version.  :-\

Without those stupid staircase glazing, the bonded glazing on the shallower upper deck windows looks a lot better than the gasket glazed example exhibited at the NEC. Or simply paint the window pillars black on the gasket glazed examples to achieve the same effect

trident4370

Quote from: Winston on March 19, 2014, 11:04:59 PM

Without those stupid staircase glazing, the bonded glazing on the shallower upper deck windows looks a lot better than the gasket glazed example exhibited at the NEC. Or simply paint the window pillars black on the gasket glazed examples to achieve the same effect

tbh I do prefer bonded glazing, I just meant the staircase area if it was rubber would look bad, tbh the whole bus just looks awful, IMO they have tried to copy ideas from the Borismaster and failed miserably :(

winston

Quote from: trident4370 on March 19, 2014, 11:09:25 PM
Quote from: Winston on March 19, 2014, 11:04:59 PM

tbh I do prefer bonded glazing, I just meant the staircase area if it was rubber would look bad, tbh the whole bus just looks awful, IMO they have tried to copy ideas from the Borismaster and failed miserably :(

I much prefer the Gemini design to the E400, saying that I'm inclined to agree that Wright have screwed up big style with this latest offering.

trident4370

Personally I prefer the Enviro 400 everytime, but we all have differing tastes. Wrights have ruined Gemini over the years, now it is just a shadow of the original appearance wise.  :(

Sh4318

Quote from: trident4370 on March 19, 2014, 11:31:40 PM
Personally I prefer the Enviro 400 everytime, but we all have differing tastes. Wrights have ruined Gemini over the years, now it is just a shadow of the original appearance wise.  :(

Gemini on build quality. Enviro 400 on aesthetics
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Mike K

It looks a whole lot better in the smart Lothian livery, and with bonded glazing, than the other examples seen so far. I think it will grow on me.

It's a shame we won't be seeing these on the streets of the West Midlands, the policy of dual sourcing made things more intersting. Nothing against ADL as such, but their products do feel of inferior quality compared to Wright Volvos. And they rattle like nobody's business.

Liberator9

I've ridden many of the YW Enviros now and the 13 regs on the 957; actually think they're excellent buses. I don't notice many rattles (certainly on 4718) and the suspension is very good. Wrights' Gemini is similarly very good, certainly in build quality, although this latest design certainly isn't their best appearance!

CL

They look alright, and in place in London... But Lothian, it's dreadful... They could've at least had the window going up along the staircase, like the NB4L...
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

monkeyjoe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk